Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Short 102 runners a succes 639wh

Old 03-20-2016, 02:15 PM
ian08
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robz
I'm glad it made gains. Thanks for including us in on your project. If you ever drag race it then you'll want to shift it as high as you feel comfy for best performance provided traction, of course.
no problem i am all about sharing info rev limit is set at 7200 ill shift at 6900-7k traction wont be a problem i have a set of 17" et street Rs for it all i do is drag and roll race this car i have a ton of vids on youtube look up LUMBERJACK Z06 if u like that stuff bunch of badass cars on there rolls dig runs 1/2 mile stuff
Old 03-20-2016, 04:37 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Congrats on the results. I love the innovation!! How long did it take you to modify the IM? You're jedi strength in epoxy is strong.

The results surprise me, but in a good way. With so much information out there on the internet as to IMs, it's almost enough to make your head spin. Long runner, short runner, fast, MSD, ITB. I have the MSD and I'm satisfied.

Great results
Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Congrats on the results. I love the innovation!! How long did it take you to modify the IM? You're jedi strength in epoxy is strong.

The results surprise me, but in a good way. With so much information out there on the internet as to IMs, it's almost enough to make your head spin. Long runner, short runner, fast, MSD, ITB. I have the MSD and I'm satisfied.

Great results
haha thanks and it took me about 40h to complete but alot of that was messing around figuring out what works i started with 2 runners i cut them 3 times and tried a couple different ways of shaping and building the entries i prolly could do it in 20-25h now but still tons work and the results went against everything i have ever read about short runners i took 6" of total length off thats insane and it improved flatened and smoothed my whole trq curve not just the top end shifted peak right where i wanted
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

If I purchase a fast is the job pretty straight forward can you make a sticky please I will email moderater that is good should be better than Msd then in comparison correct.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
If I purchase a fast is the job pretty straight forward can you make a sticky please I will email moderater that is good should be better than Msd then in comparison correct.
i made a thread with pics and info as i was making them but i really cant make a sticky out of it its custom work with your hands and eyes lots of shaping and sanding trying to keep everything consistent its like a head porter trying to give a step by step i dont know how to explain it i had a plan or vision and it came together
Old 03-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Someone seriously needs to draw up a little fast bell mouth adapter and then 3d print these. Then it would be as simple as cutting off the ends and epoxy a new end on.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ian08
haha thanks and it took me about 40h to complete but alot of that was messing around figuring out what works i started with 2 runners i cut them 3 times and tried a couple different ways of shaping and building the entries i prolly could do it in 20-25h now but still tons work and the results went against everything i have ever read about short runners i took 6" of total length off thats insane and it improved flatened and smoothed my whole trq curve not just the top end shifted peak right where i wanted
Could you have cut the runner 4" to 5" inches then try to epoxy the original mouth back on? Don't know if this question was asked or not but curious. By the way very nice gains! Great job!! We're there any other modifications or changes before what you did with the Fast? Or are all the gains attributed to just the Improved Fast intake? Either way very nice outcome considering what was said about runner length and how it affects HP and TQ.

Last edited by spra4u; 03-21-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:03 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
Someone seriously needs to draw up a little fast bell mouth adapter and then 3d print these. Then it would be as simple as cutting off the ends and epoxy a new end on.
if i could find somebody in my area to do that it would be sweet and make this a 1-2 day process instead of a week
Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by spra4u
Could you have cut the runner 4" to 5" inches then try to epoxy the original mouth back on? Don't know if this question was asked or not but curious. By the way very nice gains! Great job!! We're there any other modifications or changes before what you did with the Fast? Or are all the gains attributed to just the Improved Fast intake? Either way very nice outcome considering what was said about runner length and how it affects HP and TQ.
no the runner gets bigger as i approches the stock end and its not square i tried that and the stock bell mouths are **** on the runner anyways i did add a 102TB and ditched the VR intake for the full 4" one pictured and took the cats out so it is not a true apples to apples deal only other thing i did to the fast intake besides the runners is shave down that nasty little lip on the lower shell that sticks up where it meets the runner its that small removable piece on the bottom side
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM
ian08
Racer

the true test is time and seeing how well the epoxy holds up on the end of the runners and where i had to epoxy them into the lower shell to hold them depending on how much i get to drive car in the next month cause of weather i will be pulling it back off and checking everything after some racing
Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

if i could find somebody in my area to do that it would be sweet and make this a 1-2 day process instead of a week
I have some autocad experience and wouldn't mind drawing something up. if only you were closer.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Quicker
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really thinking about trying this myself.

On the original untouched runners. there is a rib that runs length wise down the runner on the top. Also the runner is held in place on the opposite side via a mounting boss and small bolt. I would probably leave that small rib along the top side of the runner, maybe 3/8" wide, to maintain that mounting location to hold the runner in place without using epoxy. Another option is use a small piece of metal rod to epoxy to the runner, run the rod to the mounting boss location. That way the runner is still held in place but is removable.

It's hard to describe what I'm envisioning in my head so I'm sorry if that didn't make sense.

Mike
Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I'll 3d print a set up if someone sends me a file.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by Quicker
I'm really thinking about trying this myself.

On the original untouched runners. there is a rib that runs length wise down the runner on the top. Also the runner is held in place on the opposite side via a mounting boss and small bolt. I would probably leave that small rib along the top side of the runner, maybe 3/8" wide, to maintain that mounting location to hold the runner in place without using epoxy. Another option is use a small piece of metal rod to epoxy to the runner, run the rod to the mounting boss location. That way the runner is still held in place but is removable.

It's hard to describe what I'm envisioning in my head so I'm sorry if that didn't make sense.

Mike
it would be very hard to cut and shape runner and leave that rib in it i think and i could not come up with a better way then epoxying them in that i fealt that did not add more risk of something comming apart but that dosent mean u cant were all here to share info
Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
I'll 3d print a set up if someone sends me a file.
that was my problem i could not find any body to write the file
Old 03-22-2016, 03:57 PM
Quicker
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it would be very hard to cut and shape runner and leave that rib in it i think and i could not come up with a better way then epoxying them in that i fealt that did not add more risk of something comming apart but that dosent mean u cant were all here to share info
I was certainly not trying to imply that your way of mounting the runners was wrong lol.... you did it the way you felt was best. If I were to try this, I was just trying to come up with a less "permanent" way of securing the runners to the base. A new set of runners is around 360.00 so if it didn't work out for me, I'd just buy a new set of runners and still have a usable manifold. The runners fit fairly snug in place with the rubber gaskets so I'm thinking it wouldn't take a whole lot to keep them there.

Kudos to you for trying this and having success. :thumb:

Mike

Last edited by Quicker; 03-22-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 PM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by Quicker
I was certainly not trying to imply that your way of mounting the runners was wrong lol.... you did it the way you felt was best. If I were to try this, I was just trying to come up with a less "permanent" way of securing the runners to the base. A new set of runners is around 360.00 so if it didn't work out for me, I'd just buy a new set of runners and still have a usable manifold. The runners fit fairly snug in place with the rubber gaskets so I'm thinking it wouldn't take a whole lot to keep them there.

Kudos to you for trying this and having success. :thumb:

Mike
i know u were not implying that keep us updated on what u come up with

Get notified of new replies

To Short 102 runners a succes 639wh

Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I wonder how much the TB helped. I'm thinking bout getting one. You on stock injectors? If so, those suckers must be damn near maxed out.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 AM
ian08
Racer

Originally Posted by rio95
I wonder how much the TB helped. I'm thinking bout getting one. You on stock injectors? If so, those suckers must be damn near maxed out.
i have heard anywhere from 5-10 on TB and no my stock injecters were sent to fic and inlarged to 700cc comes out to like 70lbs i think previous owner did it for some reason car was boltons when i got it
Old 03-24-2016, 09:37 PM
BatMobile186
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's interesting to me about this post is that the majority of that power had to come from the manifold.
The throttle body isn't any good for more than just throttle response.I think most people MIGHT see 2WHP.you would think it would be worth more but it isn't.
The intake isn't going to give you any more than maybe a couple WHP as well.Especially if you're already going from the VR. YES!! the cold air you have there outperforms the VR on the dyne but again not more than a couple WHP..
The removal of the cats is worth about 10WHP generally speaking but thats the only mod I'm not 100% on,as i personally speaking did mine together with other mods.
that Leaves the rest of those gains to be attributed to the manifold.
All I know is I REALLY WANT TO TRY THIS..
I'd like to get as much info as possible before I commit.Anything else at all that could of been missed that maybe helped attribute to the power gain???
The following users liked this post:
The Highlander (05-26-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Short 102 runners a succes 639wh