Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Z06: Help me get to 650hp!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:27 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Default New Z06: Help me get to 650hp!

Just got my first corvette a week or so ago. Its a 2008 z06, black 3LZ with 11k miles. Bought from BillyBadd here on this site. Love the car so far, and heres a quick rundown of whats already done:

WCCH Stage 2 Heads with Dual Springs
Comp Cams Trunion "upgrade"
CMC GT-20 Cam
Pfadt Longtubes and X-pipe
Callaway Honker Intake
Stock TB and Intake Manifold

Car is insane, but I would like to run e85 since it is readily available. So I plan to piece together an e85 fuel system consisting of flex fuel sensor, walbro 465 pump, ID850 or 1000 injectors and of course a tune. Also plan to do an MSD intake manifold. What else is needed to make low-mid 600s? Do I need a different cam? Can i port the stock throttle body or is a 102mm necessary? Any other suggestions?

Also I have read some pretty bad things about the comp cams trunion kit, anything I should do about that? Obligatory (dirty) pic of the car the day it came off the trailer:

Thanks

Last edited by MTBSully; 04-21-2016 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTBSully:
IMXCITD (04-23-2016), SteveDoten@ARH (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

What is the car making now?

650 to the wheels N/A is a TALL ORDER on a stock block. Going to have to go to a pretty wild cam and do a lot of other stuff which ALL will hurt driveability. 650 with a blower is easy and driveability will still be ok, but blowers on ls7 are not so kind to the factory bottom end.

E85 isnt the magic that you might think unless you are specifically going to build a motor to take advantage of it i.e. really raise the compression or put forced induction on it.
The following users liked this post:
Hutch146 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 12:23 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

I have a dyno sheet for 558 right now. I think that is a mustang dyno though, can't remember. Maybe mid 600s is being a little cheeky, but i have seen at least a few build threads with common H/C packages making low-mid 600s on e85, so I know it is possible. Car is not a DD or anything like that but I do still want to be able to cruise in it.

I also know e85 works better with FI or increased compression, but I know it cant hurt in these applications either. Especially with the ease of a flex fuel sensor, I can run anything from 93 to e85 and anything in between. Seems to me to be a no brainer since it is available in my area.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:23 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Intake manifold and 102mm throttle body will net you 20-30. That setup thats on there is probably close to running out of injector.

Beyond that, IMO things get silly with big cams, completely different aftermarket heads(the WCCH stage 2 heads are already ported pretty decently so not much more to be had there), and other tricks. Then you still have the factor of the stock block and its thin cylinder liners and pistons that dont take to kindly to detonation.

There is another thread where a guy went all out, solid roller cam, etc... and made 607, which I think is low, should be 650, but something is up with that car.

So is it possible, yea, are you ready to deal with the driveability and maintenance aspect of doing a big cam? Or a solid roller cam? Or building the bottom end(you can only go so much lift on a big cam before you get into piston to valve contact).

And E85, go for it if you want, but its expensive to do right and I dont think will net you the gains you think it might.

Last edited by rjacobs; 04-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Intake manifold and 102mm throttle body will net you 20-30. That setup thats on there is probably close to running out of injector.

Beyond that, IMO things get silly with big cams, completely different aftermarket heads(the WCCH stage 2 heads are already ported pretty decently so not much more to be had there), and other tricks. Then you still have the factor of the stock block and its thin cylinder liners and pistons that dont take to kindly to detonation.

There is another thread where a guy went all out, solid roller cam, etc... and made 607, which I think is low, should be 650, but something is up with that car.

So is it possible, yea, are you ready to deal with the driveability and maintenance aspect of doing a big cam? Or a solid roller cam? Or building the bottom end(you can only go so much lift on a big cam before you get into piston to valve contact).

And E85, go for it if you want, but its expensive to do right and I dont think will net you the gains you think it might.
Good points thanks. Where are you getting the expensive e85 system though? Some guys run it with just the flex fuel sensor and completely stock fuel system. I would do the sensor, fuel pump and injectors. Under $1500.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM
smitty1966
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 08 is a DD, went the supercharger route.
A&A blower with intercooler, DeWitts radiator, High capacity fan, American Racing headers, AlkyControl injection. Limited to 6psi boost.
630 rwhp.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:08 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by smitty1966
My 08 is a DD, went the supercharger route.
A&A blower with intercooler, DeWitts radiator, High capacity fan, American Racing headers, AlkyControl injection. Limited to 6psi boost.
630 rwhp.
Looking to stay NA this season for now. Sounds like a stout combo though!
Old 04-21-2016, 04:18 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Good points thanks. Where are you getting the expensive e85 system though? Some guys run it with just the flex fuel sensor and completely stock fuel system. I would do the sensor, fuel pump and injectors. Under $1500.
ever priced the labor on dropping the tank to put a pump in? There is a reason people run Boost-A-Pump's a lot(of which I am NOT a fan).

I would do it once and do it right if dropping the tank and paying all that labor. I would put a Fore dual pump setup in. Thats $1320.

Then the Dedicated Motorsports flexfuel sensor setup is $400.

Then your ID1000 injectors for another $950.

Thats almost 2700 bucks NOT counting the labor to drop the tanks which I have heard is upwards of $1000 as the tank/s are a beast to drop. Oh and BTW while you are in there, might as well replace the sending units because if you dont, they will break shortly after you put the tanks back in. That last part would be my luck.

Again, if you are building a motor that can REALLY take advantage of E85(high compression or blower) and its readily available to you, I think its a great fuel source. IF the car isnt built to take advantage of E85, I dont really believe there is much power there.

Ill just use my car as an example, running 93 octane. During tuning timing was added and the car made 2 extra hp, the timing was backed out for a safer tune with basically unchanged HP. There was more injector left so we werent risking running lean. It just reached its limit due to my build. SO running E85 with its realistic 98 octane(dont believe this 110 octane BS), where do I go tuning wise to pickup power? The car has already told us its basically got nothing left by not making more power with more timing and we werent running it out of fuel. NOW I am not a tuner, so MAYBE there are some more tuning tricks to get more power out of my setup with E85, but the advantage of E85(cooler EGT's and higher octane), on my setup, I dont think would be realized.

Just my 2c as I hate to see people jump feat first into something because its the "latest and greatest" only to be disappointed in the end because the outcome did not get close to their expectations.

Last edited by rjacobs; 04-21-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:55 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

2" ARH is part of the equation also, where are you located?
Old 04-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

How about a different approach. Seeing how you just got the car and you haven't even had your honeymoon yet, I'd suggest you sleep with the gal for a few weeks, get to know her quirks, then after the hangover is over....cause you will have one, reevaluate your situation.
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten@ARH (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 05:40 PM
JFG Racing #1
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went with this setup:

BTR stage 4 cam
BTR Spring kit
Heads sent to LME for port job and mill
Ported stock throttle body. If you go with a ported 102 prob more ponies as well
Ported MSD intake manifold
Haltech killer bee CAI
Kooks 1 7/8 headers and catted xpipe. If you use catless xpipe you will get a few more ponies

Tuned on 93 pump gas

Made 610.7 whp and 534 tq

Last edited by JFG Racing #1; 04-21-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:45 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JFG Racing #1
I just went with this setup:

BTR stage 4 cam
BTR Spring kit
Heads sent to LME for port job and mill
Ported stock throttle body. If you go with a ported 102 prob more ponies as well
Ported MSD intake manifold
Haltech killer bee CAI
Kooks 1 7/8 headers and catted xpipe. If you use catless xpipe you will get a few more ponies

Tuned on 93 pump gas

Awesome setup. Besides the 102 vs. ported stock throttle body(maybe worth 5-10hp), thats about as "all out" as it gets, especially the cam...and you "only" made 610whp. I say "only" like its nothing, its a sick number. Just trying to point to the OP to say your setup is "all out" in my opinion and didnt hit his magic 650whp number. I bet the car is a riot to drive!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:57 PM
JFG Racing #1
Drifting

The car is a different beast now, not that it wasn't already. Lol. The drivability with that cam isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm very pleased on the way it drives. It just keeps pulling and pulling some more

For more power like someone mentioned is to build the bottom end. I'm not to familiar with E85 since we don't have it here in NJ readily available. Unless you buy 55 gallon drums from out of state. :-(

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Awesome setup. Besides the 102 vs. ported stock throttle body(maybe worth 5-10hp), thats about as "all out" as it gets, especially the cam...and you "only" made 610whp. I say "only" like its nothing, its a sick number. Just trying to point to the OP to say your setup is "all out" in my opinion and didnt hit his magic 650whp number. I bet the car is a riot to drive!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:24 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

(snip)

Tuned on 93 pump gas

What kind of dyno?
Are those numbers SAE-corrected, Std.-corrected or uncorrected?
At what rpm are the torque and power peaks?

On the OPs intent...if that's 650 at the wheels SAE-corrected, that works out to about 765 at the flywheel. That's going to be a really steep mountain to climb with a normally aspirated LS7, whether you use gasoline or E85.

My suggestion is that you use either dilitium crystals, liquid unobtanium or dark matter because they are likely the only things on which you're going to able to fuel a 765-hp NA LS7 which can be both street driven and be reliable/durable.

Now...if you are willing to put a blower on the motor, then, given a cam change, 765 is doable as long as you have really good charge air cooling and then, pray your cylinder liners don't bulge like Kim Kardashian's big ***.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 04-21-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
What kind of dyno?

On the OPs intent...if that's 650 at the wheels SAE-corrected, that works out to about 765 at the flywheel. That's going to be a really steep mountain to climb with a normally aspirated LS7, whether you use gasoline or E85.

My suggestion is that you use either dilitium crystals, liquid unobtanium or dark matter because they are likely the only things on which you're going to able to fuel a 765-hp NA LS7 which can be both street driven and be reliable/durable.

Now...if you are willing to put a blower on the motor, then, given a cam change, 765 is doable as long as you have really good charge air cooling and then, pray your cylinder liners don't bulge like Kim Kardashian's big ***.
Feelin a little glip, Hib??
Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 PM
JFG Racing #1
Drifting

Dynapack dyno

What kind of dyno?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

The car is a different beast now, not that it wasn't already. Lol. The drivability with that cam isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm very pleased on the way it drives. It just keeps pulling and pulling some more

For more power like someone mentioned is to build the bottom end. I'm not to familiar with E85 since we don't have it here in NJ readily available. Unless you buy 55 gallon drums from out of state. :-(
Tell us more about the driveability. When does it start to surge/buck in higher gears? Difficult to get it moving from a stop?

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06: Help me get to 650hp!

Old 04-22-2016, 10:13 AM
JFG Racing #1
Drifting

Just like any cam. Needs a little throttle to get it moving. When I first drove I thought I was going to stall it a few times until I got use to it. Not in this case at all. Havent stalled it yet. My sweet spot for not surging/bucking is 1600 to 1800 rpm In any gear besides 6th. So anything under that you can tell it needs more foot on gas. Lol

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Tell us more about the driveability. When does it start to surge/buck in higher gears? Difficult to get it moving from a stop?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Dynapack dyno
Not familiar with a Dynapack, but I see the numbers are SAE-corrected and they are impressive. You are at, say...715-720 at the flywheel.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Not familiar with a Dynapack, but I see the numbers are SAE-corrected and they are impressive. You are at, say...715-720 at the flywheel.
Is there really that much drive train loss on this car, Hib? I'm just asking, cause I don't know. I was figuring roughly 10%, but that's only based on a few 'stock' baseline dyno sheets I've paid attention to.

To anyone, is the dynopack the portable dyno that bolts to the hubs? And don't they tend to report a bit higher than a drum dyno? No tire loss??

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z06: Help me get to 650hp!