Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Why does Chevy use transverse leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:40 PM
fizzer07
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why does Chevy use transverse leaf springs?

Stupid question:
Why does Chevrolet put transverse leaf springs in corvettes?
Pretty much everyone seems to think coil overs are a significant upgrade and my stock suspension can be downright scary at the track with the side to side pendulum effect.
I suppose they're lighter/ lower center of gravity, or cheaper? What gives?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Spartan07
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Saves weight and allows for a much wider tire to be used, in short.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:30 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzer07
Stupid question:
Why does Chevrolet put transverse leaf springs in corvettes?
Pretty much everyone seems to think coil overs are a significant upgrade and my stock suspension can be downright scary at the track with the side to side pendulum effect.
I suppose they're lighter/ lower center of gravity, or cheaper? What gives?
I agree about the sketchy handling on uneven surfaces.....I installedcoilovers and simply transformed the cars handling. Very predictable over bumps and surface changes.....the best mod to date on my car
Old 05-01-2016, 07:17 PM
Livefast1098
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Curious about this also. Just purchased a 2011 with magna ride. Will that improve track performance? Reduce the pendulum effect?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:09 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I'd say it's a combo cheap/proven design and has performed well.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yet the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky were designed using the C5 architecture and they went with coil over springs to save weight and money.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I'd say "cost savings" would be the least important on their list, if at all. I have to assume the construction of the composite spring must be more expensive than what a traditional coil spring that use less exotic materials and are produced in quanties reaching a million to one (or greater) as compared to the transverse spring.

The primary benefits are packaging and lower center of gravity, as well as reduced unsprung weight.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-01-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

A lot of info in this article

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...vers-vs-leafs/
Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I'd say "cost savings" would be the least important on their list, if at all. I have to assume the construction of the composite spring must be more expensive than what a traditional coil spring that use less exotic materials and are produced in quanties reaching a million to one (or greater) as compared to the transverse spring.

The primary benefits are packaging and lower center of gravity, as well as reduced unsprung weight.
Here is a photo of coil overs installed on a C5 Z06. As you can see, there is nothing that affects packaging and if there is a wheel/tire rub to the springs, you have serious problems.

How does the leaf spring reduce unsprung weight vs the coil overs. Using the MTI Racing Penske Coil overs...."Utilizing an inverted mounting scheme our coilovers decrease your cars unsprung weight by placing the majority of the shocks mass on the chassis rather than the lower control arms."

The leafs weigh around 7.5 pounds each, so that would mean the actual coil springs would have to weigh over 4 pounds each. Doubtful. The C6 Z06 shocks and springs weigh a total of 35.5 pounds whereas the LG Motorsports coil over shocks weigh a total of 30.5 pounds, a savings of 5 pounds.

Also, raising the 4 pounds at each corner approximately 8-9 inches is going to raise the Center of gravity how much? 1/32" maybe?

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-01-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:16 PM
fizzer07
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Good stuff, that's what I was looking for!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Here is a photo of coil overs installed on a C5 Z06. As you can see, there is nothing that affects packaging and if there is a wheel/tire rub to the springs, you have serious problems.

How does the leaf spring reduce unsprung weight vs the coil overs. Using the MTI Racing Penske Coil overs...."Utilizing an inverted mounting scheme our coilovers decrease your cars unsprung weight by placing the majority of the shocks mass on the chassis rather than the lower control arms."

The leafs weigh around 7.5 pounds each, so that would mean the actual coil springs would have to weigh over 4 pounds each. Doubtful. The C6 Z06 shocks and springs weigh a total of 35.5 pounds whereas the LG Motorsports coil over shocks weigh a total of 30.5 pounds, a savings of 5 pounds.

Also, raising the 4 pounds at each corner approximately 8-9 inches is going to raise the Center of gravity how much? 1/32" maybe?
You are making some assumptions, not the least of which is that I am "anti-coilover". Nothing could be further from the truth - I had CO's on my C5 FRC, and will have them on my CE (I am current working with a vendor on a custom solution).

The OP asked "why did GM select a traverse spring", and if you look at the article you posted after my post, you'll see my responses were on target.

Additionally, when it cones to un-sprung weight, you do realize only a portion of the stock spring is exposed as un-sprung, the rest is supported by the subframe? And on the packaging point, you realize the aftermarket is "cheating" in that they are using the shock mount to take the full sprung load (yes, I've seen Lou's video) which an OEM would not do - they would build a real spring perch, which would screw with the body lines (packaging).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-02-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Allow me, as an ex-Ford guy, one smartass comment. Since the original 260 (later 289) Cobras came out with transverse leafs in 1962, the '63 Corvette just had to replicate them.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:27 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan07
Saves weight and allows for a much wider tire to be used, in short.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carpe dm

As I previously pointed out, the LG Motorsports coil over shocks weigh 5 pounds LESS than the stock shocks and springs.

Also the coil overs do not restrict, in any way, the width of tire that can be used.

Don't confuse a coil over shock with MacPherson struts, or the huge coil springs used on the rear axle of a pickup truck.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-03-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 AM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

As pointed out previously replacing the shocks with coil overs and eliminating the leaf spring may seam to be a huge improvement. However it is more the quality and valving of the shock absorber itself and nothing to do with the springs. Any springs job is to support the weight of the vehicle and the shocks job is to dampen and control suspension and body movement. Agreed also the stock shock mounts were not designed to support the weight of the vehicle.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRCLONE
As pointed out previously replacing the shocks with coil overs and eliminating the leaf spring may seam to be a huge improvement. However it is more the quality and valving of the shock absorber itself and nothing to do with the springs. Any springs job is to support the weight of the vehicle and the shocks job is to dampen and control suspension and body movement. Agreed also the stock shock mounts were not designed to support the weight of the vehicle.
Not designed for it, but indeed strong enough.

The following users liked this post:
Ghost Knight (03-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

That was a great demonstration of the coil-overs strength and durability. Video still made me cringe!

Get notified of new replies

To Why does Chevy use transverse leaf springs?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,136 Likes on 593 Posts

Yet the Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky were designed using the C5 architecture and they went with coil over springs to save weight and money.
Please, post how much weight was saved by going to coil springs on those cars.

Also the Pontiac Solstics/SaturnSky/Opel GT did not use "C5 architecture" at least not in the sense that suspension and chassis parts from the C5 were used on those cars. They used a platform called "Kappa" and while the Kappa platform may have been inspired by the C5/C6 there were no common major parts.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
That was a great demonstration of the coil-overs strength and durability. Video still made me cringe!
Well, technically, it was made to demonstrate how strong the aluminum frame / shock uprights were, and how they could be trusted to take the load during a large impact.

Of secondary importance was to show how LG's design would not "punch through" the shock bushing opening, since they are using a large, flat load-bearing surface (impossible for it to fit through the shock bushing hole, unlike a competitors product).
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Please, post how much weight was saved by going to coil springs on those cars.

Also the Pontiac Solstics/SaturnSky/Opel GT did not use "C5 architecture" at least not in the sense that suspension and chassis parts from the C5 were used on those cars. They used a platform called "Kappa" and while the Kappa platform may have been inspired by the C5/C6 there were no common major parts.
The four stock shocks and the two stock springs weigh a total of 35.5 pounds. The four LG Motorsports coil overs weigh a total of 30.5 pounds. That is a weight savings of 5 pounds, as I said in an earlier post.

Yes, the Kappa is based on the C5 architecture. One definition of Architecture...."having or conceived of as having a single unified overall design, form, or structure". I did not state that they were the same platform. The parts do not have to directly interchange to have the same architecture, nor even the same platform.. Just as the C6 is also based on the C5 architecture(design), and none of those parts(frame, suspension, etc) interchange.

As for interchangeability of major parts, which you apparently think defines "architecture", and "platform", you must know that the Corvette is a Y platform and has been since 1997. Tell me, what parts are interchangeable between a Y platform C7 and a Y platform C5?

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-04-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why does Chevy use transverse leaf springs?