Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] car stalled then battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Default car stalled then battery dead

I have a situation I want to see what y'all think.

I have a '08 z06 and replaced the battery after 8 years just because last year. It's never had a battery issue. So 1 yr into the new one, I went to the store with my son and got distracted and when I was about to turn her off, I popped the clutch and stalled her. Didn't think much of it, done it before, no big deal... Got out, went to shop. Tried to lock her with the fob but she didn't honk at me so I figured she was upset. But as I had nothing inside to steal, just went inside. Was there for over an hour. It was hot outside.

So I come out and she's dead.

got a jump, charged the battery once home - not very discharged... Hum??
On the way home, volts only in the mid 13's. Usually 14-14.5

Had it load tested. It's fine.

Drove it twice since, seems fine.

My theory is I actually left it ON for over an hour and it was hot so it was running the radiator fan and what not. That is, I stalled it with the clutch drop, so it never really shut off. So after an hour of sitting and maybe running the cooling fan, the battery was down.

Does this make sense? And if so, please beware of this if you read this and get my jist.

So next time I do a silly thing like drop the clutch before turning her off, I'll maybe restart and then shut down correctly.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

check the ground cable at the starter...there have been several CF reports of the same corroding (from heat) at the starter terminal,
which could cause intermittent starting...and time to have the alternator tested as well.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 PM
80atez
Pro

I assume the ground is the one with the exposed fine copper threads visible? That and the other cable (pos term?) both look like new and are tight. Thanks.

So you don't buy my theory that it was "left on"?
Old 05-25-2016, 11:19 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

it's certainly possible, but I just don't know...if the battery was only slightly discharged the starter should have been working, even at a slower speed ?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

The BCM has algorithms to protect the battery against the scenario you described, so no, I would not assume the issue was you walking away from the car and it "stayed on".
Old 05-26-2016, 12:25 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
The BCM has algorithms to protect the battery against the scenario you described, so no, I would not assume the issue was you walking away from the car and it "stayed on".
Ive left the accessory on befote and it drained the battery. I found out the hard way that if you turn acc on, to roll down windows for example, the quickly try to turn acc back off.... it wont. You have to wait for gauges to go through all their sweeps, etc, before you can actually turn acc off.

Anyone else agree?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Ive left the accessory on before and it drained the battery. I found out the hard way that if you turn acc on, to roll down windows for example, the quickly try to turn acc back off.... it wont. You have to wait for gauges to go through all their sweeps, etc, before you can actually turn acc off. The acc will STAY on draining battery.

Anyone else agree?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

In your case(OP that is), unless you pushed the off button after stalling, the car was still 100% on(ignition on mode), just the engine wasnt running. I believe in "ignition on" mode that the battery protection that is present(should be present) in "accessory on" mode, isnt present. I bet while you were gone the car was flashing "fob not detected" or something like that as you walked far enough away. However the car wont shut itself off(as you found out). Same as if you let the car idle and walked far enough away that your key was out of range.

You can force the car into "ignition on" mode for holding the start button down for 10 seconds without the clutch(or is it hold accessory down for 10 seconds). This is also the mode you need to get into if you ever need to "pop start" the car.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:59 PM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Went shopping at Lowe's and before I got out of the car I turned the ignition on to crack a window open and forgot to turn it back off. When I came back to the car an hour later, I had this message:

BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE
This message displays when the vehicle has detected that the battery voltage is dropping beyond a reasonable point. The battery saver
system starts reducing certain features of the vehicle that you may be able to notice. At the point that features are disabled, this message
is displayed. It means that the vehicle is trying to save the charge in the battery. Turn off unnecessary
accessories to allow the battery to recharge.

Everything started back up fine, but I learned a lesson!

Last edited by CrystalRedZ07; 05-26-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Javvy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im with ratomicZ06, I turned the acc on at a show on Sunday and left it on.
Car was so flat it wouldn't turn over but I could hear it clicking and trying.
Got the guys to push start me, it kicked off straight away, no probs since.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:39 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by CrystalRedZ07
Went shopping at Lowe's and before I got out of the car I turned the ignition on to crack a window open and forgot to turn it back off. When I came back to the car an hour later, I had this message:

BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE
This message displays when the vehicle has detected that the battery voltage is dropping beyond a reasonable point. The battery saver
system starts reducing certain features of the vehicle that you may be able to notice. At the point that features are disabled, this message
is displayed. It means that the vehicle is trying to save the charge in the battery. Turn off unnecessary
accessories to allow the battery to recharge.

Everything started back up fine, but I learned a lesson!
Hmmmm.... never saw that message. Wonder if diff years the programming was different? Im an 07.

Also.... i find it "difficult" to get the ign mode off. Even if i wait until it gets thru the boot up sequence i have to press the start button down multiple times to get it totally shut down.

I find myself doing this alot bc i want the windows up or down so i need to turn ign on in order to do that, iow......just reaching in the car, hit the ign button up, roll up/down windows, wait for boot up cycle (takes 10 - 15 seconds), turn ign off.
It doesnt always turn off!

Ever since i killed battery that one time im real careful now. (I also changed all the bulbs to leds).
Old 05-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Ive left the accessory on befote and it drained the battery. I found out the hard way that if you turn acc on, to roll down windows for example, the quickly try to turn acc back off.... it wont. You have to wait for gauges to go through all their sweeps, etc, before you can actually turn acc off.

Anyone else agree?
Well, I won't profess to have tested every single scenario, so I can't challenge your assertions. And to your point, it is possible GM may have refined the code over the years (I have an '11).

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-27-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Ive left the accessory on before and it drained the battery. I found out the hard way that if you turn acc on, to roll down windows for example, the quickly try to turn acc back off.... it wont. You have to wait for gauges to go through all their sweeps, etc, before you can actually turn acc off. The acc will STAY on draining battery.

Anyone else agree?
Try this next time - press the lower part of the Start button and it should go into ACC mode (amber light on), hit the Start button again and it should go into RAP mode (red light on). Roll down/up your windows and then open the door. Everything should then shut down without having to hit the Start button to shut down.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:06 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Try this next time - press the lower part of the Start button and it should go into ACC mode (amber light on), hit the Start button again and it should go into RAP mode (red light on). Roll down/up your windows and then open the door. Everything should then shut down without having to hit the Start button to shut down.
I will, thanks. Pain inthe *** way ive been doing it.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 PM
80atez
Pro

Totally old thread, but I thank everyone who posted. I sort of forgot I started it..

The battery I had was new, and since that event in the spring, it is working fine. No issues at all.

So I assume the above posts were correct that stated that I had not shut the car down and it sat "on" for an hour in the heat. That was enough to drain it down, I suppose.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 80atez
Totally old thread, but I thank everyone who posted. I sort of forgot I started it..

The battery I had was new, and since that event in the spring, it is working fine. No issues at all.

So I assume the above posts were correct that stated that I had not shut the car down and it sat "on" for an hour in the heat. That was enough to drain it down, I suppose.
Thanks for resurrecting it, I learned something.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:15 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 80atez
I have a situation I want to see what y'all think.

I have a '08 z06 and replaced the battery after 8 years just because last year. It's never had a battery issue. So 1 yr into the new one, I went to the store with my son and got distracted and when I was about to turn her off, I popped the clutch and stalled her. Didn't think much of it, done it before, no big deal... Got out, went to shop. Tried to lock her with the fob but she didn't honk at me so I figured she was upset. But as I had nothing inside to steal, just went inside. Was there for over an hour. It was hot outside.

So I come out and she's dead.

got a jump, charged the battery once home - not very discharged... Hum??
On the way home, volts only in the mid 13's. Usually 14-14.5

Had it load tested. It's fine.

Drove it twice since, seems fine.

My theory is I actually left it ON for over an hour and it was hot so it was running the radiator fan and what not. That is, I stalled it with the clutch drop, so it never really shut off. So after an hour of sitting and maybe running the cooling fan, the battery was down.

Does this make sense? And if so, please beware of this if you read this and get my jist.

So next time I do a silly thing like drop the clutch before turning her off, I'll maybe restart and then shut down correctly.
Wrong time of the month..too hot outside and leaving her alone for an hour after shutting her down like that. Yes, do fire her back up and give her some juice after killin' it.

Get notified of new replies

To car stalled then battery dead

Quick Reply: [Z06] car stalled then battery dead