Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How much more valve train noise is expected with a cam and spring change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 AM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How much more valve train noise is expected with a cam and spring change?

Last winter I had my valve guides replaced and did a cam and springs “while I was in there”. I installed a Pat G recommended Cam Motion cam with EPS lobes, spec’d as 226/244 .639”/.639” 116 LSA +4* advance. I also installed (again Pat G recommended) BTR 660 dual valve springs with Ti retainers which were installed at 1.780 height/155# of seat pressure. After doing the push rod measurements I stayed with the stock 7.800 rods. I installed a Vararam at the same time. Engine is otherwise stock with factory exhaust manifolds breathing into the later Z06/ZR1 NPP mufflers. After a couple of rounds of Pat’s remote tuning the car runs great, very drivable and really rips when you put your foot in it. I have not had it dyno’d, though probably will after I do LT’s, possibly this winter.

The question is, how much more valve train noise should I expect with this combination over the stock cam? I’m running steeper cam profiles with heavier springs. On my LS6 the engine shop said expect more depending on the cam, which I never ended up doing. It’s getting cold so I’m driving with the windows up now, and the valve train noise is pretty noticeable, more than before the cam change. It’s loud enough that my wife asked what the “ticking” was. Listening to the engine hot with the hood up it seems to be pretty uniform bank to bank. Oil has maybe 3000 miles on it and is clear. I’m going to doing my end of season change and will cut open the filter at that time. I’ll try do get a decent video of the sound, but nothing I’ve taken so far has been of any value.

Anyone running something like this combination have any experience?
Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:22 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zulatr
Last winter I had my valve guides replaced and did a cam and springs “while I was in there”. I installed a Pat G recommended Cam Motion cam with EPS lobes, spec’d as 226/244 .639”/.639” 116 LSA +4* advance. I also installed (again Pat G recommended) BTR 660 dual valve springs with Ti retainers which were installed at 1.780 height/155# of seat pressure. After doing the push rod measurements I stayed with the stock 7.800 rods. I installed a Vararam at the same time. Engine is otherwise stock with factory exhaust manifolds breathing into the later Z06/ZR1 NPP mufflers. After a couple of rounds of Pat’s remote tuning the car runs great, very drivable and really rips when you put your foot in it. I have not had it dyno’d, though probably will after I do LT’s, possibly this winter.

The question is, how much more valve train noise should I expect with this combination over the stock cam? I’m running steeper cam profiles with heavier springs. On my LS6 the engine shop said expect more depending on the cam, which I never ended up doing. It’s getting cold so I’m driving with the windows up now, and the valve train noise is pretty noticeable, more than before the cam change. It’s loud enough that my wife asked what the “ticking” was. Listening to the engine hot with the hood up it seems to be pretty uniform bank to bank. Oil has maybe 3000 miles on it and is clear. I’m going to doing my end of season change and will cut open the filter at that time. I’ll try do get a decent video of the sound, but nothing I’ve taken so far has been of any value.

Thoughts?
I have a very similar combination, in that, I only have heads/cam done but no bolt-ons.

I can't tell that my car is any louder or more quiet than before. I still hear sewing machine sounds fairly easily but it is uniform like yours and I don't notice any different pitches, pings or ticks taking place with the rotational sounds that are going on. Granted, I haven't really made much effort to tell the sounds. At idle, there is nothing. Above 2000rpms, I don't notice anything anymore. Just around 1400-2000K rpms is where I notice a little valve train noise. I chalk it up to normal sounds. This was better than before when it was stock. Stock, I had excessive noise after driving the car for a while. Made me nervous because I couldn't tell if it was just the spark or if the engine was getting ready to fall apart.

The grind in the cam matters a bit too I think. My cam closes the valve more gently, right at the last second it has a little hump in the cam rotation to slow the closing event down. This means the valve gently touches the valve seat. I have no idea if that affects overall noise level of the valve train but I was lead to believe so. I kind of compare it to weight lifting. If you are slinging the weight back and forth (or up and down) the weights tend to chatter against each other and the bar excessively, making a lot of ruckus in gym. If you slow it down, things chatter less.

Basically, we have more stability with certain lobes than others. Again, I could be way off base here but that's my thought.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 11-18-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:03 AM
bambihunter
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zulatr

Thoughts?
Mine is bone stock except for the CHE bronze-bushed rockers that Brenton Brown of Forza Tuning and Performance put in when he did my heads last spring. Dumping those "pinball Wizard" needle-bearing stock rockers was the best thing he did; the CHE's are quiet. If you still have stock rockers, that might be most of your noise, along with the cam hammering them a bit harder.

Remember, my opinion is probably worth exactly what it cost you....

bambihunter
Old 11-24-2015, 06:49 AM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bambihunter
Mine is bone stock except for the CHE bronze-bushed rockers that Brenton Brown of Forza Tuning and Performance put in when he did my heads last spring. Dumping those "pinball Wizard" needle-bearing stock rockers was the best thing he did; the CHE's are quiet. If you still have stock rockers, that might be most of your noise, along with the cam hammering them a bit harder.

Remember, my opinion is probably worth exactly what it cost you....

bambihunter
Thanks for the reply
I did do trunion bearings, so that's not it.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine is louder than what it was before also. I used shorter push rods Im thinking about putting in factory length ones and seeing if that changes anything.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Clutch_guy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here I sent my heads off to AHP for the stage 4 package and rolled a torquer 110 cam in while I was that far tore down. Also installed the comp cams trunion kit and it seems like all you hear at 2000 rpm is the valvetrain! Then it sings a tune after that
Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM
64chevyII
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you install the headers it will make the valve train noise a lot more noticeable.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:34 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

With my cam change....the valve train is louder. I have headers and did away with the fuel rail covers, which does not help.

Get notified of new replies

To How much more valve train noise is expected with a cam and spring change?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How much more valve train noise is expected with a cam and spring change?