Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] two questions about C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Based
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default two questions about C6 Z06

I'm thinking about maybe buying a car in the 25K range. I am looking at base C6's. But now I see some Z06's in the 30 - 35K range and I'm wondering maybe I should save another year and get a z06.

Are z06's daily driveable? like are they comfortable? Are they quiet enough on the inside?

And how much faster are Z06's than base model C6's?

Those are my questions. Thank you to anyone who answers .
Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Bluemountain
Instructor

Originally Posted by Based
I'm thinking about maybe buying a car in the 25K range. I am looking at base C6's. But now I see some Z06's in the 30 - 35K range and I'm wondering maybe I should save another year and get a z06.

Are z06's daily driveable? like are they comfortable? Are they quiet enough on the inside?

From someone who has owned both (C5 Coupe, C5Z, C6Z, and now C7 Z07, your 1st 3 questions are relative to your style. Sorry but, the bottom line answer is "test drive". There are so many of each out there now (C6 coupe and C6Z), you can find several to chose for a test romp.. ;-)

The answer to your last question is "Substantially".....(again, maybe relative)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:25 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

I daily drive my Z06 when not in winter storage and have 112k miles on it so far. I find it very comfortable to drive. With the bi-mode exhaust it is quiet when the flaps are closed. Of course if you put an aftermarket exhaust on it then it could get loud.

I'm not sure how much faster a Z06 is - it's kind of a relative term. But it does have 505 hp compared to 430 and is lighter, so the Z06 is significantly faster than the base C6 in the quarter mile.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I DD mine (2006) when there's no snow/salt out (lasted until Sunday this year) and it is quite comfortable even on the poor roads around here. I've done a few 600 mile day-trips with it and didn't have any issues either.

Mine's all stock at this point and it is fairly quiet under normal driving - not luxury sedan quiet but not objectionable. The later years supposedly gained more sound insulation but I don't know the year breakdown. If you are looking at cars with modded exhaust systems then all bets are off.

I've haven't driven a base C6 in so long I can't really say how much faster the Z06 feels. The raw numbers are posted all over, though. Beyond that the best thing to do is test drive a couple and see how they feel.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Daily drive my 07 Z06. One thing to keep in mind, the rear tires are very close to you and your passengers head so quiet it is not. Not trying to talk you out of a Z06, but the Grand Sport C6's that were built from 2010 to 2013 have the wide body and tires of the Z06 but the heavier frame and LS3 engine where the Z06 has the larger 427 cu. in. LS7 engine. So your choices are C6, C6 Grand Sport & C6 Z06. Good hunting.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Allow and extra $3K to $4K in your budget for the Z06 if the heads haven't been done. Otherwise you might be in for a +/- $20K engine replacement when/if it blows.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:23 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
Allow and extra $3K to $4K in your budget for the Z06 if the heads haven't been done. Otherwise you might be in for a +/- $20K engine replacement when/if it blows.
That didn't take long..
Old 12-30-2015, 08:36 AM
sbrooks64
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
That didn't take long..
You knew it was coming. But it is something to consider. The Z06 is a good way to unwind after a long day at the office. So it's a great daily driver.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Based
Intermediate

Is there anything faster than a z06 in the 30-35k range? I really can't believe how much of a perfoance bargain the c6z is lol. Only stock car I can think of is the 2016 camaro SS but that's not even close to the c6z numbers.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Calibur45
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the release of the C7z, the market has been somewhat flooded with C6z's. Many owners looking to upgrade. That being said, it's hard to beat the deal. What was an 80k sticker car is now 35k only 6-8 years later. If you can find one with low mileage, low owners, GO FOR IT!

I've had a C5 Coupe, C5Z, and now a C6Z. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Based
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Calibur45
Since the release of the C7z, the market has been somewhat flooded with C6z's. Many owners looking to upgrade. That being said, it's hard to beat the deal. What was an 80k sticker car is now 35k only 6-8 years later. If you can find one with low mileage, low owners, GO FOR IT!

I've had a C5 Coupe, C5Z, and now a C6Z. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Yeah on carsforsale I see a 2008 base c8 for 28k and then a z06 from the same year for 33k. Ridiculous. I bet in a year that'll be even more common.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

The car is daily drivable for sure. In light of the eventual modifications you'll do for the heads, I'd stick with the stock cam or a very small aftermarket cam to keep drivability the same. Anything above about 8-10 on overlap and you start losing capabilities. Is it much capability loss? No, but cruising and low speed driving will be different. On a stock setup, the car is 100% DD capable for even the most picky of drivers.

The car is noisy though. Get the higher end interior, a sound deadening mat to go in the back and some non-run flat tires to keep noise to a minimum. I hear the Continentals are the quietest.

And yes, the car is much faster than the standard Corvette and stiffer (unless we're comparing it to the Grand Sport). A stock Z with a talented driver can do low 11's on the quarter while a standard LS3 might do high 11's at absolute best in stock form.

On a road coarse, the difference will be even more prevalent. Z will likely do several seconds faster on just about any course you put it on. More power under the curve + more traction + stiffer ride = faster.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 AM
FN427
Heel & Toe

I DD my 09 Z, have had it for two months. $40k and 26k miles, bone stock. It's my fav daily car ever, it makes even your worst days turn bright somehow

In that two months I have fallen so hard for this car I've decided I'll never sell it, and I'm doing H/C/I and make it a true beast of a daily car. Point is, this car didn't disappoint and is a crap ton of fun. It's as much fun as you can have with clothes on.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Yeah on carsforsale I see a 2008 base c8 for 28k and then a z06 from the same year for 33k. Ridiculous. I bet in a year that'll be even more common.
You say that but you'd be surprised how this car doesn't want to dip below that $31-33K mark.

I think it has to do with that fact that there are no existing models that can match the C6Z performance for less than $30K. I thought the Z would go well below $30K by now, given the new C7Z is out and other cars are starting to "catch up" to the performance of the C6Z...

But it remains highly sought after regardless. It offers a level of hardcoreness that other cars don't - except the Viper of course.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Based
Intermediate

So it really needs better heads just to not explode?
Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FN427
It's as much fun as you can have with clothes on.
Haha, I like that perspective..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

This is debatable. The are FAR more people on this forum that changed the heads out or worked them over based on fear alone (or maybe a paranoia with the sewing machine sounds that LS motors often emit) than people who actually had a failed valve.

I think the head issue is inevitable in time but how much time really is a case by case basis. Some of us get 100K+ miles out of the stock engine before cracking it open while there are others that had it for a few thousand miles before it gave out. Who knows..

I know that's not what you want to hear but no one can answer that question definitively. My advice is to buy a C6Z that already has the valve and guide issue sorted out via AH or some other cylinder head swap.. Plus, it is much cheaper to buy a car already modded than to do it all yourself. You could get a 600HP version of the Z for only a few thousand dollars more...

Get notified of new replies

To two questions about C6 Z06

Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd save and get the Z. It looks a lot more "bad ***" in my opinion. The wider body, bigger tires, brake ducts, hood vent, roof lines, etc. make it look a lot more muscular and aggressive compared to the base model.

Yes, they are daily driveable.

Road noise and/ or exhaust noise do not bother me at all so I can't comment on if they are quiet enough. For that, take one for a ride.

Yes, they are faster than the base model. How much faster? Again, drive each one and see for yourself.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM
FN427
Heel & Toe

The info is out there to make your own decision. I'm an old LS1 guy but new to this dropped valve situation like you. I found there is no smoking gun answer. Do the research and study up. I looked at all perspectives, talked to lots of people of varying opinions. Ultimately I'm using it as an excuse to do a heads cam project. Talk about bang for your buck....with this done, rarely will your daily car ever be beat on the street.

Get to studying, good luck

Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Based
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
This is debatable. The are FAR more people on this forum that changed the heads out or worked them over based on fear alone (or maybe a paranoia with the sewing machine sounds that LS motors often emit) than people who actually had a failed valve.

I think the head issue is inevitable in time but how much time really is a case by case basis. Some of us get 100K+ miles out of the stock engine before cracking it open while there are others that had it for a few thousand miles before it gave out. Who knows..

I know that's not what you want to hear but no one can answer that question definitively. My advice is to buy a C6Z that already has the valve and guide issue sorted out via AH or some other cylinder head swap.. Plus, it is much cheaper to buy a car already modded than to do it all yourself. You could get a 600HP version of the Z for only a few thousand dollars more...
That's a good point. Buying a modded z is probably a good idea.

Quick Reply: [Z06] two questions about C6 Z06