Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Delrin Bushings anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:34 PM
kratos2250
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delrin Bushings anyone?

I've been researching this mod for a few days now and decided to do my own post after not getting the information I'm looking for. I see a few people going with the poly bushings for their control arms but want something more stiff without much flex. That seems to be what people are after when doing this upgrade anyway. My car is a 09 Z06 and I do mostly street driving but go to the track every once in awhile, it's not my daily driver. I however don't want my car riding like crap either, I can sacrifice some driveability for performance though. Anyone here running delrin and care to give me your opinion? Looks like I can get a nice set from Ridetech for about $900.

Last edited by kratos2250; 05-29-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I think the Derlin option is appropriate for a race or dedicated track car - for a street car that will see some miles, not so much.

I think you should stick with the stiffer rubber / poly options.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-30-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would talk with LG.

My opinion is stay stock, or go ***** out and do the monoballs.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 AM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does Delrin squeak like poly bushings do?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
Does Delrin squeak like poly bushings do?
My Wife's car has them and they don't squeak. Ride is fine. Made the car much more predictable and easier to drive quickly. Before I went with Delrin I it had new GM rubber bushings and I felt they weren't optimal for track use.
The following users liked this post:
v8sten (09-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I think the Derlin option is appropriate for a race or dedicated track car - for a street car that will see some miles, not so much.
I think you should stick with the stiffer rubber / poly options.
Been there.........
v8sten (09-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2016, 05:00 PM
kratos2250
Advanced

Originally Posted by Racingswh
My Wife's car has them and they don't squeak. Ride is fine. Made the car much more predictable and easier to drive quickly. Before I went with Delrin I it had new GM rubber bushings and I felt they weren't optimal for track use.
Hmm. so the ride is fine, this is what I was thinking. I was reading somewhere that you could feel every rock in the road with delrin, but I want something that's good and don't feel like breaking the pocketbook on them. A set of delrin from Ridetech is $900 and the poly setup from Pfadt is $579.
Originally Posted by carpe dm
Been there.........
So you switched out your delrin bushings for something else?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Do Delrin, used it over several cars when doing bushing upgrades. My only complain is always the ****ing noise the poly bushing replacements make..

Never had an issue with the Delrin stuff.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by kratos2250
Hmm. so the ride is fine, this is what I was thinking. I was reading somewhere that you could feel every rock in the road with delrin, but I want something that's good and don't feel like breaking the pocketbook on them. A set of delrin from Ridetech is $900 and the poly setup from Pfadt is $579.
In my experience ride quality is dictated by springs and dampers. There is no clanking or squeaking from the delrin.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:19 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
In my experience ride quality is dictated by springs and dampers. There is no clanking or squeaking from the delrin.
LOL
Don't mention the fact that you can feel when you run over a match stick.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:03 AM
kratos2250
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll do delrin.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 AM
RenoC6Z06
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel there are no negatives to running delrin bushings and the people that say there are don't have them.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:01 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll do delrin.

You may feel a little more NVH, but not feel any difference in ride quality. Delrin will allow the suspension to move freely, but not stiffen the overall ride. I think a lot of people thinks it rides rougher due to the added NVH felt. I run them in my daily driver and can tell you that it didn't make the ride harsher, but I do feel a little more in the steering wheel. We run a Teflon infused Delrin so that they allow for free movement and no maintenance. Feel free to give me a call @ 812-481-4742 if you have any questions about Delrin.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rodney@ridetech:
GoJuice505 (04-16-2020), v8sten (09-30-2021)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:03 AM
kratos2250
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rodney@ridetech
You may feel a little more NVH, but not feel any difference in ride quality. Delrin will allow the suspension to move freely, but not stiffen the overall ride. I think a lot of people thinks it rides rougher due to the added NVH felt. I run them in my daily driver and can tell you that it didn't make the ride harsher, but I do feel a little more in the steering wheel. We run a Teflon infused Delrin so that they allow for free movement and no maintenance. Feel free to give me a call @ 812-481-4742 if you have any questions about Delrin.
Thanks Rodney, I'll be giving you a call soon.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:25 PM
vamvaketis
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just the thread I was looking for. I already bit the bullet and purchased a Delrin bushing kit for my 2002 Z06. My budget suspension upgrade approach included the Delrin kit plus the DRM Bilstein shocks. My purpose is to improve handling and to have a more track-ready car when I go to the track a few times each year. I don't mind sacrificing some ride comfort or noise for less body sway and improved cornering. It's all about form following function IMO.

Besides, I don't have a wife to contend with for getting into the car. My GF doesn't know what she's in for as the car has been on a rack since we met 3 weeks ago. It's now off the rack and ready to rumble!

Ride on fellow Corvettes!
Old 09-15-2021, 05:35 PM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vamvaketis
Just the thread I was looking for. I already bit the bullet and purchased a Delrin bushing kit for my 2002 Z06. My budget suspension upgrade approach included the Delrin kit plus the DRM Bilstein shocks. My purpose is to improve handling and to have a more track-ready car when I go to the track a few times each year. I don't mind sacrificing some ride comfort or noise for less body sway and improved cornering. It's all about form following function IMO.

Besides, I don't have a wife to contend with for getting into the car. My GF doesn't know what she's in for as the car has been on a rack since we met 3 weeks ago. It's now off the rack and ready to rumble!

Ride on fellow Corvettes!
Borg Motorsports Delrin bushings:
Attached Files
File Type: mov
My Movie Forums MOV.mov (19.76 MB, 105 views)
Borg Motorsports (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

So you switched out your delrin bushings for something else?
Delrin is a lot more expensive than poly, but especially so when it's Delrin AF Blend, which is the Teflon infused Delrin. To help offer a more budget-conscious option, we offer a regular Delrin kit as well. It also does not squeak like poly. The advantages of the Teflon impregnated Delrin are that it is self-lubricating, slightly stiffer, slightly stronger, and slightly lower in friction than standard Delrin. Unfortunately, it does come with a substantial price increase in the material.

We use real Delrin (acetal homopolymer) as opposed to the more generic acetal resin (acetal copolymer). The homopolymer is significantly stronger, stiffer, and has a much better wear resistance than the copolymer. It's a little more expensive as a material than the copolymer and is slightly harder to find. It's more difficult to manufacture as a material and sometimes has voids in the center that you need to watch out for. These are easy to see once the material is machined and those parts can be scrapped. It adds to the cost of our kits, but I feel that it results in a substantially and objectively better end product for our customers. Both our Teflon impregnated (Premium) kits and our standard Delrin kits use Delrin homopolymer. The Premium kits also use Teflon fiber impregnated material as opposed to the Teflon powder material which can be a little weaker and a little less durable than the fiber version.

For reference on prices, our Standard Kit is currently $829 for the C6 Z06 and the Premium Kit is $1249, (follow the links to see pictures, more details, and reviews). Make sure to look at prices for the C6 Z06/ZR1 kits (from any manufacturer) since the higher-end C6's have aluminum frames and require different rear upper control arm mounts that are more machining intensive. The steel frame kits are much simpler and are therefore cheaper.

In full disclosure, we are out for another week due to some shop vacation and business travel but will be back shipping products on 9/29. I do have all the parts needed for a C6Z Premium kit but would need a few days to manufacture a Standard kit. If you have any questions, feel free to DM or email at lane@borgmotorsports.com.

Lane Borg - Owner
lane@borgmotorsports.com
2012 AS Solo National Champion
2014 BS ProSolo and Solo National Champion
The following 2 users liked this post by Borg Motorsports:
Tusc (04-26-2022), v8sten (09-30-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Delrin Bushings anyone?

Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 AM
Corvette_1307
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Update to a post below,
I now have many road miles on the kit, and it is not harsh at all. The car is much nicer to drive and predictable if you like to have fun on the back roads. I have recently noticed a squeak on the right rear, so maybe Lane can advise on that, but it is not annoying.

Posted on 3/31/2021
I’ll give a thumbs up on here to Lane and Borg Motorsports and David Farmer, who did the alignment on the car.

I’ve had a few good runs with car in the hills of NC.
No rattles or squeaks. The car is much more direct in its feedback and does not wiggle around. the kit does NOT make the car harsh for the roads. IMO the car feels like a corvette should.

I also installed, DRM shocks and AMT camber kit along with the bushings.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:02 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_1307
Update to a post below,
I now have many road miles on the kit, and it is not harsh at all. The car is much nicer to drive and predictable if you like to have fun on the back roads. I have recently noticed a squeak on the right rear, so maybe Lane can advise on that, but it is not annoying.

Posted on 3/31/2021
I’ll give a thumbs up on here to Lane and Borg Motorsports and David Farmer, who did the alignment on the car.

I’ve had a few good runs with car in the hills of NC.
No rattles or squeaks. The car is much more direct in its feedback and does not wiggle around. the kit does NOT make the car harsh for the roads. IMO the car feels like a corvette should.

I also installed, DRM shocks and AMT camber kit along with the bushings.
Thanks for the great feedback!

The squeak is something that pops up on some aluminum frame cars. Apparently there are some rear upper control arms that have different dimensions than nominal and it can cause a squeak. Shoot me an email and we can determine what needs to be adjusted and I can get a custom set of bushings machined. A spacer or some grease can also be a quick solve if you want a fix you can implement right now.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:50 PM
herwawan
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

This is perfect, I am looking at both Poly & Delrin for mine and I definitely struggle making a decision. There's a $200 price difference between the two which is quite a lot, but the general feedback seems to push toward Delrin... and I get what you're explaining Lane. Decisions decisions...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Delrin Bushings anyone?