Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Feedback on LG Motorsports "Super Ram" CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Rxmfn7
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feedback on LG Motorsports "Super Ram" CAI?

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback or experience with the LG Motorsports super-ram cold air intake? I did a search on here and didnt come up with anything. I know its stupid expensive compared to most other intakes, but looks well designed. Just wanted to know if anyone was running this piece and their impressions?

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...ai-system.html
Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I have one and it works very very well. I had other intakes on it, but this one is by far the best.

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
Just wondering if anyone has any feedback or experience with the LG Motorsports super-ram cold air intake? I did a search on here and didnt come up with anything. I know its stupid expensive compared to most other intakes, but looks well designed. Just wanted to know if anyone was running this piece and their impressions?

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...ai-system.html
Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
I have one and it works very very well. I had other intakes on it, but this one is by far the best.
Can you elaborate pls? Fitment and performance
Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

I second that motion. Any gains?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
Same price a of coil overs or a set of real seats.

Stock car has plenty of go.

Wonder how much it would cost if made from plastic?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:13 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Forgot about these...looks like a cross between a Callaway Honker and a Vararam. Probably cost prohibitive for most people, but it certainly looks like it would work well. Only feedback I've ever seen is that it clearly can't be used on a car with a stock tune since it causes too much MAF turbulence.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Forgot about these...looks like a cross between a Callaway Honker and a Vararam. Probably cost prohibitive for most people, but it certainly looks like it would work well. Only feedback I've ever seen is that it clearly can't be used on a car with a stock tune since it causes too much MAF turbulence.
I'm considering this part. Can you be a good chap and direct me to the MAF turbulence feedback please? I haven't read that feedback on this, and I've done a few hours of searching on it.

As to the plastic question above from another member, I believe that LG Motorsports mentioned that plastic would deform under aero stress (speed) and so CF was required.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:20 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Josh B.
I'm considering this part. Can you be a good chap and direct me to the MAF turbulence feedback please? I haven't read that feedback on this, and I've done a few hours of searching on it.

As to the plastic question above from another member, I believe that LG Motorsports mentioned that plastic would deform under aero stress (speed) and so CF was required.
I'll see what I can find...it was years back. Military guy, stationed in Oceanside I believe, which was very close to me when I was still living in SoCal. He was under warranty and didn't want to tune the car and void his warranty, so I think he sold it or returned it.

The MAF turbulence thing occurs on pretty much every CAI that has a "ram air" style intake. Heck, even the "Vette Air" mod or a loose factory radiator shroud (push pins pulled away) can cause a stock air intake to surge (seen many threads on here for each scenario). Look at the Callaway Honker for the C6...they offer two versions, "open element" and a "diffuser panel", which is designed to minimize MAF turbulence on cars without tuning (see links below). The idea is to get smooth linear flow across the MAF to minimize or eliminate turbulence. Halltech was able to eliminate MAF turbulence in their MF103 intake by relocating the position of the MAF sensor...the "MF" stands for MAF Forward, which you probably already know. Precisely why I went with the MF103...I'm stock tune and still under my GMPP warranty.

http://www.callawaycars.com/homepage...inlet-systems/

http://shop.callawaycars.com/Diffuse...-203672743.htm

Last edited by MTPZ06; 01-29-2016 at 01:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Josh B. (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 05:31 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I am a Callaway user (have been since the C5 days), and I also tune my own cars.

I feel the Callaway is a superior product as compared to a Vararam, in both construction materials and design (had one on the old C5 for a bit, I did feel a seat of the pants difference, but I also saw that sand and other debris was getting past the filter / seal - no thank you).

When I bought one for the CE-Z, because (at the time) I wasn't planning on tuning the car until the warranty was up, I made the decision (mistake) of spending the extra 100 bux on the "diffuser" model.

I opened the box, I'm thinking "WTF? What makes this intake awesome is that it feeds directly from the front of the car" - the "diffuser" still lives on the hot side of the radiator shroud, so installed in that way, I don't see the "Cold Air" in CAI.

To summarize, I never installed the diffuser, cut my shroud like it should be. Now, did I have mild surging at freeway / cruising throttle positions, and decel in town? Yes.

I installed a pre-MAF honeycomb (just like GM did on the old C5 MAF's) and it definitely helped. That and a bit of tuning, if it is still there, I don't notice it (and I notice everything).

Bottom line, you should expect the LG might offer some surging, BUT gains are worth it (to me). I would expect the LG to deliver as promised gain-wise.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-29-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:12 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I am a Callaway user (have been since the C5 days), and I also tune my own cars.

I feel the Callaway is a superior product as compared to a Vararam, in both construction materials and design (had one on the old C5 for a bit, I did feel a seat of the pants difference, but I also saw that sand and other debris was getting past the filter / seal - no thank you).

When I bought one for the CE-Z, because (at the time) I wasn't planning on tuning the car until the warranty was up, I made the decision (mistake) of spending the extra 100 bux on the "diffuser" model.

I opened the box, I'm thinking "WTF? What makes this intake awesome is that it feeds directly from the front of the car" - the "diffuser" still lives on the hot side of the radiator shroud, so installed in that way, I don't see the "Cold Air" in CAI.

To summarize, I never installed the diffuser, cut my shroud like it should be. Now, did I have mild surging at freeway / cruising throttle positions, and decel in town? Yes.

I installed a pre-MAF honeycomb (just like GM did on the old C5 MAF's) and it definitely helped. That and a bit of tuning, if it is still there, I don't notice it (and I notice everything).

Bottom line, you should expect the LG might offer some surging, BUT gains are worth it (to me). I would expect the LG to deliver as promised gain-wise.
Couldn't agree more...the Callaway Honker was an awesome intake on my C5Z. I had Ryne at CMS tune the car so I never had any surge issues. I wasn't even aware of the diffuser until I heard of surging issues on the C6's. Even though the Callaway disclaimer says the diffuser panel doesn't impede air flow...in my own humble opinion, I would disagree.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by k wright

Wonder how much it would cost if made from plastic?
I don't know if you could do it from plastic and keep the shape of the inlet correct at the nose. one of the reasons we did carbon was to keep it light because of the amount of parts and also to make sure it keeps its form at high speeds.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:22 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

VaraRam does create a ram air effect but it blocks a lot of the radiator and also does not create that good of a seal through the radiator shroud that you have to cut for the air box to poke through. This reduces the air flow through the radiator and also causes an air leak under the hood and causes lift.

Street car guys, nothing to really worry about....most drag cars...not much to worry about. For road racers or standing miles cars, you might want to re-think it.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

As far as turbulence/tuning/MAF issues.

If a cold air intake is worth it, typically you will have to re-tune it to some degree. The ram air intake take a bit more work because you need to get some air speed through them to see what the cars will do at speed.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
VaraRam does create a ram air effect but it blocks a lot of the radiator and also does not create that good of a seal through the radiator shroud that you have to cut for the air box to poke through. This reduces the air flow through the radiator and also causes an air leak under the hood and causes lift.

Street car guys, nothing to really worry about....most drag cars...not much to worry about. For road racers or standing miles cars, you might want to re-think it.
Agreed...never been a fan of Vararam for the C5's or C6's. Quality and fitment issues are a common theme.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Couldn't agree more...the Callaway Honker was an awesome intake on my C5Z. I had Ryne at CMS tune the car so I never had any surge issues. I wasn't even aware of the diffuser until I heard of surging issues on the C6's. Even though the Callaway disclaimer says the diffuser panel doesn't impede air flow...in my own humble opinion, I would disagree.
It is my understanding the C6 card-style MAF is the culprit - C5's never had a surging issue due to the MAF design. The diffuser forces the air to be pulled from the sides - honestly, it's not really so much of a flow restriction as it is a lack of cold air from the other side of the shroud.

Get notified of new replies

To Feedback on LG Motorsports "Super Ram" CAI?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Feedback on LG Motorsports "Super Ram" CAI?