Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tires

looking for reviews on tire replacement . I have been over whelmed a bit on tire rack and other sites. I wanted to hear for my fellow vett owners. Looking for a tire that I can tour and track. Now my version of track is not who is the man lol its more about doing a few laps and going home. My wife and I drive a bit on the weekend so rain is a possibility. The factory goodyear tires are noisy and the car is very easy to slide. The car has about 8k on it and all 4 tires have 3/32 on the tire gauge. So any input would be great iv seen tires all over the map as far as price goes. But im guessing I get what i pay for . Dont minding spend a few extra bucks my fear is that the super soft tread will wear down even faster then the factory tires . So thank you in advance for all your input .

Last edited by Sean Gibbs; 08-30-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I've went through three sets of Michelin PS2 on my C5 and C6 and absolutely loved them on my E-Force LS7. I just bought a set of the new PSS ZP and they are so much better than the PS2.

If you can find the new PSS, I highly recommend them over anything I've driven on my vettes.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Originally Posted by erick_e
I've went through three sets of Michelin PS2 on my C5 and C6 and absolutely loved them on my E-Force LS7. I just bought a set of the new PSS ZP and they are so much better than the PS2.

If you can find the new PSS, I highly recommend them over anything I've driven on my vettes.
What should I expect as far as life of the tire ?
I know hard driving is a factor what I am wondering is everyday driving?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Gibbs
looking for reviews on tire replacement . I have been over whelmed a bit on tire rack and other sites. I wanted to hear for my fellow vett owners. Looking for a tire that I can tour and track. Now my version of track is not who is the man lol its more about doing a few laps and going home. My wife and I drive a bit on the weekend so rain is a possibility. The factory goodyear tires are noisy and the car is very easy to slide. The car has about 8k on it and all 4 tires have 3/32 on the tire gauge. So any input would be great iv seen tires all over the map as far as price goes. But im guessing I get what i pay for . Dont minding spend a few extra bucks my fear is that the super soft tread will wear down even faster then the factory tires . So thank you in advance for all your input .
If you don't abuse the throttle the EMTs will go well in the wet. I didn't like the regular Super Cars that came on the C5Z as they seemed to hydroplane in every little dip in the highway when it was raining hard. However, the EMT version on the C6Z would blast through heavy down pours at 70+ mph even with little tread. A few years ago I was able to nail down a set of Michelin PS2 Run Flats. They have done very well from a wear and a dry/wet traction stand point. After first installing them I put 2500 miles on them driving to an NCM HPDE at Sebring. With basically a high tire mileage street alignment they handled the Sebring track very well. They are a little more expensive than the EMTs but will last a shade longer due to starting with a deeper tread depth. They don't make the same noise as the EMTs but they will make noise. Where the EMT makes noise the PS2 will not, where the PS2 makes noise the EMT will not. About the only thing that will not make noise is a slick.

Bill
Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Bridgestone RE050A run flats. I have 30,000 miles on mine and am around 4/32" tread depth left. I'll probably run them for another 10,000 miles and replace them with another set of RE050A's. I use my Z06 primarily as a long road trip car between May and Oct, not as a weekend hot rod. I put it away during the winter, so snow and ice performance isn't important to me.

I want a tire that can handle heavy rains on the Interstate at 75 MPH, temps from 32 degrees (Yellowstone and Colorado in June) to 105 degrees(St George, UT in June), from crawling up a side of a cliff on a washboard gravel road at 5 MPH to running 160+ around Talladega Super Speedway to running the Tail of the Dragon(or like roads elsewhere). Because I'm likely to be driving in some scarcely populated parts of the country, run flats are important to me.

They are quieter than the OE Goodyear's, ride slightly better, and have better traction, dry, and especially when wet. The OE Goodyear's were scary in the wet; not so with the Bridgestone's.

They are quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins, and as far as I'm concerned, are just about as good as the Michelins.

Like any tire, once they age some, they get slightly louder and loose some dry traction capability.

BTW, GM asked Bridgestone to quote on OEM tires for the C6 Z06, thus is the reason that Bridgestone makes a run flat tire that fits the Z06. The RE050A run flat was developed expressly for the Z06, and is not just another high performance tire that happens to fit the Z06. In my opinion, GM made a huge mistake when they turned down the Bridgestone's in favor of the Goodyear's as OEM tires for the Z06.

The only thing about the Bridgestone's are that they are Y rated to 186 MPH, whereas the Goodyear's and Michelin's are (Y) rated for 186+ MPH. That might be the reason GM didn't select them as OE tires for the Z06, as GM would have had to put a 186 MPH speed limiter on the car if fitted with the Bridgestone's. GM's marketing department wanted a 198 MPH Z06, not a 186 MPH Z06 that would be slower than the base C6.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-31-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i have tried many different brand tires on my corvettes. personally i think the bridgestones are no better than the goodyears. finally broke down on my last set and bought the michellins. nothing but the michellins for me from now on. my 07 z with 50k miles is on its 6th set of tires. i do drive on track quite a bit so i am ok with poor mileage from a set of tires. not ok with poor performance, the michellins perform the best for how i use my car.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been running the Bridgestones for the lat 3 years and have been very satisfied with them compared to the Goodyear's the car came with.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

After driving mine for 104K miles I'll never use anything but Michelin PSS.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:48 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Many of us use the 275/325 Michelin Pilot SuperSport non-ZP's and are pleased with them. They have high grip, good tread wear (20K+ miles likely) and are good in the wet. They are summer tires so should not be driven aggressively below 40* and not driven below 20*. Those limitations should apply to any summer only tire.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Sean Gibbs
Advanced

Ok I ended up going with the pilot super sport from tire rack. The ride quality is beyond a improvement . All road noise is gone. Planning on getting a tire plug kit and a small air compressor or small nitrogen canister to deal with emergencies. As these are not run flats. But the pss have a ton of tread and the car seems to be sticking to the road. Not sure how the 30k milliage guarantee will play out but I dont care at this point. Thanks all of you for you time and advice. All I can say is I am now super satisfied with my purchase and being a new vett owner I could not be happier.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Ok I ended up going with the pilot super sport from tire rack. The ride quality is beyond a improvement . All road noise is gone. Planning on getting a tire plug kit and a small air compressor or small nitrogen canister to deal with emergencies. As these are not run flats. But the pss have a ton of tread and the car seems to be sticking to the road. Not sure how the 30k milliage guarantee will play out but I dont care at this point. Thanks all of you for you time and advice. All I can say is I am now super satisfied with my purchase and being a new vett owner I could not be happier.
Great choice!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:37 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Bridgestone RE050A run flats. I have 30,000 miles on mine and am around 4/32" tread depth left. I'll probably run them for another 10,000 miles and replace them with another set of RE050A's. I use my Z06 primarily as a long road trip car between May and Oct, not as a weekend hot rod. I put it away during the winter, so snow and ice performance isn't important to me.

I want a tire that can handle heavy rains on the Interstate at 75 MPH, temps from 32 degrees (Yellowstone and Colorado in June) to 105 degrees(St George, UT in June), from crawling up a side of a cliff on a washboard gravel road at 5 MPH to running 160+ around Talladega Super Speedway to running the Tail of the Dragon(or like roads elsewhere). Because I'm likely to be driving in some scarcely populated parts of the country, run flats are important to me.

They are quieter than the OE Goodyear's, ride slightly better, and have better traction, dry, and especially when wet. The OE Goodyear's were scary in the wet; not so with the Bridgestone's.

They are quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins, and as far as I'm concerned, are just about as good as the Michelins.

Like any tire, once they age some, they get slightly louder and loose some dry traction capability.

BTW, GM asked Bridgestone to quote on OEM tires for the C6 Z06, thus is the reason that Bridgestone makes a run flat tire that fits the Z06. The RE050A run flat was developed expressly for the Z06, and is not just another high performance tire that happens to fit the Z06. In my opinion, GM made a huge mistake when they turned down the Bridgestone's in favor of the Goodyear's as OEM tires for the Z06.

The only thing about the Bridgestone's are that they are Y rated to 186 MPH, whereas the Goodyear's and Michelin's are (Y) rated for 186+ MPH. That might be the reason GM didn't select them as OE tires for the Z06, as GM would have had to put a 186 MPH speed limiter on the car if fitted with the Bridgestone's. GM's marketing department wanted a 198 MPH Z06, not a 186 MPH Z06 that would be slower than the base C6.
Very happy with my B-stones
Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

The 30K tread warranty is for cars with equal size tires that can be rotated. If you look at the warranty you will see it is 15K for non-rotational tire fitments like our Corvettes. Given that I have several hard track days and about 22k miles on the 275/325 non-ZP's on my C6 Z06 and the tires are still great. I have 4 32nds on the rear and 5 to 6 32nds on the front. Unfortunately the fronts will be more than 5 years old next spring when I will have to replace them before I do the Silver State Challenge which limits GS class cars to tires less than 5 years old. On my last inspection, I did notice a small amount of cupping on the inside tread of the fronts.

These tires can be rotated side to side on our cars as they are asymmetrical but not directional.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement tires

Quick Reply: [Z06] Replacement tires