Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My personal journey with oil consumption.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 PM
meridock
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

Sold my 07 Z for a 13 GS. 30K miles and still smiling!!!!
I am leaning towards a C7 GS that is forth coming.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by meridock
I am leaning towards a C7 GS that is forth coming.
Beautiful car. Saw it at the Laguna Seca Corvette Corral last week.. Had a full Carbon package too!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:48 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
Although not a LS7, I am going through this right now with GM. My wifes GMC Terrain is gobbling oil. A week ago we were going out shopping for new bedroom sets for our 2 boys. I usually insist on driving my big-a$$ pick-up because I hate the Terrain. She was complaining of a noise so we took it. 30 minutes into the ride I stopped at a set of lights. When I stepped on the go peddle she said there that noise. She thought it was a exhaust leak. I said nope. sounded more like every lifter bled down. Checked the oil and it was down 4 quarts in a 5 quart engine. No pressure gauge and the idiot light never came on. Brought it to the dealer and discovered it's a known problem with this 4-banger. Dealer changed the oil and it's now in a 1000 mile consumption test. They assured us it will fail and will be repaired at no cost. Not replaced but repaired. Pull the pistons and replace the rings.
Just brought it in for the first 1K mile oil check (actually 1200 miles) and the oil level was perfect. Where did my 4 quarts go
Old 05-11-2016, 02:48 PM
meridock
Racer

I am on mile 1000 on my second 2000 mile test.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
Beautiful car. Saw it at the Laguna Seca Corvette Corral last week.. Had a full Carbon package too!
I wish I had known you were there. It would have been nice to meet you. We may have even bumped into each other between tables in the tent without knowing it. Space was a bit tight at times.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I wish I had known you were there. It would have been nice to meet you. We may have even bumped into each other between tables in the tent without knowing it. Space was a bit tight at times.
. I was there a bit in the corral, but I don't recall seeing the GS. Was it not gray with blue stripes? Oops and I just hijacked the thread... Good luck with fixing oil consumption OP!

Last edited by rockinSeat; 05-11-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:14 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Les
Same here Les.

We are there every year. Will post on Nor. Cal. forum next year. (If I can remember)
Old 05-12-2016, 07:33 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

I was there, too for the 4th year, but this time in our Camry hybrid. Maybe next year the C6 Z06 will make the run, but probably not. It's great to meet other forum members.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
. I was there a bit in the corral, but I don't recall seeing the GS. Was it not gray with blue stripes? Oops and I just hijacked the thread... Good luck with fixing oil consumption OP!
I think the OP already has his solution.

Will post a pic of the GS if I can fine it..
Old 05-25-2016, 10:02 PM
meridock
Racer

1000 miles in on the 2000. I will check oil if I get it warm tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 AM
meridock
Racer

Default Update

Update July 2016 - 2000 miles down since last check.

No oil on dipstick - verified and validated at the dealership.

Car is at the dealer and they are running more GM tests.

No information yet on status (day 3)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a case of excessive oil consumption and previous owners used 10/30 synthetic. I did a leakdown test and found leak back through the intake. Also checked valve movement and intake side had just a little movement but exhaust side had considerable movement. I am keeping the RPMs below 5K until I receive and change out the heads.

I have changed the oil to 20/50 Racing oil. I always used synthetic until the builder of my sbc 406 told me to only use conventional racing oil. The LS7 is a high performance engine and may be better off with the Racing Oil? Don't know for certain, but I have noticed the oil consumption has decreased in my LS7 since the switch.

Last edited by l98tpi; 10-16-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
meridock
Racer

I honestly just want the dealer to find a real issue. the car has been thru more the a couple cycles of oil down over 3.5 quarts. I may be hearing things but I swear the normal valvetrain noise from the LS7 is getting louder from idle to 3k+ RPM. May be me but my concern is the damage to the valve train. Had the car not been under warranty and unmodified - I think I would have gone aftermarket heads by now, but waiting on the diagnosis. (then by god I will get rid of the Skip Shift function!)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by meridock
I honestly just want the dealer to find a real issue. the car has been thru more the a couple cycles of oil down over 3.5 quarts. I may be hearing things but I swear the normal valvetrain noise from the LS7 is getting louder from idle to 3k+ RPM. May be me but my concern is the damage to the valve train. Had the car not been under warranty and unmodified - I think I would have gone aftermarket heads by now, but waiting on the diagnosis. (then by god I will get rid of the Skip Shift function!)
I got fortunate and found a Z that had a bunch of upgrades already. I planned on ditching the stock heads whether I purchased a modified engine or a stock LS7.

I think that one of the first steps to troubleshoot your oil consumption should have been to pull the plugs and inspect them and then go to a leakdown test from there. But Warranty Administrators most often like to drag **** out and hope the issue goes away or there is some miracle cure
Old 07-26-2016, 11:57 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

That's crazy oil loss! I hope you all get it figured out quickly with a good long-term fix! My '09 uses almost zero oil between changes with normal driving (mostly road trips at 75mph) and some spirited passes but not running the revs super high. I'm looking forward to hearing the results...
Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
That's crazy oil loss! I hope you all get it figured out quickly with a good long-term fix! My '09 uses almost zero oil between changes with normal driving (mostly road trips at 75mph) and some spirited passes but not running the revs super high. I'm looking forward to hearing the results...
Usually oil consumption on these engines doesn't go up until they are run at 4-7K RPM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

My wife's Terrain failed the oil consumption test and is going in this morning for new pistons and she's getting a free loaner while it's being repaired.

Get notified of new replies

To My personal journey with oil consumption.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:04 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Usually oil consumption on these engines doesn't go up until they are run at 4-7K RPM.
I can see how running one really hard will definitely use lots of oil, but the OP is losing 3.5qts in 2k, and he doesn't seem to running at track speeds and revs...I'd be really worried under those circumstances.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by NDAGRUV
It is common knowledge, at least among OLD Schoolers like myself, that piston ring seating with conventional oil in "WAS" the only way to break in an engine. In other words, you used conventional oil's for a time (some used to designate 25k miles) before switching to Synthetic oils.
Granted, technology AND engine building tolerances have changed SOMEWHAT over the years, but there is (to me) an obvious lack of proper ring seating among many of today's engines.

Agreed about lack of proper break in, but tuning is so precise and tolerances so perfect, you cannot screw it up on many domestic applications.

Much of this regular oil stuff, was because many mechanics were not educated enough in synthetic oils.

Ring break in has everything to do with load and back pressure, and a perfect tune being more important then oil quality.

Manufactures say to baby the engine to set rings. Most top builders drive them like you stole them, which in testing we have done, actually effected long term oil consumption in a positive way compared to the baby method.

No need to break an engine in with conventional oil, but I did run in a new bike engine with some semi synthetic just to get rid of it lol
Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
My wife's Terrain failed the oil consumption test and is going in this morning for new pistons and she's getting a free loaner while it's being repaired.

One or two years VW installed rings upside down, and it took a while to get those motors corrected

Quick Reply: [Z06] My personal journey with oil consumption.