Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6/C6 Z06 CA Owners *Help Needed*

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM
paisano53174
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6/C6 Z06 CA Owners *Help Needed*

I recently purchased a 2006 Z06 in Texas. I live in California. The guy assured me it was stock, with the exception of an exhaust switch.

He was the 2nd owner of the car and bought it off of his boss, who died recently.

Having never seen up close under the hood of a Z06 I had nothing to compare the stock manifolds to. Turns out the car has headers and no catalytic converters.

Believing the car to be stock, I took it for smog and of course it failed.

The catalyst and OBDII are reading not ready on the failed test.

Hoping to find some help from you guys.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
paisano53174
Cruising

My question is:

Is there a way to get this thing to pass CA emission?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There won't be a legal way to pass with what you have.

Your options are to find a shop and throw some money at them to overlook the issue and to pass you or make your car legal.

Perhaps you can find someone who is willing to trade the OEM manifolds with you. Someone would want some free headers in exchange for their manifolds. Though that does require work and you'll probably need a retune.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
paisano53174
Cruising

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
There won't be a legal way to pass with what you have.

Your options are to find a shop and throw some money at them to overlook the issue and to pass you or make your car legal.

Perhaps you can find someone who is willing to trade the OEM manifolds with you. Someone would want some free headers in exchange for their manifolds. Though that does require work and you'll probably need a retune.

Good luck.
Smog tests are done through the ECU. Is there anyway possible for a shop to pass the car if they are willing to do it? The ECU is VIN encoded correct?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

or do it the right way.swap headers with oem manifolds and install oem cats.retune.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paisano53174
Smog tests are done through the ECU. Is there anyway possible for a shop to pass the car if they are willing to do it? The ECU is VIN encoded correct?
Yes, its through the ECU checked via an OBD 2 test. If your OBD 2 & cats aren't reading as ready, then I don't think you can pass.

Additionally, the tech will do a visual on the car to see if anything aftermarket/illegal are on it. You can pass ECU/OBD2, but fail the visual.

If you can get the car to read as OK via OBD 2 and have a shop overlook the part, then you are OK.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by paisano53174
I recently purchased a 2006 Z06 in Texas. I live in California. The guy assured me it was stock, with the exception of an exhaust switch.

He was the 2nd owner of the car and bought it off of his boss, who died recently.

Having never seen up close under the hood of a Z06 I had nothing to compare the stock manifolds to. Turns out the car has headers and no catalytic converters.

Believing the car to be stock, I took it for smog and of course it failed.

The catalyst and OBDII are reading not ready on the failed test.

Hoping to find some help from you guys.
If you can get past the visual I can get it to pass the way it sits without the need for any physical changes.

Get notified of new replies

To C6/C6 Z06 CA Owners *Help Needed*

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6/C6 Z06 CA Owners *Help Needed*