Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] check your FAST intake...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:21 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default check your FAST intake...

just an fyi to everyone, this may be old news, but figured I'd mention it.

The long bolts holding the upper and lower half of the fast 102 intake together decided to come loose. 4 of the 8 nuts backed completely off and were luckily trapped between the intake and the valley cover.

It obviously created a huge vacuum leak that I couldn't find at idle. The rubber gasket held enough at idle, but under heavy load it would suck air all around the intake.

FAST needs to use loctite.
The following 2 users liked this post by SlowBusa08:
Landru (06-07-2016), Z2Z (04-07-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM
blacktavert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had several mine back out also, didn't have any vacuum leaks though. I pulled mine off over winter and used Loctite on everything and now constantly check them and torque them down as needed
Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowBusa08

The long bolts holding the upper and lower half of the fast 102 intake together decided to come loose. 4 of the 8 nuts backed completely off and were luckily trapped between the intake and the valley cover.

It obviously created a huge vacuum leak that I couldn't find at idle. The rubber gasket held enough at idle, but under heavy load it would suck air all around the intake.

Let me know if you want to swap for an MSD intake.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Originally Posted by spra4u
Let me know if you want to swap for an MSD intake.
No thanks that thing is Fugly, even if it is slightly stronger on power.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:32 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

No thanks that thing is Fugly, even if it is slightly stronger on power.
Well... Guess I should have seen this coming. I now have 2 cracked pistons from what looks like detonation.

5 and 7 let loose part of the top ring land broke away, cracked the sleeves on both cylinders.

Now I'm waiting for my ERL replacement. I planned to do this, but much much further down the road.

LOCTITE YOUR FAST INTAKE BOLTS!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Not the first motor I've heard of being lost do to a fast.

Local guy had one come apart and suck parts right through the motor.

MSD all the way.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:16 AM
Gearpuller
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

When I read the titil I would have bet money that was the issue. A friend of mine lost his LS 7 that way. When removing the intake to install a rear coolant cross over a nut rolled into an intake runner. Cracked piston and sleeve. He also went with ERL block.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:26 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Just looked. Nothing loose on mine.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:12 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Yeah I wasn't happy when I pulled the spark plugs and the ground tang on the plugs looked like they both lost a nasty battle of thumb wars.

Glad to be a member of the big boy community now with the forged ERL, but again not the way I wanted it.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:02 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the instructions saying to use Locktite on the case bolts? Maybe not... I ported mine, so I had it in pieces anyway and it's become second nature to reach for Locktite for damn near everything on these LS platforms. Looks like the days of lock washers and lock nuts are over.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael_D
It's been a while, but I seem to recall the instructions saying to use Locktite on the case bolts? Maybe not... I ported mine, so I had it in pieces anyway and it's become second nature to reach for Locktite for damn near everything on these LS platforms. Looks like the days of lock washers and lock nuts are over.
Mine came assembled from FAST so ignorantly enough I assumed it was good to go. They now have loctite on them.....
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM
MikeOC
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktavert
had several mine back out also, didn't have any vacuum leaks though. I pulled mine off over winter and used Loctite on everything and now constantly check them and torque them down as needed
If you retorque them after applying Loctite, aren't you breaking the seal and making the Loctite ineffective? If applying Loctite, wouldn't you be better served by marking the bolt face and surrounding area?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Been there and done that. Prior to my H/C build the bolts on my FAST came loose and one of the nuts fell off. Luckily I was able to catch it in enough time.

I used loctite for my H/C package. I am still paranoid from the experience and check it periodically and it's fine now.

Loctite is a must.............
Old 05-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 AM
batmanforever
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The nuts that come loose and fall into the motor, are these from the x5 bolts on each side (x10 in total) that hold the upper intake shell on?
Not the x10 under the fuel rails, not the x3 across the back under the cowl and not the the x2 near the throttle body?
The x10 that hold the upper shell on are easily accessible and if these are periodically torqued down to the recommended maximum of 89in/lbs, will that be sufficient as preventative maintenance?
Thanks

Last edited by batmanforever; 06-07-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Originally Posted by batmanforever
The nuts that come loose and fall into the motor, are these from the x5 bolts on each side (x10 in total) that hold the upper intake shell on?
Not the x10 under the fuel rails, not the x3 across the back under the cowl and not the the x2 near the throttle body?
The x10 that hold the upper shell on are easily accessible and if these are periodically torqued down to the recommended maximum of 89in/lbs, will that be sufficient as preventative maintenance?
Thanks
Yes the 5 bolts down each side. You can check them as often as you like. My problem is that I did not know they would come loose and now have a blown motor as the result.
The following users liked this post:
batmanforever (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

My problem is that I did not know they would come loose and now have a blown motor as the result.
Trashed a LS7 because bolts worked themselves loose?
Many 'should'ves' and not one your fault starting with no manufacture recommendation Locktite be used on all bolts. Good grief, my heart goes out to you.

This kind of thing would easily be enough to cause me a coronary, maybe worse. I'd be that POed.
Others using this intake best pay heed to your warning, and, experience.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 PM
batmanforever
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for reply.
Have checked and they were all under half of recommended torque
Good preventive maintenance
Cheers
Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

So ERL to the rescue my fully forged short block just showed up, time to get the motor back together.

I pulled the FAST intake apart tonight to clean it out, man it was a mess It had been draining for a few weeks now, so the standing oil was gone, but there were 3 separate piston chunks inside the intake, a few plastic coils from when they built the intake, and lots of metallic dust.

it seemed like there was more debris in the intake that what was missing from my piston heads.

I took the intake runners inside and put them in the sink with a **** load of dish soap and some warm water. I figured if it gets my hands clean, and they can use it to wash baby ducks, then it'll work on my intake. Well it cleaned them just fine, but the wife saw what I was doing and I quickly got a "What the F&%k are you doing in my sink!?"

Get notified of new replies

To check your FAST intake...

Quick Reply: [Z06] check your FAST intake...