Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Delrin Bushings anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 03:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Old Thead, but I did the Borg Delrin/Teflon about 2 years ago. Have ~6k miles, and zero issues. Work great.
The following 4 users liked this post by Unreal:
Bad_AX (10-23-2021), Borg Motorsports (09-30-2021), miami993c297 (09-26-2021), v8sten (09-30-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 10:52 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Old 09-27-2021, 12:23 PM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Did the Borg bushings, very good upgrade and no noise.
The following users liked this post:
Borg Motorsports (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:26 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 134 Posts

This is awesome info.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the great feedback @Unreal and @shane p , glad you like them!
Old 10-21-2021, 05:01 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Maybe a dumb Q, but what's the "gain" by going for the premium Teflon infused Delrin bushings vs. the standard Delrin bushings? For ~50% more cost, what am I getting? Conversely, by going for the cheaper versions, what would I be sacrificing or giving up? What difference would the average person notice? Performance difference? Longevity?

Looking at upgrading my Z06 for street + track duty, just weighing the options! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:04 PM
Corvette_1307
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Teflon version helps with squeaking and are some what self lubricating. I have the Teflon version and my right rear squeaks but not bad, Doug has said for me to contact him on the issue, so customer service is excellent, im just slow....lol

Both versions will feel the same, Give Borg a call he can explain more in detail. You will not regret installing these.

Tony
Old 10-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Maybe a dumb Q, but what's the "gain" by going for the premium Teflon infused Delrin bushings vs. the standard Delrin bushings? For ~50% more cost, what am I getting? Conversely, by going for the cheaper versions, what would I be sacrificing or giving up? What difference would the average person notice? Performance difference? Longevity?

Looking at upgrading my Z06 for street + track duty, just weighing the options! Thanks!
Not a dumb question at all. That's easily the most common question I get. Delrin AF was specifically designed by Du Pont for the US Navy as a material for bushings and sliding surfaces in corrosive environments. Because of this, pretty much every property is at least slightly better than regular Delrin in a bushing application and it is the best non-metallic option out there. That said, a lot of these differences are small. Compared to standard Delrin, Delrin AF is a little bit stiffer in compression, a little bit stronger, and a little bit lower friction (mainly as the initial static friction, not so much the kinematic friction once moving). There are two major differences between the two materials, specifically Delrin AF is self-lubricating (Delrin is not) and it has significantly higher fatigue strength than standard Delrin.

The better fatigue properties of Delrin AF mean you should get better longevity out of the Premium kit than the Standard kit. So far, no customer has had longevity issues that I know from the bushings wearing out. There have certainly been customers that have needed replacement, but fire isn't your typical wear cycle. The prototype kit on my personal car is now seven years old and hasn't had any issues. That said, I don't know of any with the Standard kit either so both may meet your expectations for longevity.

The self-lubricating properties of Delrin AF mean that it needs no lubrication or maintenance. Standard Delrin sometimes doesn't need lubrication, especially at first, but over time might need an annual grease application to maintain the low friction of the material. Being self-lubricating means that the material won't degrade in frictional performance or surface wear over time compared to the normal material. That's not to say that standard Delrin isn't low friction, it is, it just means that over time you may need see more wear and/or high friction levels without lubrication.

I usually sum things up for customers by saying that you should go with the Premium Kit if you:
  • Want the best of the best for your car (even if the last little bit is expensive/difficult)
  • Are racing competitively and want the last bit of advantage you can get out of your bushings
  • Don't want to risk potentially needing to grease the bushings in the future
If none of those apply to you, the Standard Kit is what I would recommend.

Let me know if that helps.
The following users liked this post:
Cap'n Pete (10-23-2021)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Delrin Bushings anyone?