Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Good street tires - Invo, PSS, PS2, NT05?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
IMO and from what I've seen in real life...the RE11 is a bit more extreme than the PSS. I know guys with Z06s that track and don't track on RE11s and get about 11,000 miles out of them. They are a fairly soft compound tire and between those the PSS...I'd opt for the PSS all day on a 100% street car.
Thanks for the info. Yea, I don't plan on tracking this car...waaaaay too pristine for that. I can live with 10k miles, I only put 3k miles a year on my toys. The RE11s may be a lost cause anyway, because I believe they are discontinuing the front tire size.

Do you have any direct comparison in feel between the PSS and the RE11s? Again, I'm not so concerned about the last .01G of lateral grip, as I am about the crisp feel of the steering with the tires.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 PM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the info... ended up going PSS!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Now that autocross SCCA stock classes have to run 200 treadwear rated tires you can pick from their favorites if you like. Rival S and Bridgestone RE-71s. But then again serious competitors need to run 18s to get the tire sizes they want. My preference are the MPSSs.

Last edited by pkincy; 05-10-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Mig233
Racer

So I ordered the RE-11s. Hopefully I'll have them installed today or tomorrow. The more reading I did (opened up the search to all cars with these tires, not just Corvettes) the RE-11s seemed to fit what I wanted in a tire better than the PSS...I don't drive in the wet, non daily driver, only drive in fair weather. I want an aggressive stiff sidewalled tire that gives me very responsive steering...the RE-11 seemed like the better choice (plus they were $150 cheaper). They also seem to be getting phased out, so this is probably my last chance to own them. I'll give me feedback once they are on the car.

Last edited by Mig233; 05-11-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

No one mentioned Continentals? I do like mine. Stock Power Zo6.
Plenty of traction dry and wet, quiet and ride well. I would not track with them but autocross would be ok.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock Goodyear runflats - SUCK !

Nitto NTO5 - Good traction - Good tread life

Michelin PSS - Better traction - Exceptional tread life.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mig233
So I ordered the RE-11s. Hopefully I'll have them installed today or tomorrow. The more reading I did (opened up the search to all cars with these tires, not just Corvettes) the RE-11s seemed to fit what I wanted in a tire better than the PSS...I don't drive in the wet, non daily driver, only drive in fair weather. I want an aggressive stiff sidewalled tire that gives me very responsive steering...the RE-11 seemed like the better choice (plus they were $150 cheaper). They also seem to be getting phased out, so this is probably my last chance to own them. I'll give me feedback once they are on the car.
Are they stopping production on RE11s in C6Z sizes entirely?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM
z10
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I've run Invos and PSS. Both are more quite than the F1's and both ride smoother. I had about 20k miles on the Infos when I picked up a bolt which ruined a front tire. I'm guessing I still had another 10k miles left in them. I switched to PSS which I've got about 1500 miles and they do hook up better.

If all I needed was a tire to cruise with the wife, I'd probably save some money (because I'm stupid... I mean cheap) and buy the Invos. In fact I put them on my Wife's BMW 650i (because I'm stupid......I mean cheap, that's why she drives a 650 instead of a Malibu).

Last edited by z10; 05-15-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zrtman1
Thanks for all the info... ended up going PSS!
These tires continue to impress me with each time I drive the car. I bought these in the winter so I never got to test them out in warmer weather and now that summer is on it's way I gotta say that these tires do live up to the hype!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Mig233
Racer

Originally Posted by LA_Z06
Are they stopping production on RE11s in C6Z sizes entirely?
I'm not sure. As of two weeks ago, they were on backorder at tirerack, they were discontinued at Costco, and I got the last set at BJs. They were installed (by a different shop, because BJs called and said they couldn't install them) two Thursdays ago.

So far (25 miles on them) grip is great and response is very good (for a full tread tire). I can get on it in 2nd and not worry about wheelspin. Even hooks first pretty well. Lateral grip is great and response is very good. I feel a little tread squirm on violent lateral maneuvers, but it comes with 9/32s tread depth, so it will only get better from here.

Last edited by Mig233; 05-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:56 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

When I was tracking...I knew a base C6 owner who only ran RE11s. He was going through sets like they were going out of style...loved them....but couldn't get much more out of them than 4-5 weekends (characteristic of a R compound). I kept telling him, that you might as well go full R compound at that point, but he was convinced the tires were that good..as in comparable to a R888.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Mig233
Racer

Originally Posted by LFZ
When I was tracking...I knew a base C6 owner who only ran RE11s. He was going through sets like they were going out of style...loved them....but couldn't get much more out of them than 4-5 weekends (characteristic of a R compound). I kept telling him, that you might as well go full R compound at that point, but he was convinced the tires were that good..as in comparable to a R888.
Interesting. I opted for the extreme performance tire (RE11) over the max performance tire (PSS) because it suited the way I will be using this car...sunny days, over 50 degrees, spirited drives. I basically treat this car as a 4 wheeled motorcycle. So I was looking for sticky tires that give good driver feedback. I didn't get too much info on this forum for the RE11 vs PSS. However, once I broadened my search, I found the following info:
RE11s are grippier and more responsive than the PSS.
RE11s have stiffer sidewall than the PSS.
RE11s will last longer than the NT-05 but shorter than the PSS.
RE11s are most comparable to the NT-05s, with slight improvements in grip and tread life (NT05s have 7/32 tread depth).

Time will tell if I will be happy with the RE11s, but so far so good. They are not as responsive as the stock Supercars which had 6/32 tread depth left, but I'm betting that will change as they wear.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm on 19/20 INVOs with no issues at roughly 600whp. I got those cheap street tires mounted on some cheap 360 forged 3 piece wheels too.
The following 2 users liked this post by User Omega:
FSTFRC (06-07-2016), z10 (05-27-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Mig233
Racer

So here's an UPDATE:

I have about 100+ miles on these tires now, and have a better feel for them to give an adequate initial review.

First and foremost, they definitely grip! Went for a spirited run up and down my favorite stretch of roads and they performed excellent. I saw 1.05G on the HUD before getting tire squeal. These tires are very neutral and predictable. In a straight line, these tires hook very well. Rolling into the throttle in first gear at 3K+ rpms will spin slightly and bark 2nd. Rolling into the throttle in 2nd hooks without an issue. There are a very soft compound and ride incredibly quiet and well. The ride quality is actually more quiet and comfortable than I prefer. I didn't have a problem with the stock runflats in terms of ride quality and noise, my problem with them was their unpredictable grip, atrocious wear-life, and weight. But the RE-11s make the runflats seem like they were made out of wood. Let's just make this clear right now, any tire on sale today is going to make the supercar runflats seem at best, like they are made from some other material than rubber, and at worst catastrophically dangerous.

The only complaint I have right now, and it's a complaint that I will have on basically every set of new tires short of Rivals and cup tires, is the tread squirm. These are full tread tires 9/32". I'm certain they were firm up as they wear, but I don't like the squirmy feeling at high speeds. The tires certainly grip, but the immediacy of the steering with the runflats, or my C5Z with bald runflats or Rivals is not there. I am glad I went with the RE-11s over the PSS, because based on all my research it seems the PSS has a softer sidewall in comparison to the RE-11s. If I had bought the PSS, I surely would be experiencing the same sluggish steering (PSS has 10/32" tread depth), I would have buyer's remorse not going with the more aggressive "extreme performance" tire.

Overall I'm very happy with my choice and will be giving updates as they wear in and I put more miles on these. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too many reviews for the RE-11s for Z06s (and a some Corvette/muscle car people seem to think that handling XXX RWHP is the only way to review a tire) so hopefully this will serve to be informational for Z06 tire buyers.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:21 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Mig233
Interesting. I opted for the extreme performance tire (RE11) over the max performance tire (PSS) because it suited the way I will be using this car...sunny days, over 50 degrees, spirited drives. I basically treat this car as a 4 wheeled motorcycle. So I was looking for sticky tires that give good driver feedback. I didn't get too much info on this forum for the RE11 vs PSS. However, once I broadened my search, I found the following info:
RE11s are grippier and more responsive than the PSS.
RE11s have stiffer sidewall than the PSS.
RE11s will last longer than the NT-05 but shorter than the PSS.
RE11s are most comparable to the NT-05s, with slight improvements in grip and tread life (NT05s have 7/32 tread depth).

Time will tell if I will be happy with the RE11s, but so far so good. They are not as responsive as the stock Supercars which had 6/32 tread depth left, but I'm betting that will change as they wear.
I will agree the PSS have softer response to either the NT-05 or the RE-11. As far as grip, it is doubtful the RE-11's have more grip. My new PSS with full tread depth and 15 miles on them pulled 1.12G in the same two flat roundabouts that my NT-05's pulled 0.92 and 0.97G respectively. That is moe than a slight grip improvement PSS to NT-05's.

Regardless, your Re11's should give you good service and should be fine for the autocrosses.

You mention the Rivals, but I don't see that they are available in the stock Z06 size for the rear, only go to 18".
Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM
07AOZO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say what you will about the Invo's, in my experience with them (2 sets on a Z06 and a set on a base C6) they have been great. Quiet, comfortable and more than enough grip for any type of street driving.

Price out a set of 345-25/20, they are not cheap.

In any case, I have had zero issues and don't hesitate to recommend them.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Last fall picked up a c6 auto Tires spun from a dig and when the A6 hit 2nd .
Now have super sport ZP and I have a hard time spinning at all. I cant believe
the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Good street tires - Invo, PSS, PS2, NT05?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:37 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to see your review Mig, my Invo's are getting bald fast and will need a new set pretty soon. I see the RE11s are out everywhere, which means you were right and no longer in production. I do a ton of spirited driving and wanted to do the RE11s as they seem to do what I'm looking for but since they're out of production, are the PSS the next best option? I know Dave is a tire expert, so maybe you can throw your 2 cents in here too.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Toyo R888

What about Toyo R888 on the rear, not good for rain but good when it is dry and hot
Old 06-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Mig233
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
As far as grip, it is doubtful the RE-11's have more grip.
It's certainly possible. I'm just going by what I've read on the internet PSS vs RE11...read reviews for 370Z, Porsche, G8, Mustang, M3 bimmerpost etc. The rule is really to go for the newest tire that's available, because the newest tire is almost always best. Tire compounds are getting better and better every year. I wasn't crazy about the RE-11s due to their age (released in 2009). PSS is certainly the better all around tire...I'm fairly certain of that.

Regardless, your Re11's should give you good service and should be fine for the autocrosses.
Hopefully! Now it's time to dial in the suspension.

You mention the Rivals, but I don't see that they are available in the stock Z06 size for the rear, only go to 18".
I ran the Rivals on my 2004 Z06. I sold that car back in March. I wish the Rivals were available in C6Z sizes...it woulda been a no brainer for me.

Oh and BTW for all those running Invos...I have no personal experience driving with them. But my buddy has a 2011 GS vert and has them. They are leaps and bounds better than the supercar runflats...obviously lol. They feel pretty good on his car and his car certainly handles well and puts the power down. He raves about them! Especially because he paid like $1000 installed. There are a lot of negative reviews about the Invos but I can't really say if it's justified or not. From the passenger seat, they seem like a decent deal.

Last edited by Mig233; 06-07-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Good street tires - Invo, PSS, PS2, NT05?