Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need Opinions! 2015 Camaro Z/28 TRADE

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Yorgaki1
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Need Opinions! 2015 Camaro Z/28 TRADE

Like most of you, I prefer my z06 (2009-GMPP through next year) over the base model c6 not only for the wide-body looks, but more importantly, the DNA goodies like the dry sump 427, frame, cf qtr panels etc. I never would have considered a newer Camaro (even the zl1), BUT, I like the Z/28 for the same reasons I like the z06: wide body looks, ls7, carbon ceramic brakes, ground effects etc. Chevy is deep discounting the remaining 2015 Z/28s to the low to mid $50k's right now (almost $20k off). I've always been a vette guy, but this is enticing to me. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE
Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

meeehhhh....anybody can go buy a Camaro...you have a Z06!! Keep it enjoy. Now...if you wanna add a Camaro or dd one.....that's another story.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The Z28 is a nice car but it will feel very heavy and bloated compared to the Z. You will yearn to have the Z back IMO.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
The Z28 is a nice car but it will feel very heavy and bloated compared to the Z. You will yearn to have the Z back IMO.
The Z28 is a helluva car but it simply can't run with the C6 Z06 due to the extra weight. It's mostly meant to run at the track, and it does that very well, but for that reason it's set up with a stiff suspension that can be less than ideal for the street from what I've read. If I was a wealthy man I'd want one in my stable (as a track toy), but there's no way I'd give up my Z06 for one.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:49 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I'm pretty sure the Z/28 takes bends a lot better then our Z06's so feeling heavy probably not.

-Curtis
Old 11-22-2015, 02:09 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
I'm pretty sure the Z/28 takes bends a lot better then our Z06's so feeling heavy probably not.

-Curtis
They list it's curb weight at 3,862 so it's lighter than the earlier Camaros but still alot heavier than the Z. It is designed as a track car and does very well. It does pull over 1G on the lateral skid pad, comparable to a Z but just wouldn't feel as agile or as fast as the Z.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

There is no way I would ditch my Z06 for a Camaro.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:30 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I wouldn't either.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:00 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorgaki1
Like most of you, I prefer my z06 (2009-GMPP through next year) over the base model c6 not only for the wide-body looks, but more importantly, the DNA goodies like the dry sump 427, frame, cf qtr panels etc. I never would have considered a newer Camaro (even the zl1), BUT, I like the Z/28 for the same reasons I like the z06: wide body looks, ls7, carbon ceramic brakes, ground effects etc. Chevy is deep discounting the remaining 2015 Z/28s to the low to mid $50k's right now (almost $20k off). I've always been a vette guy, but this is enticing to me. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE
Why not a new 2016 Camaro SS? It's just as quick as the Z28, handles just as well with the mag shocks and runs as quick as 12.20 with the A8 trains. (Per Hot Rod)

A 1SS with NPP, A8, and Mag Suspension runs around 40k (invoice) depending on any additional options chosen. Get the manual transmission and your under 40k.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Yep, just would not happen for me; might add one but not switch.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:02 PM
Yorgaki1
Instructor

Thanks for your replies. Keep the opinions coming.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:15 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No way a 2016 ss will perform like the z28. Maybe 0-80 acceleration. But the suspension on the z is way better than any magnetic shock for track work. Plus the 2016 is ugly as poo compared to a z28.

The z28 is still a great handling car compared to a c6 z. Yes it won't compare on freeway pulls. But the car has better gearing and is a blast to drive on the street and and the ls7 is awesome to wind out with the lower gearing. Not my option but my dads who just test drove one. Yes he's driven my 09 with boltons. They are a steal for 55k new so I say do it, it'll be a lot easier to pick up a c6z down the road and the z28 is much rarer and it will hold valve better most likely.

Last edited by jbs02somws6; 11-22-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Pappa Prich
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're considering a Camaro, a z28 is the only option in my opinion -- BUT there's no comparison between a z28 and a z06 IMO. The z28 is for someone who HAS to have 4 seats. I would be willing to bet that you may like it when you first get it because it's something new, but that will quickly fade and you'll want the z back.

How old is your z and how many miles? Have you been actively looking for a replacement or only considering because the opportunity with the sale? If it's the latter, I'd pass and don't look back - go out and fire up the z

Last edited by Pappa Prich; 11-22-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:27 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

The Z28 I believe will hold value much better also. I agree on that.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:01 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

No way for me either. Stick with the Z06 unless you you want a 4 seater car.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Yorgaki1
Instructor

My '09 has 33k miles and I have GMPP through March. I put about 4 to 5 thousand easy miles on it per year (nice days and spirited back road drives), and do the rare HPDE single day maybe once a year (run with the beginners as I just want to stretch it's legs). I love my Z, but plan on eventually picking up a used c7 z06 after a few more model years and prices start to drop.

Before I saw the Z/28 discounts, my plan was to re-up my GMPP with Ken Fitchner before it runs out, with all the valve guide drama, plus I thought it may be easier to sell the car with an extended warranty. Granted the Z/28 has the same heads, but as a new car with 5 yr/100k factory warranty, I thought it would be a nice in-between change, until the next vette. I've always owned a vette o('88, '93, 2000 coupe and this z06) as my fun car, and plan on getting in a c7 z06 in 3 or 4 years either way. What do you think?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

My '09 has 33k miles and I have GMPP through March. I put about 4 to 5 thousand easy miles on it per year (nice days and spirited back road drives), and do the rare HPDE single day maybe once a year (run with the beginners as I just want to stretch it's legs). I love my Z, but plan on eventually picking up a used c7 z06 after a few more model years and prices start to drop.

Before I saw the Z/28 discounts, my plan was to re-up my GMPP with Ken Fitchner before it runs out, with all the valve guide drama, plus I thought it may be easier to sell the car with an extended warranty. Granted the Z/28 has the same heads, but as a new car with 5 yr/100k factory warranty, I thought it would be a nice in-between change, until the next vette. I've always owned a vette o('88, '93, 2000 coupe and this z06) as my fun car, and plan on getting in a c7 z06 in 3 or 4 years either way. What do you think?
Renew your GMPP for another 4 years, keep what you have...then go buy that C7Z if it still interests you.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Opinions! 2015 Camaro Z/28 TRADE

Old 11-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Pappa Prich
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

To be honest, either way it sound like you have a good plan. One thing that could be a deciding factor is money -- if the z is paid in full and it would take some cash out of pocket to pay for the z/28, then you plan on getting a C7z06 in a couple years, I'd keep the z no question. But if money really doesn't play a role, it's a toss up. I'm totally biased though because this is my first z06 and just got it lol .... that being said, I don't think you can make a decision either way without at least driving the z/28 first. Have you driven it yet? Test drive it a couple times and take your z to the dealership. Go from one to the other a couple times and see how you feel. If you then want to get the z/28 for a couple years before going back to a c7 z, why not?

I think most people here will obviously tell you to keep the z --- but if you want to switch it up for a little while and it's purely emotional why not? Your call man.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:52 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think the Camaro will be able to offer anything in the way of performance that the Z doesn't already give you. For the Z/28 fan bois, I'm not saying the Camaro isn't as good. I'm just saying that for a street car with very occasional track duty, it won't offer much more besides a better interior, more comfortable seats, 4 seats and perhaps a better radio (if you still have a stock radio in your Z). As far as handling and speed goes, neither of these cars can be fully utilized on the street and much of the extra benefits of having a car that is faster on a track gets lost in the fact that we can't really push these cars anywhere close to their limits on the street. The extra half second lap time doesn't translate to the street well is what I'm saying.

That Z/28 will not run as fast as your Z06 in a straight line, 'no if, and's or buts about it'. Expect a 12 flat car that can take corners as fast as a Z (but not a Z with the upgraded mag ride). Basically, the performance of a Grand Sport is what I'd compare that Z/28 to, but with Camaro styling and modern gadgets to go with it.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 11-23-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
I don't think the Camaro will be able to offer anything in the way of performance that the Z doesn't already give you. For the Z/28 fan bois, I'm not saying the Camaro isn't as good. I'm just saying that for a street car with very occasional track duty, it won't offer much more besides a better interior, more comfortable seats, 4 seats and perhaps a better radio (if you still have a stock radio in your Z). As far as handling and speed goes, neither of these cars can be fully utilized on the street and much of the extra benefits of having a car that is faster on a track gets lost in the fact that we can't really push these cars anywhere close to their limits on the street. The extra half second lap time doesn't translate to the street well is what I'm saying.

That Z/28 will not run as fast as your Z06 in a straight line, 'no if, and's or buts about it'. Expect a 12 flat car that can take corners as fast as a Z (but not a Z with the upgraded mag ride). Basically, the performance of a Grand Sport is what I'd compare that Z/28 to, but with Camaro styling and modern gadgets to go with it.
If you want to fall in love with the car again, give it a makeover for quite a bit less money invested and drive it like you stole it. IMO, any of these options below would make your car a better experience than a Camaro:

-3.90 gear
-supercharger
-built heads/cam/tune
-race wheels/tires
-upgraded brakes
-upgrade to C7 seats

One thing is for certain, I don't think you should be concerning yourself about which car will hold it's value better. In the end, you will most likely lose more than you gain on either car. This shouldn't be a financial debate at all. If it is, you should sell the Z and not consider another toy period and just buy a used Honda Civic or something practical because neither car is a good financial decision. We have these cars because they are exceptionally enjoyable to drive. It's the price for admission & entertainment while driving.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need Opinions! 2015 Camaro Z/28 TRADE