Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Getting heads fixed by AHP under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Getting heads fixed by AHP under warranty?

Well fellas a few months ago I picked up an 07 Z with 11k miles on it and love the car! When I picked up the car I got a warranty to go with it after knowing about the valve issue.

That being said, has anyone had the wiggle test done by a dealer, found them to be out of spec and then had their heads fixed by AHP and not just install another set of LS7 heads? I guess it may depend on the warranty company after all, just thinking about down the road before the warranty is up. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
Well fellas a few months ago I picked up an 07 Z with 11k miles on it and love the car! When I picked up the car I got a warranty to go with it after knowing about the valve issue.

That being said, has anyone had the wiggle test done by a dealer, found them to be out of spec and then had their heads fixed by AHP and not just install another set of LS7 heads? I guess it may depend on the warranty company after all, just thinking about down the road before the warranty is up. Thanks!
I had my heads done at AHP last year under my GMPP and there was no need to go to the dealer...I took the car straight to AHP because they are an authorized GMPP repair facility. I believe they work with other warranties as well, but give Kohle a call.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
LeManscoupe05
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm getting my heads replaced on my 2009 Z06, i purchased recently. I have an aftermarket warranty through Carmax. Abel Chevrolet is doing the repairs for me. I brought the car into the dealer and told them how "chatty" the engine sounds. tech looks at me and says its the heads. they didn't need to do the wiggle test, just the sound alone told them it needed to be done. and Carmax agreed. they will be replacing them today. good luck! hope you don't need to have yours replaced but it all depends on the warranty company. some are easy and some not so much. enjoy your new Z06.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Depends on the warranty company. I know Joe@CPR warranties out worn ls7 heads all the time.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I went through this exercise with my car - my issue was I had too many warranties.

The bottom line is, if it is still within the original, factory powertrain coverage period, I believe a factory dealer is your only option.

If you have GMPP or similar, you can (and should) take it to AHP.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
If you have GMPP or similar, you can (and should) take it to AHP.
I certainly agree! Big question really is if the warranty company will let me ship the heads to AHP to actually fix the problem or if they will only have a new set of LS7 heads put on. I'll dig into it more, thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I certainly agree! Big question really is if the warranty company will let me ship the heads to AHP to actually fix the problem or if they will only have a new set of LS7 heads put on. I'll dig into it more, thanks!
Like I said before, give Kohle a call. You may be able to find an authorized repair facility in your local area that can R&R the heads, but be authorized to ship to AHP for the rebuild. The local shop is just going to need to be well versed in demonstrating that the guides are worn beyond GM service limits to the warranty company...provided, they are in fact worn. Who is your warranty with?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

I'll definitely be giving him a call to learn more about his experience in workin with warranty companies. The warranty is with Warranty Solutions and spoke with the rep who the dealer works with at the warranty company, explained the LS7 valve issue and he said that 1) it would be covered and 2) I can take the car to any shop I want for warranty work, makes me think I can have the heads shipped out to AHP. We shall see!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Just got my car back from AHP. Kohle will work with you and the warranty co to get you what you want. The warranty will allow for X amount to repair what is wrong. You can then have that amount put towards having done whatever you want.
My warranty paid $2100. to fix my worn intake valve guides. I had Kohle port my heads do their stage 4 package, install a bigger cam and C5 r timing chain. All said and done my out of pocket was over 4500 for the complete job.
I'm a mechanic and could have done the R&R labor myself but I didnt feel like hassling with it so I drove the car out & left it in very capable hands.

Last edited by AzMotorhead; 05-01-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

21st in Dallas is an Authorized GMPP service shop
Old 05-03-2016, 08:02 AM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
21st in Dallas is an Authorized GMPP service shop
Anyone familiar with Midwest shops who work with gmpp&heads? In Illinois?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
Anyone familiar with Midwest shops who work with gmpp&heads? In Illinois?
Thanks
You might try calling your GMPP dealer and ask for a list, then investigate further with that. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting heads fixed by AHP under warranty?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Getting heads fixed by AHP under warranty?