Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Longevity of OEM Muffler Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Longevity of OEM Muffler Repairs

For those of you who have had their OEM muffler baffles repaired, how long has the repair been in place and how well has it held up? Are your mufflers fully OEM or have they been modified? Any notes about how the repair was made (stick vs MIG vs TIG and any factors like preheating or post heating the welds). In my case, my Z06 is 8 years old and had the muffler mod about 4 years ago. Initially it sounded great, but recently, the exhaust note showed an annoying buzzing sound at various engine speeds. I plan to have it weld repaired soon.

For those of you who might ask, any reason not to just buy a new OEM muffler and install it? The answer is that would leave me with one modified side and one non-modified side, which is not a good solution in my opinion.

Alternatively, I could remove the OEM system and install a B&B Fusion 3" system, but that would cost really big bucks for a minimal performance improvement.

I would really like to repair my modified OEM system if I can affect a long term repair at a reasonable cost. Back to the original question, how long has the weld repair on your system held up, and how was it made?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06
For those of you who have had their OEM muffler baffles repaired, how long has the repair been in place and how well has it held up? Are your mufflers fully OEM or have they been modified? Any notes about how the repair was made (stick vs MIG vs TIG and any factors like preheating or post heating the welds). In my case, my Z06 is 8 years old and had the muffler mod about 4 years ago. Initially it sounded great, but recently, the exhaust note showed an annoying buzzing sound at various engine speeds. I plan to have it weld repaired soon.

For those of you who might ask, any reason not to just buy a new OEM muffler and install it? The answer is that would leave me with one modified side and one non-modified side, which is not a good solution in my opinion.

Alternatively, I could remove the OEM system and install a B&B Fusion 3" system, but that would cost really big bucks for a minimal performance improvement.

I would really like to repair my modified OEM system if I can affect a long term repair at a reasonable cost. Back to the original question, how long has the weld repair on your system held up, and how was it made?
You could do this mod while having any repairs cleaned up...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ffler-mod.html

Or you could be one of the first kids on the block with this new bi-mode exhaust system that is priced extremely well.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-exhaust.html
Old 04-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a shop perform the "Muffler Mod" on my cans shortly after taking delivery of my car in April of '09. 7 years and 40K miles later they are still working & sounding great with no signs of the welds cracking or rusting out.

U.M.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I put Z06 mufflers on my LS3 around 11K miles. They started minor noises in the 90K range and now at 131K it's getting annoying. I plan to remove and reweld, plus put bushings and new axles in the flaps. Hopefully I can get to 200K before the noise returns.

Good luck with your effort.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06

After having HCI installed, one of the cans, 4000 miles or so later, broke a baffle..... builder took it apart and welded it back. All is quiet 5000 miles later. I cannot tell you what kind of weld was made, just that it got fixed. He suggested not opening the other at that point since it was ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Longevity of OEM Muffler Repairs

Quick Reply: [Z06] Longevity of OEM Muffler Repairs