Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Buying a high mileage Z..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 AM
Rxmfn7
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a high mileage Z..?

So after a while of lurking I've decided to make the plunge and purchase a C6Z. Have been keeping an eye out on autotrader and eBay, etc for something to come along I want. Have decided on a 09+. Anyway, came across one fairly local that is optioned like I want, but it has 87k miles on it. I saw it a couple weeks ago and immediately dismissed it because of the mileage. Searching today I see it is still available, and just got to thinking. It's priced about 5-7k less than most comparable Zs with more reasonable 30-50k miles. With saving that money, I would be able to have heads done and replace suspension bushings or anything else that may be worn with that mileage. Car will be a weekend fun car/hdpe car, so obviously not a collector or hugely worried on resale. Car will be driven. Any opinions on buying the higher mile one to save some cash, or just stick to a lower mile car to begin with?

Last edited by Rxmfn7; 11-25-2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:15 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

87K I'm guessing you are looking at the black one that is at Sport Chevrolet? I just got off the phone with them. That vette looks nice but has had it's share of problems. It's not the original engine OR transmission. Look at the free car fax. It has been back for repeat service multiple times. The price is decent but I passed. Your call.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:02 AM
FATTBoss
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, what are they asking for the car? I just picked up my first Vette, '09 Z06 with 7,500 miles and it was in the low $40k range. They were asking $49k.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

There are so many good deals out there right now for low mileage, unmolested examples. I'm great at spending other people's money, but it just makes better sense to spend a little bit more for a low mileage car than to end up fixing things on a used up, high mileage car. I would also consider some of the earlier years. They are also great Z's and can be purchased cheaper.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Rxmfn7
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, thats the one. I didnt dive any deeper to start looking into it further, but good to know its a bit of a basketcase. Definitely not worth the hassle. To answer earlier question, this particular car is 35k, most others Ive been looking at have been in the 40-43 range.

Originally Posted by stefuel
87K I'm guessing you are looking at the black one that is at Sport Chevrolet? I just got off the phone with them. That vette looks nice but has had it's share of problems. It's not the original engine OR transmission. Look at the free car fax. It has been back for repeat service multiple times. The price is decent but I passed. Your call.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:18 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
Yep, thats the one. I didnt dive any deeper to start looking into it further, but good to know its a bit of a basketcase. Definitely not worth the hassle. To answer earlier question, this particular car is 35k, most others Ive been looking at have been in the 40-43 range.
I forget what the dealer said about the transmission but the replacement engine now has about 30K on it. It was a new engine installed by them.
Dealer did all the work and offered to fax me all the paperwork but I still declined. To many things have been taken apart for me to buy it on faith as it's to far for me to go look at it and I don't want to put someone else on the spot to look at it and say go or no go.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:05 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

High mileage Z's can be a great buy. It just depends. But one that has had so much trouble---think i would pass too.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:34 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I buy cars for the chassis I could care less about drivetrain as Long as it doesn't have any frame damage. I would end up taking it apart anyways to mod it.

-Curtis
Old 11-25-2015, 05:47 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
You can get one with half the miles, with heads addressed around $35k. Check the classifieds on here...

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a high mileage Z..?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Buying a high mileage Z..?