Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve seat grab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Goog point and you are right ...would be easier to do now.
Oh Honey can I have another $1000? You see this radiator? Honey ...please put that broom down... Ow, damn not on the head, ow, ow ,ow Jesus she is strong! Hope the neighbors don't laugh when I run up this driveway.......DAMN.....she is fast TOO, ow ow ow !
Y'all I may have to pass on the rsdiator:-)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by zulatr
I've partially covered my oil cooler for the reason you mentioned. Is the idea with the Dewitts that you use engine coolant to heat the oil to 200*ish, and then use the same coolant to maintain that temp?

What's involved with the swap line and fitting wise?
What's a ball park number for the radiator?

There's an oil thermostat for sale out there, don't recall the brand that I have also considered.
Yes. You have the idea. They run about $700, plus the shorter Z51 oil lines, which run about $150.

Originally Posted by olddragger
Goog point and you are right ...would be easier to do now.
Oh Honey can I have another $1000? You see this radiator? Honey ...please put that broom down... Ow, damn not on the head, ow, ow ,ow Jesus she is strong! Hope the neighbors don't laugh when I run up this driveway.......DAMN.....she is fast TOO, ow ow ow !
Y'all I may have to pass on the rsdiator:-)
Too funny. I hear ya though........ I don't have to answer to anyone about what I spend, and what I spend it on. And even so, it's a lot of money. That's why I'm dragging my feet on doing it.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 AM
olddragger
Pro

Actually she is pretty good to me about it all :-). I am a lucky man.
If i ( errr--when!) do another mod the dewitts is on top of the list.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 PM
olddragger
Pro

heads to AHP tomorrow. I am in Atlanta Ga area. It will take a few days for them to get there with the holidays and all.
Gives me time to look and clean some things up. One thing about doing a teardown is that you learn a lot. my number one cylinder was running richer than the others--could be for several reasons--but the number one intake valve also had the most grab.
related--dont know? Possible --yes.
Couldnt believe how clean everything was--no deposits anywhere---after 70k miles!. The combustion chamber ---could see many areas on it that didnt have ANY carbon.
The intake ports had maybe a tad of pvc gunk--except for one...and it was pretty dirty... Aha!. TB was clean. No rainbows on the valve seals. Engine runs really clean for a rich factory tune..
I did see some rockers with sorta like a half moon wear pattern--more like a half square really. I did see one exhaust rocker with an obvious off center pattern. I can understand the value of a roller tipped rocker arm on this train.
The color of the exhaust valve faces did make me think that they may be getting pretty hot, but i am not an expert . The same color in the exhaust port of a side port rotary engine would indicate too much heat. Like a white very light tan color. Maybe we should run leaded gas lol.
Learning a lot. Like found some wires that need heat wrap, wow what a pvc system,
see where the 2011 exhaust system would benefit, how easy it is to bloc off the oil cooler with a ls3 block off plate---interesting. really the beauty of this car is under it.

Last edited by olddragger; 11-25-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:34 AM
olddragger
Pro

Just want to throw a "thanks" out to the forum and to Dan the c5 man. It has really been a big help and Dan has been a local source of much needed guidance and support. Wouldn't be where I am today without that help.
The following users liked this post:
Dan_the_C5_Man (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM
olddragger
Pro

off topic but I wonder why EGT's are really not discussed?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 AM
olddragger
Pro

Really enjoying all the discussion lol.
Ok heads are off to AH.
Checking valve lifter and trays and DAMN!
2 lifters have fine wear grooves ( cannot feel anything)around the roller wheel. The cam lobe apears ok... Best I can tell with a flashlight. Guess I need to replace lifters and trays?

Also found what was causing the " grabbing"... There was a buildup on the valve seat of carbon and gunk.....interesting there was just a little in the port and chamber buildup is what I would call normal. Anyway once I cleaned that off the grappling was gone.

Last edited by olddragger; 11-28-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

You are sharp enough to make your own decisions on this stuff, but..

At 70K, I would just go ahead and replace the lifter trays - they are a wear item, and they are so inexpensive and you are already there, just put new ones in (my bad for not suggesting this in the PM exchange).

IF the marks on the lifters are not deep enough to catch a sharp fingernail on, e.g. they are only visible, that sounds like typical wear and probably does not require any action on your part.

Can you post a high-quality pic to the forum of the marks so we are all on the same page?

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-28-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:03 PM
olddragger
Pro

Agreed ....on one tray there was one slot that would not hold the lifter in place when you held them up. Replacement time for the trays.
Nope .....can't feel anything with fingernail nor toothpick.
Will try to post picture
Old 12-02-2015, 03:54 PM
olddragger
Pro

ok --nothing really exciting... but heads are at AH. Just spoke with Kohle and with his guidance we decided on basically a stage 4 build with exhaust port porting, and 0.02milling with 7.775 pushrods.
he is going to let me know more details about the guides on teardown.
The sticky grabbing valves have deposits on the valve seats--its not oil.
Possible i will have them back by the 14-15th.
A running and solid ZO6 for Christmas will be very nice:-)
Old 12-02-2015, 04:08 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

ok --nothing really exciting... but heads are at AH. Just spoke with Kohle and with his guidance we decided on basically a stage 4 build with exhaust port porting, and 0.02milling with 7.775 pushrods.
he is going to let me know more details about the guides on teardown.
The sticky grabbing valves have deposits on the valve seats--its not oil.
Possible i will have them back by the 14-15th.
A running and solid ZO6 for Christmas will be very nice:-)
You're in good hands. Are you going with his PM guides, or the upgraded MoldStar90 guides?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:03 PM
olddragger
Pro

staying with the PM guides. Moldstar90 would be overkill for my little car:-)
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

staying with the PM guides. Moldstar90 would be overkill for my little car:-)
I went MS90...and my car is basically stock.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 PM
olddragger
Pro

Then you got the absolute best metal you can get for your guides.
If I was running a high lift cam and high rpms I wouldn't hesitate to do the same.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:06 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would replace the lifters. There have been too many reports of lifters going bad and taking out the cam or just being noisy. Now is the time to do it with the heads off.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:55 PM
olddragger
Pro

seem to be getting mixed advice concerning the lifters. Some say replace while the heads are off, others say if they look good,and you are keeping the same cam then they are ok to use.
My lifters look ok, no scuffing, or grooves that can be felt are present. The table top glass test was good.
Normal wear is present. I did take extreme care in replacing the same lifter in the same orientation ---as stated am getting new trays.
Summit racing is sending 160 thermostat, oil cooler block off plate( hope it fits) and the trays.
Are water pumps usually a no concern part?
trying to fight the urge to get the msd intake.....sigh....getting weaker....must not, must not....not yet...sigh!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:04 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

seem to be getting mixed advice concerning the lifters. Some say replace while the heads are off, others say if they look good,and you are keeping the same cam then they are ok to use.
My lifters look ok, no scuffing, or grooves that can be felt are present. The table top glass test was good.
Normal wear is present. I did take extreme care in replacing the same lifter in the same orientation ---as stated am getting new trays.
Summit racing is sending 160 thermostat, oil cooler block off plate( hope it fits) and the trays.
Are water pumps usually a no concern part?
trying to fight the urge to get the msd intake.....sigh....getting weaker....must not, must not....not yet...sigh!
I don't normally hear too much about failures outside of the norm (higher mileage), but depending on your mileage you could always do a swap while you're in there for peace of mind. If it were me...I would be tempted to go with an electric pump and free up a couple HP by reducing the drag on belt driven accessories.

...and yes, there's always the MSD intake that can be swapped right in while you're in there.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 12-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve seat grab?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:15 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

The intake is an easy swap down the road.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08mojo
The intake is an easy swap down the road.
I'm just trying to spend his money for him...
Old 12-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Inspect each and every cam lobe too. My OEM GM "soft cam" caused problems with a couple lifters. GM "soft cams" (non-hardened lobes) are far more common than a lot of people realize.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve seat grab?