Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Opinions Needed On Two New Seat Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:57 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Opinions Needed On Two New Seat Options

We are working on two new seat options for the spring. Both will be able to mount to the power tracks for those wanting that installation. They will also mount with other hardware we offer.

One seat is close to finished, needing the lap belt holes and other minor adjustments. To make a passenger side will require another mold.

Post 23 on the thread below shows a seat from Europe that is similar, but with lower, smaller harness openings in the headrest.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...osition-2.html

The second seat will be similar to the Recaro Pole Position ABE, not sold in the USA. Our seat will have larger headrest holes like the above seat so as to accommodate a greater range of drivers. The hip area is flared outward and the larger, angled lap belt holes are designed to allow factory seat belts to operate as intended. The seat belt receivers fit thru easily and can tighten along your hips down to the bottom of the hole rather than only up to the top of the side bolster like seats where the buckle is on the outside.

Here's where I need opinions. I don't want to go thru all the work of having a passenger side mold of the top seat made only to find out most people will prefer the improved oem seat belt function of the second seat.

How many prefer the diamond stitching on the inserts compared to the flat panels?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Love the 2nd option.

Can go either way on the diamond stitching. Given the choice at the same price I would take it, but wouldn't pay extra for it.

Looking forward to these. Held off on your seats last time as I wanted something like the 2nd one.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unreal
Love the 2nd option.

Can go either way on the diamond stitching. Given the choice at the same price I would take it, but wouldn't pay extra for it.

Looking forward to these. Held off on your seats last time as I wanted something like the 2nd one.
I found this thread where a C5 owner in Germany showed the Pole Position ABE's (didn't say they were the ABE version but the lap belt holes indicate they are) installed in his Z06. So we should have room to spare in the C6.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-position.html
Old 12-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I too was close to pulling the trigger on a set, with fixed rails mounted as low as possible.. I need more headroom (sucks being tall)!

I like the the cleaner finish of plain suede, just looks higher-end to me.. No diamond pattern for me.

And anything that will work better / safer with the stock belts, I am totally in on that (I've heard / can imagine it is tiresome dealing with a 4 or 5 point harness in a street car).

A replica of the Recaro / second seat would be killer.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-09-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Blownhotrodder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like the diamond pattern but wouldn't pay extra for it.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The plain is much nicer.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:35 PM
NJWidebody
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Love the 2nd option.

Agree with the above. I've been diggin your seats for a while now and at 6'3" I'd love the extra headroom. 2nd option looks great.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like option 2.

Plain, don't really like the diamond look.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:28 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by marrad

I should be getting samples to approve within 2-3 weeks. I will be having the first seat below made as a standard production. It has the larger, flared lap belt openings so the oem seat belts will fit thru and function properly. The cushions will come standard with the flat panel design, and diamond stitching will be an option. I have an adjustable lumbar that should fit these nicely I will test when they arrive.

My goal is to have the seat itself come in around $799 (simulated leather perimeter with flat suede cushions as shown) and offer mounting brackets for the oem tracks or any of our other mounting options. Custom upholstery and options will be priced later.

The seat above with the external seat belt receiver opening will be sold when it arrives. Any who may be interested can email or pm me.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

One thing I noticed comparing to the Recaro, it seems your bottom section is narrower. I am 6-3 - 250 (right now anyway), so as long as I can fit my a$$ into to the seat, I am in. I will want to use the lowest fixed-mounting position option to gain headroom.

I would also want to be at parity (or go forward) on the material quality (I have a 2011 Carbon Edition - it has (what I assume) leather sides with a sued (like?) middle and bottom sections). I would pay a bit more to ensure the materials used are at least as good as stock, or better.

I would order the model with the two larger inside belt pass-throughs - not interested in the side pass-through.

Hope to hear good news on the two items above!

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 01-28-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally and I'll buy a set that allows me to use the stock rails and seat belts. I've held off buying seats for my street car waiting on a set that would allow the seat belts to actually work.

I'm assuming that the lower belt goes through the hole on the outside of the seat, attaches to the receiver on the inside that has also gone through the hole and then attaches to the stock location on the B pillar.

I appreciate the option for standard leather cover with no decorative stitching. 34" waist, 5'11'' and 170 pounds.

Wish list: side air bag option

Last edited by k wright; 01-28-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
One thing I noticed comparing to the Recaro, it seems your bottom section is narrower. I am 6-3 - 250 (right now anyway), so as long as I can fit my a$$ into to the seat, I am in. I will want to use the lowest fixed-mounting position option to gain headroom.

I would also want to be at parity (or go forward) on the material quality (I have a 2011 Carbon Edition - it has (what I assume) leather sides with a sued (like?) middle and bottom sections). I would pay a bit more to ensure the materials used are at least as good as stock, or better.
The seat is not narrower than the Recaro.

The materials used meet automotive industry standards but we are looking to make the seat affordable to a wider audience. We chose to use simulated leather on the perimeter of the standard seat. Recaro offers the Pole Position in three covers - cloth, Ambla leather and suede, and real leather. The Ambla leather is "simulated" leather - its vinyl produced and grained to look like leather. That is what is normally used on the backs and sides of leather seats. The real leather seats are about $400 more.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:18 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by k wright
I'm assuming that the lower belt goes through the hole on the outside of the seat, attaches to the receiver on the inside that has also gone through the hole and then attaches to the stock location on the B pillar.
Both the receiver and the belt will fit through the side openings. The car in the picture below may be an S2000 but it shows how the oem belts are being used.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Like many, I've held off on seats too. I like the larger flared opening. I personally wouldnt want the external seat belt receiver.

I actually dig the diamond stitch. I would probably pay $50-75 especially if the diamond stitches were available in different colors. Any more than that though, I'd probably opt for the plain version.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:39 PM
picklz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice option especially with being able to mount to the stock rails. I'll be interested to hear what the diamonds stitching will run and what other options are available.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM
BladeZ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely a market for your ideas. I would be a buyer for two seats with the stock belt pass through and being able to mount to stock sliders. Plain inserts for me. Nice to be able to take your wife for a ride and yet have a 5/6 point set up for track use with students during HPDE ride alongs.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad
Both the receiver and the belt will fit through the side openings. The car in the picture below may be an S2000 but it shows how the oem belts are being used.

Are you starting with this Recaro seat and adapting it for the Corvette mounting hardware?

Do you have a link to the Recaros measurments?

Many thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions Needed On Two New Seat Options

Old 02-02-2016, 01:23 AM
Down2BDirty
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great set up. Definitely the plain version for my taste. I would absolutely consider once my seats start to show a little more wear. Would like the real leather option available if I was to pull the trigger.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:24 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by k wright
Are you starting with this Recaro seat and adapting it for the Corvette mounting hardware?

Do you have a link to the Recaros measurments?

Many thanks.
Our seat will have the same dimensions but our headrest has larger holes. I'm 5'10 1/2" and the holes were nearly 2" below my shoulders. When I visited HMS Motorsports I saw about 30 seats on display from Recaro, Cobra, OMP and others, but no Pole Position. When I asked why, they said they didn't stock it because the holes were too low for them to consider it safe for most of their customers.

I found these dimensions listed online:

Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

The samples arrived for my approval and things are looking good! More pictures below. I removed part of the cover to show the seat belt / lap belt openings better.

I will start working on the mounting brackets for the oem tracks. I should have them next month, but the first production run of the seats are not expected until around May. I will have at least 20 made; more depending on demand and how many are pre-sold with deposits. After May it could be the fall before I have more, so anyone serious about wanting them before then should email me to discuss deposit options.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Opinions Needed On Two New Seat Options