Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best reasonably priced stereo/speaker upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Best reasonably priced stereo/speaker upgrades

So this is a multi part question that I need your help with. I have a 2007 Z06 with a Bose system/NAV, etc. rear speakers are starting to crackle at decent volume. So that is the first thing I want to address.

Secondly-the door speakers/tweeters-what are they best that you guys have used?

Thirdly-want to add a new NAV with Bluetooth and iPhone connectivity/siriusXM

Fourth-maybe a JL Audio 10 or 12 inch sub. Need amp(s) to power all speakers.

Fifth-have 2 other things I need to address-I have a really annoying rattle in my drivers side door. How do I fix? Also am missing the 2 little screws that hold the plastic under halo cover in place which are just above the passenger and driver head area??

Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2016, 11:44 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

All kinds of good information over in the Audio/Electronics subforum...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 AM
pikemike428
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
All kinds of good information over in the Audio/Electronics subforum...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
I had a few c6 specific questions in here but I'll give it a try over there as well. Thanks for the tip
Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I started a thread over there a while ago, asking for help. I'm in the process of putting the car back together now. The sound deadening part was a real PITA..... I still need to do the trunk, but it should be easier than the cabin. After I get'r all done, I'll add pictures and notes and a shopping list. I did not go overboard on speakers and electronics. Middle of the road. Morrel speakers, Kenwood electronics, a corner sub.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I started a thread over there a while ago, asking for help. I'm in the process of putting the car back together now. The sound deadening part was a real PITA..... I still need to do the trunk, but it should be easier than the cabin. After I get'r all done, I'll add pictures and notes and a shopping list. I did not go overboard on speakers and electronics. Middle of the road. Morrel speakers, Kenwood electronics, a corner sub.
I did the same exact thing. The sound deadening does quite it down in the cab with the flaps closed. Considering I have heads, cam and an Akrapovic exhaust. The Morel speakers coupled with the Kenwood double din and the corner sub from JL audio sound great!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:12 AM
travis1746
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with some budget stuff on my speakers, I already had a 10in JL W3 sub in the car. Front speakers I replaced with kicker 11KS652 6.5in components, rear speakers got kicker 40CS54 5.25in. I have a 5 channel rockford fosgate punch amp powering it all. For the head unit I put in a Kenwood DDX9702S it has bluetooth, hd radio, and android auto. Probably spent less than $1000 on everything, I did the installation myself, I have no complaints with any of the speakers or the head unit.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spra4u
I did the same exact thing. The sound deadening does quite it down in the cab with the flaps closed. Considering I have heads, cam and an Akrapovic exhaust. The Morel speakers coupled with the Kenwood double din and the corner sub from JL audio sound great!!!
Whew, so I was half right. The trunk was easier than the cab, but still a PITA. Wire routing time now.

How'd you route 12v power to the amp? I'm trying to figure out how to route it from the bat, to the in line fuse block, then to a 1 by 2 distribution block (for 2amps behind the seats). I'd like the fuse to be easily accessible, but hidden.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:38 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Whew, so I was half right. The trunk was easier than the cab, but still a PITA. Wire routing time now.

How'd you route 12v power to the amp? I'm trying to figure out how to route it from the bat, to the in line fuse block, then to a 1 by 2 distribution block (for 2amps behind the seats). I'd like the fuse to be easily accessible, but hidden.
I only used one ARC amp. I believe it's the 1200.6. I installed it behind the passenger seat. So I just ran the 12v wire from battery to amp under the carpet and along the passenger side. Those plastic pieces that cover the rear speakers are a pain to install back on after the insulation install. It turned out clean.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:15 PM
pikemike428
Racer

I posted in Audio forum and have had 1 response. I post here and there is far more interest. I used to use MB Quartz in most of my cars in the past, but I have been looking at JL Audio components. Wish list would be a Kenwood Headunit, rear cam, JL stealthbox, JL Audio components, JL amps. I already have a Billet Tech 170 amp alternator, so good to go with power.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I had intended to buy Focal components, based on reviews praising their sound quality. After a conversation with Dennis (Double D Mods), went with the Morel components for the doors and their basic speakers for rear "fill" sound. He also has a 10" corner sub that is less costly than the JL. Figured I'd try it. For amps, I went with the Kenwood D class 5 channel, and will run it bridged for the fronts and the sub. I bought a second, lower grade A/B Kenwood 2 channel for the rears. The Kenwood HU I got has the larger screen, Bluetooth, usb inputs, nav and a rear camera. Sound proofing is a combination of foil backed butyl, self adhesive foam, and MLV on the floor. It's been a labor of love thing. A lit more work than I had anticipated. Hopefully, I'll finish next weekend.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:04 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pikemike420
I posted in Audio forum and have had 1 response. I post here and there is far more interest. I used to use MB Quartz in most of my cars in the past, but I have been looking at JL Audio components. Wish list would be a Kenwood Headunit, rear cam, JL stealthbox, JL Audio components, JL amps. I already have a Billet Tech 170 amp alternator, so good to go with power.
Kenwood head unit is great. The JL amps and subwoofer for a corner box (JL w3) would work great. As far as component speakers for the doors, I would do Morel or JL audio. For the rear speakers don't spend to much as they are just fill in. As far as an amp I used an ARC 1200.6 and it's worked great. I used it as a five channel amp.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM
agmike98
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of y'all want to sell me one of the Bose door speakers you replaced?
Old 04-24-2016, 09:02 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by agmike98
I've got all the bose speakers. ill send you a pm
Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by agmike98
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spra4u
Quick question for you. Did you retain the stock gps antenna, or use the one supplied with the hu? Oh, and did you have clearance issues with the trim plate? Mine is catching when the door opens and closes. I need to remove the hu to adjust the trim, and that would be a good time to swap out antennas. I hate installing or removing the console.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Quick question for you. Did you retain the stock gps antenna, or use the one supplied with the hu? Oh, and did you have clearance issues with the trim plate? Mine is catching when the door opens and closes. I need to remove the hu to adjust the trim, and that would be a good time to swap out antennas. I hate installing or removing the console.
Denis from Double D Mods sent me everything I needed to Install the HU. I told him I had Onstar and steering wheel controls. As of right now everything works as it should. I have the Kenwood DDX-9902S which doesn't have GPS. Although it did come with a GPS antenna but I didn't install it. As for the door on the HU, mine was catching when I first installed but it can be fixed by adjusting the trim piece. I also dislike taking the center console out. It's a pain.
The following users liked this post:
Michael_D (04-25-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Best reasonably priced stereo/speaker upgrades

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best reasonably priced stereo/speaker upgrades