Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2013 z06 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 z06 problems

Hell my name is blake, I am new to the forum. I am on my second corvette , my first was black 2008 base c6 ls3/auto. I traded it about 4 months ago for a car that I have always wanted. A 2013 black z06 wth z07 ultimate package , has magnetic ride ,carbon ceramic brakes, and carbon fiber ground effects. This car has been my dram car since they released them in 2006. I finally was able to pull the trigger and purchase one. I bought it from stadium auto in Arlington ,Tx. It was by far the worst buying experience I have ever had. I would not recommend nor wish anyone to purchase a corvette much less any car from stadium auto. They lied, drug out , tried to charge more after the fact , changed price on paperwork and my bank caught it. They still owe me a we owe that has not been taken care of and will not call me back at all on any issues I've had with buying the car off of them. I shouldn't of gotten the car off of them. I am writing this post because I am having warranty issues with the car and need some advice. When I got the car it had 5,280 miles on it so it had plenty of factory warranty on it left, it had a shimmy in the steering wheel, I figured that it was a wheel balance issue as it had new tires installed. Had them balance them, drive the car it seemed to be fine at speed 60 and below and then I got on the highway to drive home to Oklahoma and found out the vibration was still there. Called them and told then about it and they said bring it back to have it rebalanced , i was alreadyhalf way on my 3 hour trip back home so I just went home and got the tires balanced at my local shop i use. Still no luck vibration is still there. New tires checked and were good, wheel runout is ok. Did some reading and come to find out that zr1 owners are having vibration issues due to most likely the carbon ceramic brake rotors being out of balance. Had the wheel balance one more time just to be sure. Still no go. So I brought it to my local dealership for warranty issue on them. Told them the problem and that I had the wheels checked and rebalanced and that I sill have the vibration issue. They balanced the wheels again and told me that everything was good. It wasn't. Same problem but now worse than before the dearlership. So I drove it for a little while. Read up on it some more and tried to do the brake burnishing procedure. It seemed to help a little but not much. At this time on my way back from a class I had in Durant Oklahoma driving down the highway I was passing a few cars in te fast lane in fourth gear my car decide it wanted to spin #4 rod bearing. Lost power pulled over to a gas station and called GM , towed truck picked me up and brought me back to the local dealership. I told then I was still having problems with the brakes and now have a motor issue that later was found to be spun bearing. I ended up getting new motor and come to find out this is the third motor in 7000 miles to be put in this car Great. Motor fixed , vibration wasn't. They told me that they didn't have the scale to weigh the rotors that they can't do anything for me on the vibration. So I take my vibrating car again. Driving home I notice my steering wheel is cocked to left and it pulls to the right and when my car is warm it doesn't want to start. While replacing the engine one of the connectors was pulled to hard and made it separate from wiring harness. They didn't realign my car after pulling the cradle for the engine replacement. Due to the car wouldn't fit on their alignment rack because of the carbon fiber ground effects and they told me that they wouldn't align it. I got GM involved on the brakes and that they wouldn't align it , the dealership told GM that my ground effects were aftermarket and that that couldn't fit it on the rack bc of them. Told me to remove the ground effect if I wanted it aligned. (The ground effect are factory zr1 carbon fiber pieces that come with the z07 package) so they referred me to another dealership 2 hours away. I'm in the middle of messaging GM rep and talking to the dealership about all of this. Oh yeah my headlights are cloudy and they were trying to say they were aftermarket and told me once showed they were GM that they cannot get any headlight for a c6 corvette through GM. I have multiple other issues on the car I need fixed. I am writing to get some advice from anyone that has input on here on what I need to do to get the vibration fixed is priority and my other issues. Please any input will be welcome. Thank you.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:12 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Good God you need to find a dealer that has seen more than one Z06 in their entire miserable existence.

As for the brake rotor thing, I would reach out to some of the ZR1 guys that dealt with that, and what they did to remedy it.

Best of luck and hang in there...you have a heck of a car, even though it may not feel like it right now.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:56 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry bud... That's the ultimate letdown if I ever read one!! That car is supposed to be a ZR1 with an LS7.. I have read some of the end models that had the carbon ceramic rotors were not centric ( brake pedal vibration etc).. there was a bad batch of those rotors on some late ZR1's and Z06/Z07's.. Like MTPZ06 said.. talk to some 2012-2013 ZR-1 guys that had bad rotors, I think they had them replaced under warranty FWIC... that's all I can think off for a start.. WOW.. Hope you can get a buy back or whatever to fix this mess you do not deserve!

Last edited by REDZED2; 01-22-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP, start reading...lots of information here. The vibration issue can be resolved...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-issues.html
Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Hope you get it sorted out. I bought my car from Stadium Auto also. Not a very fun experience but nothing likes yours.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

OP, by the way, the no-lead bearings in 2012 and 2013 were known to fail. It was common for those late year LS7's to spin the bearings. I don't know if all replacement bearings from Gm for the LS7 are now no-lead or not.

Sorry I can't help you on the CCB's.

The Z06 is a marvelous car with a few problems we all have to work through.

Last edited by AzDave47; 01-23-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 AM
wtam
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think GM should buy back all 2013 because of the bearing issue.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-farewell.html
Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

thats sucks. Didnt you check the carfax before you bought it? That should have showed you the engine replacements. When I was looking I ran as far and fast as I could away from any Z06 that showed an engine replacement. Good luck
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 AM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Wow! Did anything go right in this entire transaction! Hope you get it resolved.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:57 AM
CHoward
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have bought 2011 when the Z07 first came out. More power because of fewer cats and cross pipe plus sounds better. Of course it did take 2 months for them to figure out why it wouldn't start, plus the accessory belt snapped twice at 130mph, the harmonic balancer disintegrated, misfire and had to replace the wiring harness, plus don't get me started on trying to track the car with TPMS sensors. Lou Giggliotti Motorsports makes a device to defeat the TPMS death sentence but it died after a year...At least there's no vibration.
Unless the car was tracked hard there's no reason to weigh the rotors, it took me 3 years of hard track time to wear the rotors and I got the same story about them not having a scale. Any food scale or the ones drug dealers use can weigh them in grams. The weight when they need to be replaced is stamped right on them. I'm not going to comment on the vibration issue since I've never had it.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:25 PM
GLmajer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Time to hire an attorney and envoke the lemon law.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

With respect to conn rod bearings and carbon rotors, I've been very lucky with my '12. No problems with either.

From the OP, I'd sure be looking at out-of-balance rotors. Considering the cost of replacement discs, I can understand GM's reluctance to help you.

You can continue to have dealers and tire shops balance tires but I'd read up on what the ZR1 community has been doing with that issue.

You might even have to take the rotors off, take 'em to a balance shop which does flywheels and have them spin it to see if it actually is out of balance. If they prove to be out of balance, take that evidence back to GM and demand new rotors.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:52 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Good God you need to find a dealer that has seen more than one Z06 in their entire miserable existence.

As for the brake rotor thing, I would reach out to some of the ZR1 guys that dealt with that, and what they did to remedy it.

Best of luck and hang in there...you have a heck of a car, even though it may not feel like it right now.

The area I live in people have nothing but trucks. But I do know they sell corvettes at this dealership because they have them on their showroom floor.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:54 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
OP, start reading...lots of information here. The vibration issue can be resolved...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-issues.html
I've been going through all of these once I found this. That's where I came to the conclusion that the rotors are out of balance. That an the fact that there are weights that can be bolted to the rotor.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:56 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by AzDave47
OP, by the way, the no-lead bearings in 2012 and 2013 were known to fail. It was common for those late year LS7's to spin the bearings. I don't know if all replacement bearings from Gm for the LS7 are now no-lead or not.

Sorry I can't help you on the CCB's.

The Z06 is a marvelous car with a few problems we all have to work through.

They were trying to say I had a heavy foot and that's why the bearings failed. Told me to stay out of the pedal.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Sikstik
thats sucks. Didnt you check the carfax before you bought it? That should have showed you the engine replacements. When I was looking I ran as far and fast as I could away from any Z06 that showed an engine replacement. Good luck
I do check the carfax. I didn't look at it good enough and thought it said engine repair not engine replacement. That was my fault. After the fact that the dealership told me that it already had one motor I looked at the carfax again and seen it said that.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:02 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
With respect to conn rod bearings and carbon rotors, I've been very lucky with my '12. No problems with either.

From the OP, I'd sure be looking at out-of-balance rotors. Considering the cost of replacement discs, I can understand GM's reluctance to help you.

You can continue to have dealers and tire shops balance tires but I'd read up on what the ZR1 community has been doing with that issue.

You might even have to take the rotors off, take 'em to a balance shop which does flywheels and have them spin it to see if it actually is out of balance. If they prove to be out of balance, take that evidence back to GM and demand new rotors.

I found a shop that does the balancing that is one of my next options if the next trip to a different dealer goes bad.

Last edited by BT1984; 01-23-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 z06 problems

Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by CHoward
Should have bought 2011 when the Z07 first came out. More power because of fewer cats and cross pipe plus sounds better. Of course it did take 2 months for them to figure out why it wouldn't start, plus the accessory belt snapped twice at 130mph, the harmonic balancer disintegrated, misfire and had to replace the wiring harness, plus don't get me started on trying to track the car with TPMS sensors. Lou Giggliotti Motorsports makes a device to defeat the TPMS death sentence but it died after a year...At least there's no vibration.
Unless the car was tracked hard there's no reason to weigh the rotors, it took me 3 years of hard track time to wear the rotors and I got the same story about them not having a scale. Any food scale or the ones drug dealers use can weigh them in grams. The weight when they need to be replaced is stamped right on them. I'm not going to comment on the vibration issue since I've never had it.

I told them that on the scale and they said it had to be a J tool for them to use it on the warranty claim. As for the tpms sensors mine go crazy if even begin to drive the at hard. It always shows that it's a different tire XX and throws the stabilitrak light sometimes. Which disables the PTM. So me tracking the car is out of the question. I was really looking forward to this summer to do some HPDEs but that's no longer an option. Mine every once in awhile throws random misfire for some reason. I can't feel it or anything it jus turns on check engine light for a few seconds and then goes off.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ANY WARRANTY ?????? The car is HEXED Bring it back, i would
Old 01-23-2016, 06:27 PM
BT1984
Advanced

Originally Posted by GLmajer
Time to hire an attorney and envoke the lemon law.

With as many problems as this car has had in the past 4 month I am about to do just that. I bought the car used and in a different state. So I don't know how all this would work. This thing is a mess.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2013 z06 problems