Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My personal journey with oil consumption.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:38 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm happy. It's getting fixed for nothing AND they gave us a brand new Acadia as a freebee loaner until it's fixed
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 PM
meridock
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah - the car is a Daily Driver to and from work (25miles in traffic) and to and from TKD like 1.2miles, and my weekend errand car. (I know, I know ... a Z06 to got to Food Lion for milk and bread... )

Hell, I doubt the car has seen 6k RPMs (cause you gotta merge into traffic) more than 10 times in the last 2000miles.

Update from the dealer today - GM is likely going to send an engineer to look at the car. Literally every test has yielded a head scratching "nothing is wrong"
Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM
meridock
Racer

UPDATE 2

GM told the dealer to stop all work etc on the car yesterday. After escalating to TAC, the engineer assigned to review came back with "These cars do not burn oil unless they spend a lot of time at high RPM - therefore this car does not have a problem" I have search and read up on others with slight consumption and agree that the complaints of oil consumption come from track cars or really aggressive street driving - I don't feel I do either.

So what is the definition of HIGH RPM?

The Dealer service manager gave me my TAC case number and customer service phone to call to plead the case - but jeefus - the engineer did not even request data logging and such to understand the real usage of the car and assumes I drove it like i stole it. I will call Monday to complain in a semi professional way.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:22 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by meridock
UPDATE 2

GM told the dealer to stop all work etc on the car yesterday. After escalating to TAC, the engineer assigned to review came back with "These cars do not burn oil unless they spend a lot of time at high RPM - therefore this car does not have a problem" I have search and read up on others with slight consumption and agree that the complaints of oil consumption come from track cars or really aggressive street driving - I don't feel I do either.

So what is the definition of HIGH RPM?

The Dealer service manager gave me my TAC case number and customer service phone to call to plead the case - but jeefus - the engineer did not even request data logging and such to understand the real usage of the car and assumes I drove it like i stole it. I will call Monday to complain in a semi professional way.
The LS7 definitely burns oil when it is run in the 4-7K rpm range. On the track, the engine will spend probably 70% of it's time in that 4-7K range and heavy throttle/deceleration with the manifold under vacuum, both of which promote crankcase pressure changes. I get virtually no oil consumption or oil in my EE catch can on the street. On the track where I do run a lot of 4-7K rpms, I'll use 1/2 to 1 Qt in 100 miles and collect 4 ounces of oil in the catch can. I have no problem with my oil consumption.

If you don't run the engine regularly above 4K rpm, then you need to continue follow-up. I don't mean one or two quick runs to 4K+ a couple times per 50-100 miles.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I would tell GM that you agree with them totally. That the LS7 does not burn or use huge amounts of oil unless it has been run at very high rpm and since yours has not been run at hi RPM there must be an as yet undiscovered oil leak or other mfg defect as yet undiscovered.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 PM
CyberZ
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would tell them *******s your not adding anymore dam oil to that car other then when the DIC says it's time for a oil change and they can replace the whole dam motor once it seizes up for no oil. I have had plenty of expierence with GM not standing behind there garbage over the last 5 years and most likes won't buy another. Great point, have them data
Log for 3 month period and check oil.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

My wifes Terrain failed the consumption test. It got all new pistons, rings and what ever comes in the factory "piston kit" supplied by GM for the fix. Went to pick it up, came home with it and a 2017 Acadia limited. Son gets the Terrain and the wife gets a new Acadia Limited. Still waiting for my turn. I want my Vette back.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM
meridock
Racer

Picked up my car today...

The service paperwork has some notes:
"Suspect Engine is being run in an aggressive manor as per bulletin 01-06-01-0111. Aggressive is consider 3000RPM to redline and using the manual transmission to slow down. Consumption in this manor is 1QT per 500 miles."

SOOO... if you have a car and drive it with RPMs below 3/7's of redline you can eat up to 1QT per 2000miles before it is an issue, but as so as you have a manual transmission and drive it in normal traffic... it can consume 4x that before it is considered a problem.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:30 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

That is what we get for buying a car from Chevrolet and letting a Chevrolet dealer work (or not work) on it.

Take a short drive out to Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, Ca and you will get it fixed in short order.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
That is what we get for buying a car from Chevrolet and letting a Chevrolet dealer work (or not work) on it.

Take a short drive out to Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, Ca and you will get it fixed in short order.
I think that's a good idea...Never hurts to get a second opinion for sure! Someone has to be able to figure this out...
Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 PM
meridock
Racer

CA is literally like 3000 miles away!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Good grief, what a "horror story" I feel for you bro, seriously!!
I have entertained thoughts of trading up/to a Z06 from my GS but I keep suppressing those thoughts because of these type threads, they not that far and few between. I am convinced that I made the wiser choice.
Hope things get better for you
NSF
Old 08-01-2016, 02:26 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear how GM is bending you over the sofa. But I can't say I'm really surprised after reading all the posts in here about how they have OBVIOUSLY dodged the dropped exhaust valve issue.
I just drove my ZO6, heads done by Late Model Engines here in Houston about 15K miles ago, all the way to Chicago and back. Total miles on the trip were close to 3K. Added one quart about half way through the trip and still don't need to add anymore yet. So with the miles I put on before I left that's about 1 Qt. in 3500 miles. You have an issue and they are just F@#%&*% you over because they can. Problem is you can't even sell it like it is. Time to play hardball. I hope everything ends up working out for you. Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 AM
meridock
Racer

I am on the fence on whether I am being straight up boned or not. The service bulletin clearly defines aggressive, and I watched how I drove on the way home. I did a decent amount of 3500-4000rpm "pulls" after green lights, a lot of engine braking, and such. I question the definition of aggressive though. 3000RPM is literally a touch on the gas - especially when you are in DC traffic.

So as GM defines what is normal consumption for my style - the LS7 is just eating oil. My LS2 in my 2006 - which I drove exactly the same way - never used any oil. Literally zero usage in a 5k oil change cycle.

I am seriously considering holding on to this car until February or so to allow the new GS's to come into the market and price stabilize, and trade it in for one. the GS's will be better than the older Z06's and not the "new" Z06 temperamental.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by meridock
I am on the fence on whether I am being straight up boned or not. The service bulletin clearly defines aggressive, and I watched how I drove on the way home. I did a decent amount of 3500-4000rpm "pulls" after green lights, a lot of engine braking, and such. I question the definition of aggressive though. 3000RPM is literally a touch on the gas - especially when you are in DC traffic.

So as GM defines what is normal consumption for my style - the LS7 is just eating oil. My LS2 in my 2006 - which I drove exactly the same way - never used any oil. Literally zero usage in a 5k oil change cycle.

I am seriously considering holding on to this car until February or so to allow the new GS's to come into the market and price stabilize, and trade it in for one. the GS's will be better than the older Z06's and not the "new" Z06 temperamental.
In DC traffic you cannot drive the car "agressively that would create normal oil usage like on the track. You would get thrown in jail within 30 minutes. Lightly traveled road and really working the car, yes, but city traffic, no.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM
meridock
Racer

I am in the burbs but to your point. the car doesn't live a quarter mile at a time...
Old 08-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

It appears to me that you are between a rock and a hard place, how do you prove how you "drove your car", answer, you don't, then the burden should be on them to prove what they say is correct and true And they cant (I don't think)
I may lose to the Z06 in any kind of racing but I couldn't'/wouldn't be able to put up with what you have already been thru, just fucin terrible
Trading it in will cost you a bundle if this has all been documented which I assume it has. Man I FEEL FOR YOU
NSF
Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM
meridock
Racer

My major concern going forward is will there be any damage to the car given the less than perfect oil levels over the course of 5000mile service schedule. and of course I am not really able to mod the car without being concerned that an oil issue causes the motor to blow, and the "mod" being the GM claimed problem.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:39 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by l98tpi
I have a case of excessive oil consumption and previous owners used 10/30 synthetic. I did a leakdown test and found leak back through the intake. Also checked valve movement and intake side had just a little movement but exhaust side had considerable movement. I am keeping the RPMs below 5K until I receive and change out the heads.

I have changed the oil to 20/50 Racing oil. I always used synthetic until the builder of my sbc 406 told me to only use conventional racing oil. The LS7 is a high performance engine and may be better off with the Racing Oil? Don't know for certain, but I have noticed the oil consumption has decreased in my LS7 since the switch.
I wanted to give an update on my oil consumption since this is an issue with some LS7's. My oil consumption has really went down. I have autox'd the car once and today went on a spirited test drive after installing new coilovers and brakes. Today I went through about 1/4 tank of fuel and after checking my oil level, there had not been any drop in oil level. And, when I did run the autox, there was only black smoke, from the engine running on the rich side with fuel. I'm currently running Valvoline 20/50 racing oil. Once I replace heads in a couple weeks; I will change to Lucas 20/50 Race Oil.
The following users liked this post:
AzDave47 (10-16-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] My personal journey with oil consumption.