Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 scare - newbie looking for input from track guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:24 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

john_g_46 is a brilliant engineer.....its unfortunate that when he brought his theory up on this forum, members shut him out....typical Corvette Forum fashion.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If you are going to do a lot of track events don't do the normal $3K head job. Replace all of the valves with Ti/Mo valves (not cheap) while doing the bronze guides. That way you keep the rpm capability. It is hard to keep from hitting the rev limiter with this engine since it pulls quickly to 7K rpm.

Also switch to 15/50 Mobil 1 for your oil. GM recommends C7 trackers use that in the C7 engines. They only reason they don't call it out for running on the street is due to cat warranty issues (reduced cat life) and increased fuel consumption (see Ask Tadge).

Bill
Old 04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Livefast1098
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are going to do a lot of track events don't do the normal $3K head job. Replace all of the valves with Ti/Mo valves (not cheap) while doing the bronze guides. That way you keep the rpm capability. It is hard to keep from hitting the rev limiter with this engine since it pulls quickly to 7K rpm.

Also switch to 15/50 Mobil 1 for your oil. GM recommends C7 trackers use that in the C7 engines. They only reason they don't call it out for running on the street is due to cat warranty issues (reduced cat life) and increased fuel consumption (see Ask Tadge).

Bill
Thanks for the info Bill. But what about the reduced wear life of bronze guides (info from other contributors on this thread)? How often should I have them checked/replaced if I go this route?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Livefast1098
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LFZ
john_g_46 is a brilliant engineer.....its unfortunate that when he brought his theory up on this forum, members shut him out....typical Corvette Forum fashion.
But I'm yet too pure and uncorrupted by this forum to dismiss his advise!
Old 04-30-2016, 04:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
An evaluation enables informed decisions.
Precisely my point...you don't know, what you don't know. There's no harm in at least taking a closer look.

Originally Posted by LFZ
Agreed. Glad to see him back on here lately.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 PM
rprice
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
And to add to that, get a DD car that is the exact opposite the Z in every way possible. High off the ground, sluggish, a turd in terms of power, short-legged gears, etc. I'm thinking a lifted 4-banger Ford Ranger will do w/ large tires & a tall order of gears.

It helps enjoy the Z all the more when there is a strong contrast b/w the two and that will help you with "delayed gratification" when it comes to modding your car for MOAR POWER
My daily driver is a ford ranger 4 banger lol
Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

One thing not mentioned.....are you planning on running r compound tires or "street tires"
When you track. If you plan on pushing hard and are going to run r compound tires
Then you need to do a little more work.....not to the engine as much as the rest of the car.
This power train has the capacity to generate very high track speeds and you have to address it accordingly. But you may already be aware of all this........?.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Livefast1098
Intermediate

Originally Posted by olddragger
One thing not mentioned.....are you planning on running r compound tires or "street tires"
When you track. If you plan on pushing hard and are going to run r compound tires
Then you need to do a little more work.....not to the engine as much as the rest of the car.
This power train has the capacity to generate very high track speeds and you have to address it accordingly. But you may already be aware of all this........?.
Will be rolling on MPSC2. My immediate mods are as following (all are on order or arrived):
- Caravaggio Daytona seats
- Caravaggio D-shape sterring wheel
- Dot-4 brake fluid
- SS braided brake lines

Not planning on touching the motor for now (aside from head work if needed). Car has Z07 pkg so I figured I was covered in the "extra cooling" department.

Down the line mods would be:
- Set of track wheels/tires
- 6 point belts (not required for HPDE)
Blew budget sky-high with seats so these 2 will have to wait!!

Missing anything?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:52 PM
fizzer07
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefast1098
Will be rolling on MPSC2. My immediate mods are as following (all are on order or arrived):
- Dot-4 brake fluid
- SS braided brake lines

Not planning on touching the motor for now (aside from head work if needed). Car has Z07 pkg so I figured I was covered in the "extra cooling" department.

Missing anything?
I've been tracking my 45,000 mile 07 for 2 years so far, haven't touched the heads. I think I will though, I can't imagine the heartbreak and/or damage / injury a failure would bring on the track.
Problem is, if you're doing the guides, you may as well do some mods while the engine is apart and that adds up SOOO quickly! I'll start saving now.
Angelo
Old 05-01-2016, 04:36 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

- Dot-4 brake fluid
- SS braided brake lines

Missing anything?
Lots of reports on here of folks swapping out brake lines and winding up with leaks at the caliper. Maybe rethink that, or do a little more research. I swapped out the lines on my C5Z many years back, and opted for braided lines that eliminated the banjo fittings (and accompanying crush washers) at the caliper, so the line just threaded right into the caliper. Haven't looked to see if this is an option available for the C6Z...but that's the only way I would do it.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 05-01-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Livefast1098
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Lots of reports on here of folks swapping out brake lines and winding up with leaks at the caliper. Maybe rethink that, or do a little more research. I swapped out the lines on my C5Z many years back, and opted for braided lines that eliminated the banjo fittings (and accompanying crush washers) at the caliper, so the line just threaded right into the caliper. Haven't looked to see if this is an option available for the C6Z...but that's the only way I would do it.
I went with Russell Performance (bolt-on parts for C6, not diy kit) because there were no issues from reviews I read (Autoanything, Amazon). And having pros install them. Thanks for heads-up though, will have them double check the seal and I will also do periodic checks. Will keep factory hoses just in case.

Last edited by Livefast1098; 05-01-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

- Dot-4 brake fluid
- SS braided brake lines

Missing anything?
Cooling/oil system upgrades
My mods:
Ron Davis radiator
Sump extra oil mod
Sump baffle
Oil pan baffle
Ported oil pump

Brake/clutch
Hawk dt30 pads
Castrol SRF brakes/clutch

Last edited by Whis9; 05-01-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 scare - newbie looking for input from track guys