Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z E-Force Blower Cam or Stock Cam?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:08 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default C6Z E-Force Blower Cam or Stock Cam?

The car made about 687 rwhp on about 8 lbs boost (not exactly sure on boost lbs. but one size pulley change on the eforce and a tune)before a cracked piston at over 155 then found that the cylinder liner and block were also cracked...not sure how it really happened but it's going back together with forged pistons.
in my almost daily driver.

I'm really done spending cash after the eforce $12K and likely another $12K plus for this mess all within 6 months.
Taking a fine running stock car and doing this to it seems like a bad idea in hind sight. I told the shop that I didnt really want to change the cam before I knew we needed a block and it felt plenty fine the way it ran before it broke.

But, now that we are getting a new GM block and the cam is coming out, maybe several hundred dollars more for cam and springs wont hurt.

Considerations and driving environment: How the car is used is important.
Dont want to sacrifice a bit of low end torque as I enjoy cracking throttle and smoking the tires (if want to) and mileage is still some consideration for my 4 hour round trip commute. As you all know the Z turns pretty low revs in 6th on the highway, need low end torque for the mountains in 6th gear. Then in traffic in Manhattan, NY till heading back home.
Otherwise the car is driven on mountain roads early Sunday mornings and occasional top end runs.

Just wondering, has anyone installed a blower cam in their LS7 and been very happy with it compared to the stock cam? Maybe something more like the GM blower cam in the LS9 or is there a GM performance cam for the LS9 that can be used in the LS7?

Will a blower cam increase drivability, decrease cylinder pressure or make the motor more durable? will it help reduce blowby or anything other than add power?

I had an LS6 Z with a magcharger and stock cam and it was a great car that reached 125K miles and still strong when sold. The OEM LS6 cam had specs similar to some blower cams though and not sure about LS7 cam.

Anyway, its now or never.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Try a Torquer 110. It has more power right off idle. I can cruise at 1100 RPM and stab the throttle without any bogging. The blower cam is for blowers and isn't right for NA applications.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:30 AM
stealth1281
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was under the impression the OP was putting the blower on his new motor?
Also, I thought the max boost you could run on stock internals was 4.5 or 5lb? Could this be the reason he cracked a piston, cylinder liner, and block in the first place?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

8 psi is too much for an LS7 to run in stock form and without meth injection or a race gas tune. The LS7 is not built to handle boost well and at 8 psi with 11:1 comp ratio, detonation is easy.
Most knowledgeable tuners will usually go as high as 6 psi on stock LS7s assuming 93 octane gas.
The following users liked this post:
speedz06 (01-22-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:43 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for this . was debating on changing my pulley on my eforce.... no fricken way.. LOL doing meth for safety though.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
8 psi is too much for an LS7 to run in stock form and without meth injection or a race gas tune. The LS7 is not built to handle boost well and at 8 psi with 11:1 comp ratio, detonation is easy.
Most knowledgeable tuners will usually go as high as 6 psi on stock LS7s assuming 93 octane gas.
^This. 8 psi is too much without forged internals. 5-6 psi should be the max on a stock motor IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z E-Force Blower Cam or Stock Cam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z E-Force Blower Cam or Stock Cam?