Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with Road Course Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014GT
Sorry to bring back a relatively dead thread, but I have been searching for recommendations on what to do for brake lines.

I have been much happier with my previous vehicles using SS lines over stock rubber lines.

The main lines for the c6 z06 are the Stoptech and Goodridge G stops from my research, I know there are other suppliers such as VSS, Mallet, etc. and I would rather go with Mallet, but they have yet to answer me about buying their product. At this point I'd rather buy a known supplier in the Stoptechs or the Goodridge lines.

People have commented that Goodridge tests their lines to 12,000psi, but everything that they state says they only test to 3,000 psi. Whereas Stoptech tests their lines to 4,500 psi and they come with a coating to protect the SS braid from abrasion.

Which lines do you all prefer if you have experience with one or both?

(the car is a weekend toy primarily used for track days/hpde and autocross)

Thanks
We sell both the Goodridge and the StopTech lines. Everyone is going to tell you something different and why they prefer one over the other.

Both of them are phenomenal and they both will work. But me personally am more partial to Goodridge lines for one reason and one reason only. All they make is hydraulic hoses.

-Nick
The following users liked this post:
2014GT (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014GT
Sorry to bring back a relatively dead thread, but I have been searching for recommendations on what to do for brake lines.

I have been much happier with my previous vehicles using SS lines over stock rubber lines.

The main lines for the c6 z06 are the Stoptech and Goodridge G stops from my research, I know there are other suppliers such as VSS, Mallet, etc. and I would rather go with Mallet, but they have yet to answer me about buying their product. At this point I'd rather buy a known supplier in the Stoptechs or the Goodridge lines.

People have commented that Goodridge tests their lines to 12,000psi, but everything that they state says they only test to 3,000 psi. Whereas Stoptech tests their lines to 4,500 psi and they come with a coating to protect the SS braid from abrasion.

Which lines do you all prefer if you have experience with one or both?

(the car is a weekend toy primarily used for track days/hpde and autocross)

Thanks
Before I switched over to Wilwood calipers I used Goodridge lines with my stock calipers. Once I had the Wilwoods I used the Wilwood lines that came with the kits. The Wilwoods gave me good service and were also coated to keep dirt out of the braiding. I only changed them twice when I suspected they might have been damaged. Once when I was changing the brakes I dropped the right rear caliper and I didn't know for sure whether the shock had weakened the line and the other time was when I lost a left front wheel on the track and there was some damage to the caliper, rotor and maybe the brake line. After riding into T1 at The Glen with no brakes at 135 mph in a student's M3 I really started focusing on potential damage to the lines. His left front brake hose pulled out of the fitting where it attached to the caliper.

Bill
2014GT (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

My SS lines are Stoptech and I've had good luck with them. Regardless of what lines you get, expect that you may have to overtighten the connections to the car's hard lines. GM way over torque's these connections from the factory and virtually everyone has found the threads distorted. Some have had to use thread chasers. I was lucky as three of the four line went in OK with no over tightening. The left rear had very minor weep with normal tightening (flair wrench used), I tightened it more, still weep. Tightened it even more and it has been weep-free since.
2014GT (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

12,000psi Really? That's an insane pressure for a brake hose. Not picking brands or sides but I don't think I'd be fitting a hose set to my car that has been intentionally stressed to that degree.

At the end of the day most companies may stress test their products to such high numbers but I'd not bank on each and every finished line produced it chocked up and done to that. That just doesn't happen, regardless of what companies tell you. You'd clearly see pre installed seating in the flare end or chassis end if it had to be tightened to a hardline end for testing.

There was some debate over the quality of ss flex line used in kits some years ago. Weave or braid size, and the thickness of the teflon liner, jacketed or not.... Even the discussion of why crimp ends are the only legal part for a "DOT compliant" hose (there's no DOT Approved hose) yet race cars with cutter ends are not DOT compliant But you can race them at 200mph all day! The results of that discussion were rather inconclusive with a lot of "this is better than that" and noted issues, failures, frays, leaks etc. There was no final verdict that only brand A is worth using.

All of them will increase pedal feel and firmness. The older the rubber it replaces the better. None of them have shown to reduce stopping distance of any significant value. Unless you quantify the time it takes to firm up. Nearly all today are jacketed and the less fittings the less likely a leak point. Incorrect fittings or incorrect installation can lead to rubbing and leaks. And no ss line should be installed and considered to be a life long part.

Just my .02
2014GT (02-21-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with Road Course Setup