Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 z06 to gs or c7 ???? Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:26 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default C6 z06 to gs or c7 ???? Opinions

Okay so long story short I purchased a c6 z06 yellow, it was my baby. It's started having issues so now I am car shopping again. I really liked and enjoyed it but IDK if i want another LS7 i love the engine and car but now I need to figure out what i want. I found some GS with 10k miles for 40k and
I found two c7 z51 blue and yellow for 55k 8k miles.

I pretty much have the option to pick another car without taking a hit over my prior finances or down payment.

This was my Z <br/><br/>

This is what I'm looking at
Old 05-26-2016, 07:03 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Talk about 1st world problems! Its quite simple, the C7 will be $15k more car easily will feel complete out of the box. At the price point its at I still consider it a bargin even with C6s being as cheap as they are today. The GS is a fantastic platform from which you cam inprove upon (seats being one of them) but is an 11 year old deaign and can feel that way next to the latest and greatest.

Ive had plenty of seat time in C5s and C6s - 8 corvettes so far in 10 years
Old 05-26-2016, 07:11 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

Tell me about it lol, at least aside from the headache it's a good problem to have. I'm not to concerned about money it's more along the lines of will the c7 hold value like the c6 Z06 or GS and will I miss my Z. Hopefully I can figure things out quick so I can order one already. The other thing that has me leaning toward a c7 is the fact that I will pretty much break the car in and can take care of it as I please and keep it reliable, if i get an older one I will want to start modding the crap out of it.

DANG 8 lol hopefully I'll be there one day, Im only 25 and I'd like to have a c6 c7 and 63 or 64 vette along with some other rides on the bucket list.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

That C7 in yellow is pretty spectacular. Interestingly I have not yet been able to instantly recognize a wide body vs non wide body C7. Just haven't paid enough attention I guess.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

Im torn between the yellow on and this white one, both have the competition bucket seats

Last edited by RGHIIZ06; 05-26-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:56 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

As much as I hate to admit it, I creep in the c7 forum occasionally lol, you might check out the c7 grand sport as it's release has so many pissed off because they bought a base or Z51, they didn't want the Z06. There might be some good deals for used, just a thought.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
That C7 in yellow is pretty spectacular. Interestingly I have not yet been able to instantly recognize a wide body vs non wide body C7. Just haven't paid enough attention I guess.
yeah not a lot of people can spot the difference, you have to look for it just like the c6. What gives the c7 wide body away for me is the rear side brake duct intakes and the huge wing.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

yeah thats the one of the downside I liked having wide rears and that side scoop looks nice but, then again I could just get some nice wheels and call it a day with a c7 and not be as tempted to modify it.

good idea PSP6158!!

DKZ isn't that the truth, it drives me nuts because I'm so picky about cars but i try to not over react and the I explain the differences.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:54 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If it were me I'd keep your Z06 and fix what needs to be fixed or I'd sell it and buy another C6 Z06 newer lower miles. GS and C7 wouldn't even make it onto my list of cars to own.
The following 3 users liked this post by NVNO1:
LFZ (05-27-2016), REDZED2 (06-01-2016), Z2Z (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by NVNO1
If it were me I'd keep your Z06 and fix what needs to be fixed or I'd sell it and buy another C6 Z06 newer lower miles. GS and C7 wouldn't even make it onto my list of cars to own.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:07 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I too was thinking about the c7 but I remembered how I was concerned about the longevity
Of some of the cars systems. The e diff, the cylinder deactivation and the intake valve deposits from direct injection made me pause.
I drove one , it was smaller inside, the performance was definitely not a zo6 and I think the value is not going to hold.
Keeping my very special zo6
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 AM
UnOvertime
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I HAD to choose between those two, I would go with the c7 just for the interior alone. The interior of my c6z is the only thing I dislike. Yes you can spend money to change it, but the c7 just has the feel of what it should actually be inside the cabin.

However I would keep the c6z especially if you know what the issue is and can get it fixed. I drove the c6z and c7 numerous times before I bought mine and the performance of the c6z was just so much better. I am also on the fence about how the design of the c7 will hold up in a few years. I'm not sure if I like the look or hate it, changes by the day. That yellow and the laguna blue are the only color c7's I would even consider.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by NVNO1

But OP, I'm not you......and by asking this question you are clearly not a z guy, but just a corvette guy. So buy the c7 base.

Last edited by reasonable suspicion; 05-27-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:06 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RGHIIZ06
Tell me about it lol, at least aside from the headache it's a good problem to have. I'm not to concerned about money it's more along the lines of will the c7 hold value like the c6 Z06 or GS and will I miss my Z. Hopefully I can figure things out quick so I can order one already. The other thing that has me leaning toward a c7 is the fact that I will pretty much break the car in and can take care of it as I please and keep it reliable, if i get an older one I will want to start modding the crap out of it.

DANG 8 lol hopefully I'll be there one day, Im only 25 and I'd like to have a c6 c7 and 63 or 64 vette along with some other rides on the bucket list.
No, it won't hold it's value like the C6Z and GS. The C6Z, particularly yours, is probably 80% depreciated (or perhaps even 90%). The GS will still depreciate quite a bit. I figure these will bottom out a few thousand dollars below a C6Z. The C7 still has $20-30K to lose in value before it slows down considerably. One thing I have notice that is fairly consistent between C5/C6/C7's is that after 6-8 years, the base models seem to fall into the $20-30K range, with the super low mileage ones closer to $30K and the typical mileage (still low) around $20-25K. As much as it pains C7 owners to realize this - one day in the foreseeable future their cars will be going for less than $30K...

Honestly, if I were concerned about losing money on a car purchase, I'd have to say that the best time to buy a "new to you" Corvette is to buy the previous generation, early year models in that generation when the newest generation has been in production for about 18-24 months, in which case, you should do nothing because that is exactly what you already have. Just get a short throw shifter w/ one of those fancy weighted shift *****, get some headers and CAI and fix the heads using AHP's cheapest option and you'll probably fall in love with the car all over again and you won't hurt the resale-ability of the car with those mods. I bet many would likely prefer those mods.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 05-27-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:26 AM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RGHIIZ06
I found two c7 z51 blue and yellow for 55k 8k miles.
Write down the VIN numbers of the two C7's. Go to a GM dealer service department in the early afternoon when things are slow and ask if they could run the VIN's for warranty repair history. Your going to be shocked at how many issues they had to go back to the dealer for. You think your C6 has issues, you have not seen anything yet!

Last edited by grcor; 05-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 846 Posts

Personally I only go Z06 to Z06. I had a C5 Z06 and now I have a C6 Z06. When the C7 Z06's are about 4-5 years old I will start looking into getting one of those. While I admit the C7 GS looks amazing, I want a top of list performance.

Note: I would have loved to get a C6 ZR1 but they have just been too far out of grasp of what I consider a reasonably priced daily driver.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 05-27-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:34 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

UPDATE:

Thanks for the input everyone, I had a rough night lol couldn't sleep because i KEPT thinking about MY VETTE. I decided that I'm going to completely rule out the C7 reasons being 1. at the end of the day IN MY OPINION it's just a base vette that's redesigned and in a couple years will be a lot cheaper, 2. All the Issues they seem to be having, did a little research "ALLDATA" 3. at the end of the day Im still a gear head and will want to modify the car so I can't justify spending 15k more than I originally spent on a car I'm still going to want to dump more money in.

As of right now The "Finalist" are a black 2013 GS with 5k miles @ 45k$, red 2010 z06 35k @ 45k$, and a silver 2013 GS 15k miles @ 41k$. The Jet blue Z06 i was looking at sold

To everyone I didn't reply I did read your post and thanks for your help and input, all things stated were taken into account price, performance, depreciation, C7 reliability and problems, and even the fact that I am just a "VETTE GUY" lol

Thanks and once I order and get my new one I'll post some pictures on here!!

Last edited by RGHIIZ06; 05-27-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 z06 to gs or c7 ???? Opinions

Old 05-27-2016, 05:49 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
No, it won't hold it's value like the C6Z and GS. The C6Z, particularly yours, is probably 80% depreciated (or perhaps even 90%). The GS will still depreciate quite a bit. I figure these will bottom out a few thousand dollars below a C6Z. The C7 still has $20-30K to lose in value before it slows down considerably. One thing I have notice that is fairly consistent between C5/C6/C7's is that after 6-8 years, the base models seem to fall into the $20-30K range, with the super low mileage ones closer to $30K and the typical mileage (still low) around $20-25K. As much as it pains C7 owners to realize this - one day in the foreseeable future their cars will be going for less than $30K...

Honestly, if I were concerned about losing money on a car purchase, I'd have to say that the best time to buy a "new to you" Corvette is to buy the previous generation, early year models in that generation when the newest generation has been in production for about 18-24 months, in which case, you should do nothing because that is exactly what you already have. Just get a short throw shifter w/ one of those fancy weighted shift *****, get some headers and CAI and fix the heads using AHP's cheapest option and you'll probably fall in love with the car all over again and you won't hurt the resale-ability of the car with those mods. I bet many would likely prefer those mods.
I realized that even though value was important overall I didn't plan to sell whatever car I end up with. It's ironic because I had money saved up for those mods lol... I already had a quote for LG headers, WCCH, and the front spliter, I was just waiting on getting my car back but then things escalated. I think no matter which of the cars I pick that I listed right before this quote I'll be happy because it has the traditional Vette look and both have a good balance of performance, looks, and after market availability.

Thanks for you feedback !
Old 05-27-2016, 05:55 PM
RGHIIZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Personally I only go Z06 to Z06. I had a C5 Z06 and now I have a C6 Z06. When the C7 Z06's are about 4-5 years old I will start looking into getting one of those. While I admit the C7 GS looks amazing, I want a top of list performance.

Note: I would have loved to get a C6 ZR1 but they have just been too far out of grasp of what I consider a reasonably priced daily driver.
That's actually "THE VETTE" I like my favorite period. I think that car has the whole package but I need to wait a few more years and pay of the current car I have/get.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:54 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

There is only one chance to get a NA 427 motor in an ultralight aluminum chassis car with carbon fiber body and it is the C6Z06. That opportunity will never happen again. Think about that. Why buy a steel chassis, plastic bodied GS with OK motor when you can get the real deal at a steal.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 z06 to gs or c7 ???? Opinions