Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Threw a Rod thru my block... Replacement recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Joram
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threw a Rod thru my block... Replacement recommendation?

I lost a rod and put a hole in my block this weekend. This was a 07' heads/cam/intake car with 60,000 miles. For those of you who have had to replace a block or more... What did you guys go with? The shop is pulling the motor today and tomorrow to break it down and see what's still useable. I'm either going to fix it to sell it, or fix it to be bullet proof and keep it. I drive it pretty hard regularly as a DD.

Last edited by Joram; 06-22-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Joram
I lost a rod and put a hole in my block this weekend. This was a 07' heads/cam/intake car with 60,000 miles. For those of you who have had to replace a block or more... What did you guys go with? The shop is pulling the motor today and tomorrow to break it down and see what's still useable. I'm either going to fix it to sell it, or fix it to be bullet proof and keep it. I drive it pretty hard regularly as a DD.
Sorry for your loss! You can't go wrong with an RHS block.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:04 AM
curtkrug
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke a #7 piston ringland but luckily it didn't scar the wall or anything. I sent mine off to Halston at H-Squared Racing Engines to rebuild it. I went with forged pistons, but kept the stock titanium rods since everyone says there are awesome unless going boost. I'm sticking all natural but pushing as much power as i can out of the stock ls7 block. He's awesome dealing with, always answers or texts back and really knows his ****. And even willing to work with me incase i didn't like my cam that he spec'd for me. If you choose to rebuild it, i'd give him a call and atleast talk to him.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

I blew mine up a few weeks ago. So far I have
Callies crank rods pistons rings bearings balanced $2800
parts from gm gaskets head bolts oil cooler oil pump $1400
block bored .005 cam bearing and heads rebuilt $? not done yet
I do all my own labor so no cost for that.

you will need a block $2600

You can purchase a complete ls7 engine from summit or jegs for 12500 with free shipping. summit has a 750 rebate. Dealer cost is 11000. The cost adds up quick when rebuilding. my cut off was 8000 to do a complete engine.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Here is a fantastic deal with a proven combo.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html
Old 06-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I lost a rod and put a hole in my block this weekend. This was a 07' heads/cam/intake car with 60,000 miles. For those of you who have had to replace a block or more... What did you guys go with? The shop is pulling the motor today and tomorrow to break it down and see what's still usable. I'm either going to fix it to sell it, or fix it to be bullet proof and keep it. I drive it pretty hard regularly as a DD.
Sorry Joram, but your block it toast. No way to fix an aluminum block with a hole through it. Your crank may be OK, along with a few rods. I wouldn't bet on the crank being good either though. Probably bent or fatigued.

Might as well start shopping for a short block. I'd try to convince you to go with a 4.125 or larger bore, but with Darton liners. Start there and build on that platform.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:36 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

any idea on why you threw a rod?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Joram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
any idea on why you threw a rod?
Should know more this afternoon when they get the engine open.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:57 PM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Was this the black Z at SAR last Friday? Sorry for your loss. Who is working on it for you?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Joram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XLR8-R
Was this the black Z at SAR last Friday? Sorry for your loss. Who is working on it for you?
Yes sir. Lethal Performance
Old 06-23-2016, 02:27 PM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just sold an LS7 block and pistons locally to someone who had the same thing happen... I have a crank if you end up needing one. Sorry for your loss...
Old 06-23-2016, 03:16 PM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes sir. Lethal Performance
I saw the run and your car at the end of the track. A real bummer! Danny should be able to help you for sure. Let us know what he finds.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Joram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLWN1
I need a head and maybe a car with a bad engine if anyone has anything while we are on topic...
Well i may have one for ya depending on what your budget is....
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Joram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Sorry Joram, but your block it toast. No way to fix an aluminum block with a hole through it. Your crank may be OK, along with a few rods. I wouldn't bet on the crank being good either though. Probably bent or fatigued.

Might as well start shopping for a short block. I'd try to convince you to go with a 4.125 or larger bore, but with Darton liners. Start there and build on that platform.
Can you send me a link to what you have in mind?
Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Can you send me a link to what you have in mind?
I don't really have any particular shop in mind.... Just telling you what I'd be looking at if I were in need of a new block.

RED and ERL both do good work with these blocks. Both will re-sleeve them. There are several other engine builders you could get a short block from. Most of them (not all) will source re-sleeved blocks from RED or ERL. They then complete the assembly, starting from different stages... Could be the finish hone, balancing the rotating assembly and final assembly, or it could just be bolting the heads to the assembled short block...

http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...-installation/

http://www.erlperformance.com/

Another option would be an aftermarket block. Prices can vary greatly. RHS has a pretty good reputation. I have not used their blocks, so I cannot give first-hand info on them.

Texas Speed will also sell you a short block, long block, complete engine.... They do pretty good work, at least from what I've been exposed to. They tend to be pretty helpful with international orders too. (some businesses do not want to be bothered with international freight)

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3188-a...d-engines.aspx
Old 06-25-2016, 01:23 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't really have any particular shop in mind.... Just telling you what I'd be looking at if I were in need of a new block.

RED and ERL both do good work with these blocks. Both will re-sleeve them. There are several other engine builders you could get a short block from. Most of them (not all) will source re-sleeved blocks from RED or ERL. They then complete the assembly, starting from different stages... Could be the finish hone, balancing the rotating assembly and final assembly, or it could just be bolting the heads to the assembled short block...

http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...-installation/

http://www.erlperformance.com/

Another option would be an aftermarket block. Prices can vary greatly. RHS has a pretty good reputation. I have not used their blocks, so I cannot give first-hand info on them.

Texas Speed will also sell you a short block, long block, complete engine.... They do pretty good work, at least from what I've been exposed to. They tend to be pretty helpful with international orders too. (some businesses do not want to be bothered with international freight)

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3188-a...d-engines.aspx
Another MAJOR thing to Note is ERL doesn't just re-sleeve blocks. They use a ductile iron sleeve which is a hell of a lot stronger than the stock cast sleeves. Also if you want bullet proof their superdeck setup is a monster.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 PM
BLWN1
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowBusa08
Another MAJOR thing to Note is ERL doesn't just re-sleeve blocks. They use a ductile iron sleeve which is a hell of a lot stronger than the stock cast sleeves. Also if you want bullet proof their superdeck setup is a monster.

Just curious, how many ERLS blocks you have used?

Get notified of new replies

To Threw a Rod thru my block... Replacement recommendation?

Old 06-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SlowBusa08
.....already mentioned.

R.E.D. also uses the Darton liners that ERL uses. RED also has a MID wet sleeve option that is similar in strength to the ERL Superdeck.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:40 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWN1
Just curious, how many ERLS blocks you have used?
Mine is going in now. Bought mine from a reputable vendor here that uses 2-3 a month. Hopefully that's the only ERL block I need to use. At least in this car.

Last edited by SlowBusa08; 06-25-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:11 PM
BLWN1
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Staying NA?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Threw a Rod thru my block... Replacement recommendation?