Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help - Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Joram
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Check Engine Light

So I had LG LT headers (with 3" pipe back and hi-flo cats) and a cam installed about 3 weeks ago and yesterday the check engine light came on. Swung it by a random autozone and the computer showed: "Replace Oxygen Sensor(s): Error Code P0151 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)". And in its defense the car went from usually 11 mpg to about 9 mpg yesterday and died while idling for the first time ever in the evening. When I went to restart it actually struggled a bit. Should I get educated on how to change it out and buy the $65 sensor or is it worth contacting the shop about some sort of issue? A guy at work told me those new headers will get a lot hotter and can start frying some wires...(not sure if there's any validity to that or not). Any guidance from some of you guys that have already done these mods or replaced an O2 sensor? It's an 07' with 56,000 miles

Last edited by Joram; 02-07-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Joram
Intermediate

Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Ok well I would suggest two new ones can't cheap out on that..I have two spares at home...for emergency's.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

The stock headers have a built-in heatshield, the aftermarket headers do not. The aftermarket headers also move the location of the oxygen sensors. The installer has to take care to ensure the wires are out of harms way and will not melt. I'd be willing to be you have some melted wires for your oxygen sensors.

It is an easy fix, just be sure to tie the wires out of the way when you replace the oxygen sensors.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Joram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 08mojo
The stock headers have a built-in heatshield, the aftermarket headers do not. The aftermarket headers also move the location of the oxygen sensors. The installer has to take care to ensure the wires are out of harms way and will not melt. I'd be willing to be you have some melted wires for your oxygen sensors.

It is an easy fix, just be sure to tie the wires out of the way when you replace the oxygen sensors.
Just ordered two new ones. Anything to know about putting them in? I guess i'll probably add some heat protector on them as well.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Nope, the hardest part is lifting the car. I always use anti-seize on the threads.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:51 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Joram
So I had LG LT headers (with 3" pipe back and hi-flo cats) and a cam installed about 3 weeks ago and yesterday the check engine light came on. Swung it by a random autozone and the computer showed: "Replace Oxygen Sensor(s): Error Code P0151 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)". And in its defense the car went from usually 11 mpg to about 9 mpg yesterday and died while idling for the first time ever in the evening. When I went to restart it actually struggled a bit. Should I get educated on how to change it out and buy the $65 sensor or is it worth contacting the shop about some sort of issue? A guy at work told me those new headers will get a lot hotter and can start frying some wires...(not sure if there's any validity to that or not). Any guidance from some of you guys that have already done these mods or replaced an O2 sensor? It's an 07' with 56,000 miles
I had these same symptoms on my C5 and Z06. I solved mine with a tune. If you put headers on it and hi flow cats then the pre-cats were removed. This was my experience good Luck

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Check Engine Light

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help - Check Engine Light