Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] help me choice valve for c6 z

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 PM
stock z
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choice valve for c6 z

i got 08 c6 z06 for couple year ,but after i read valve train problem on zo6 i dont want drive car .but i still love the car.i hope someone here help me keep my z back on the road
i plant take cylinder head out to my local machine shop for they replace valve guide and exhaust valve,valve spring
could you give me parts number for ss exhaust valve
what type on valve guide parts number
on valve spring can i used old one or buy new one at gm .
i really need friend here help .thanks
Old 02-10-2016, 02:57 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Definitely don't drive it...don't even start it up...it will for sure blow up.
Whatever head builder you go with will have all the right combos to set you up. Look into American Heritage...forum vendor here with plenty of right options.
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:04 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would take the heads off and inspect them first

Then u can get what you need.

Mine was an 06 and it was not really out of spec but as I went on to put cam and stuff I put Manley ss exhaust valves but kept the titanium Intake valves as they are not problematic.

Changed the springs also speak to Brian Tooley racing he's a good guy and there combos are good.
SteveDoten (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

As was already mentioned, if you live in the US you should call these guys to discuss your options.
http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 02-10-2016, 04:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
As was already mentioned, if you live in the US you should call these guys to discuss your options.
OP, this isn't something you want to give to the local guy that hasn't done very many LS7 heads, if any at all. You want experience and a track record here. Even if you are not in the US, contact American Heritage (link above)...they have shipped their rebuilt LS7 heads all over to places like Europe an the Middle East I believe. Give them a call or email...
Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

There is West Coast Cylinder Heads, and then there is all the rest.

Some free nudey pics

Old 02-11-2016, 04:59 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

wcch does nice work but there are fundamental differences between them and us (American Heritage) when it come to the LS7 Heads.

We are not a big fan of bronze guides when running stock rockers. In fact we stopped running bronze guides in LS7 heads years ago. If running a shaft mount rocker then a bronze guide will be fine but most people run stock rockers and the stock rockers side load the valve (due to their design). Bronze guides do not hold up that well when exposed to excessive valve side loading. We use our hardned Powder Metal valve guides or our proprietary MoldStar90 valve guides (same material used in F1 and Indy Heads). Both alloys (PM and M90) stand up very well to valve side loading.
We also hold our machining tolerances to a very very tight German standard. We are not a high production shop we hand port via our superflow600 flow bench and measure run-out on every valve job (less than .001" valve seat run-out even with a large 2.2 inch valve. Far exceeding industry standards).

And yes we do ship worldwide... Canada, Europe, Australia, UAE. ect...

Last edited by American Heritage; 02-11-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

WCCH = old school / old tech
AHP = new school / new tech

AHP is the thinking man's choice.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:40 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mtomlin1
I would take the heads off and inspect them first

Then u can get what you need.

Mine was an 06 and it was not really out of spec but as I went on to put cam and stuff I put Manley ss exhaust valves but kept the titanium Intake valves as they are not problematic.

Changed the springs also speak to Brian Tooley racing he's a good guy and there combos are good.
I did the same. Manley SS exhaust valves and stock Titanium tumble polished. Getting stockers polished is important!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

I can't challenge this because I have no authority on head porting but there is nothing revolutionary about the LS7 head that requires a different engineering perspective to extract horsepower.

That being said, had my builder asked me who to go with for head porting (he didn't, lol), I'd have suggested either Tony Mamo or AHP.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Exactly. I came across a private conversation between AHP and Katech proving exactly this point. A conversation Katech never wanted leaked to the general public.

Katech: "hey, your operation at AHP is so new school, with emerging tech like hand porting, can we send you cylinder heads for use on our OEM grade vehicle packages? We don't take it lightly when we put our name on a product, so your company was at the tippy top of our list."

AHP: "No, sorry, we are limited production only. Our hand porting tools are powered by our love for the LS7, the little things like new paint marks on individual components make this shop the very best there is. Sorry, we won't be corporate sellouts to your OEM supporting Motorsports company, no matter how badly you beg us."

Katech: "Fine, AHP. I see the light now. We will just have to go with our fifth choice, WCCH. Their CNC machines and proprietary cylinder head developments are a little behind the times, but we will suffer your rejection with dignity, so long as wind of this conversation never gets out..."
REDZED2 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:57 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Exactly. I came across a private conversation between AHP and Katech proving exactly this point. A conversation Katech never wanted leaked to the general public.

Katech: "hey, your operation at AHP is so new school, with emerging tech like hand porting, can we send you cylinder heads for use on our OEM grade vehicle packages? We don't take it lightly when we put our name on a product, so your company was at the tippy top of our list."

AHP: "No, sorry, we are limited production only. Our hand porting tools are powered by our love for the LS7, the little things like new paint marks on individual components make this shop the very best there is. Sorry, we won't be corporate sellouts to your OEM supporting Motorsports company, no matter how badly you beg us."

Katech: "Fine, AHP. I see the light now. We will just have to go with our fifth choice, WCCH. Their CNC machines and proprietary cylinder head developments are a little behind the times, but we will suffer your rejection with dignity, so long as wind of this conversation never gets out..."
LOL...WTF.

I think Katechs reputation speaks for itself......they have done more for the LS7 and C6Z than AH ever has or ever will.....
Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

BUTT HURT ALERT!!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:15 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Josh B.

This might open up a can of worms, lol.

I'm kinda confused about your last two responses though. Are you supporting WCCH or not? First post would suggest you do, then this one above leaves me confused..?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 AM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion

I'm kinda confused about your last two responses though. Are you supporting WCCH or not? First post would suggest you do, then this one above leaves me confused..?
There is a high level of sarcasm in his second post that you seemed to have missed.
The following 2 users liked this post by 08mojo:
Josh B. (02-11-2016), REDZED2 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

BUTT HURT ALERT!!
Seeing how I do not have a Katech Z...but am able to recognize where a lot of LS7 data and information came to us from the beginning to the end.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:36 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 08mojo
There is a high level of sarcasm in his second post that you seemed to have missed.
I thought so.

Get notified of new replies

To help me choice valve for c6 z

Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 08mojo
I missed it too!!!! Sorry Josh B.
Josh B. (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fueledpassion

It is satire, yes I support WCCH and would choose them again, but I recognize the merits of AHP as a sound alternative. I just got a writers itch this morning when wcch was described as old school, and ahp as new school, with respect to the person who wrote that, I mean no disrespect. I just don't agree.

Just stirring the pot in good fun. Joshing you.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

BUTT HURT ALERT!!
No sir. Just trying to make us all smile a little bit!

Quick Reply: [Z06] help me choice valve for c6 z