Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mantic 9000 Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:21 AM
kricket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mantic 9000 Shudder

Just put in a mantic 9000 and am getting a real noticeable shudder while taking off in first gear from a complete stop. I'm right around 500 miles after the install. I was wanting to do an auto cross event tomorrow but would that be wise? Is the shudder something that may go away? Thanks
Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM
flyby763
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Took mine closer to 1000 miles to stop chattering.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

My RXT did it until about 5-700 miles then it noticeably dropped off.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 AM
NJWidebody
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a mantic 9000 for one season, put about 7000 miles on it before it started slipping from some nitrous abuses and I had it removed. I had that same shudder on take off and it drove me nuts, mine never got any better and it seemed the longer I drove the worse it got.

I swapped out to a Mcleod RXT and Hinson mounts front and back. I have zero and I mean zero shudder. I don't know if it was a combo of the sloppy worn out OEM mounts and a grabby twin disc but it may have been.

My Mantic was installed by a reputable shop and broken in by them as they put some miles on my newly build bottom end.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:01 PM
kricket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the ranger flush method three times now. Almost non existent now. The fluid looked pretty bad at the first flush. Not really dark but could see some what I'm guessing clutch dust particles.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:05 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine did it for the first 300 miles then started to dramatically drop off. I have not noticed any the last few times I have drove it.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Very common on twin disk clutches. It'll lessen as the clutch breaks in but it'll probably never go completely away. You have to change how you drive the car to avoid it.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:42 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Very common on twin disk clutches. It'll lessen as the clutch breaks in but it'll probably never go completely away. You have to change how you drive the car to avoid it.
It isn't that it is a twin disk, but rather a very aggressive friction material. Cerametallic friction material is for RACE clutches...they are going to misbehave a bit. This is why I tell everyone to be careful not to over clutch your car. You don't need a clutch that holds 1000lb-ft for an N/A street car.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
It isn't that it is a twin disk, but rather a very aggressive friction material. Cerametallic friction material is for RACE clutches...they are going to misbehave a bit. This is why I tell everyone to be careful not to over clutch your car. You don't need a clutch that holds 1000lb-ft for an N/A street car.
Since I do not track my car, I opted for the Mantic 9000 organic dual disc and do not have any shudder or chatter issues. While the cerametallic discs will bite better, the organic discs will be more forgiving with less chance of shudder or chatter. Just saying
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Organic disks do it also. My RPS organic twin and a good friend's RST also did it. Cerametallic may be worse, but chatter is not limited to that material.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Clutches ratings are not a straight forward thing.

If you make 600-700rwhp and plan to run a drag tire and drag race/launch it a lot, you want a clutch rated for 900+ftlbs. If you are just doing roll racing or a normal tire, a stock clutch will hold 600-700rwhp for a long long time. So it just depends on application. If you are just going to do rolls and not slip it/launch it, you can get a far less aggressive clutch.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Organic disks do it also. My RPS organic twin and a good friend's RST also did it. Cerametallic may be worse, but chatter is not limited to that material.
I didn't say organic CAN'T...I said that the chatter isn't due to it being a twin disk. The aggressive friction material is responsible, along with the lack of a marcel spring in the cerametallic disk.

Your RPS wasn't pure organic, so it cannot be directly compared to those that are. The RST and LT1-S clutches that I've driven do NOT chatter at all. You're the only one I've seen report that the RST isn't smooth as silk. And to clear up any confusion...chatter is another word for "driveline shudder" at clutch engagement, it doesn't describe noise. If you have an RST that is chattering, something is wrong...and given McLeods shoddy quality control, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. Just look at the issues people have with the RXT. Exactly why I skipped McLeod.

I drive my car several times a week with an LT1-S and it still has ZERO chatter and makes no noise whatsoever. Only major difference from stock is that it bites harder at engagement and has a smaller engagement window. Other than that, you'd never know it wasn't stock. I've driven dozens of LS vehicles over the years with various clutches in them, ranging from stock to drag only. There is a reason that I chose the clutch that I did.

Like I've said in other threads, if you have a strictly street N/A Z06, that doesn't see drag strip duty, there is just NO reason to use anything more aggressive than an RST/Mantic 9000 organic/LT1-S...All you're doing is making the drivability worse.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:48 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a monster lt1 sc and my god it had horrific manners, unless u dropped the clutch with massive revs it was horrible to drive

Monster swapped it to a lt1 s and my god the car is now amazing

Both are twins , just ones organic I think!

I would go out give it some abuse and see if t gets better otherwise just swap it over to another - monster lt1 s is just amazing mate honestly
Old 06-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech
Safety Car

I didn't say organic CAN'T...I said that the chatter isn't due to it being a twin disk. The aggressive friction material is responsible, along with the lack of a marcel spring in the cerametallic disk.

Your RPS wasn't pure organic, so it cannot be directly compared to those that are. The RST and LT1-S clutches that I've driven do NOT chatter at all. You're the only one I've seen report that the RST isn't smooth as silk. And to clear up any confusion...chatter is another word for "driveline shudder" at clutch engagement, it doesn't describe noise. If you have an RST that is chattering, something is wrong...and given McLeods shoddy quality control, I guess I wouldn't be surprised. Just look at the issues people have with the RXT. Exactly why I skipped McLeod.

I drive my car several times a week with an LT1-S and it still has ZERO chatter and makes no noise whatsoever. Only major difference from stock is that it bites harder at engagement and has a smaller engagement window. Other than that, you'd never know it wasn't stock. I've driven dozens of LS vehicles over the years with various clutches in them, ranging from stock to drag only. There is a reason that I chose the clutch that I did.

Like I've said in other threads, if you have a strictly street N/A Z06, that doesn't see drag strip duty, there is just NO reason to use anything more aggressive than an RST/Mantic 9000 organic/LT1-S...All you're doing is making the drivability worse.
We share the same definition of chatter. I experienced worse chatter with my RPS organic (I had 2 different clutches from RPS) than my RXT. RPS told me they were "organic" disks. They have since stopped selling that clutch. To say it wasn't "pure organic" leaves quite a bit of speculation without something supporting that claim. RPS called them organic.

We're really mincing words here... there are OEM multi-disk clutches that don't chatter. But I'm not convinced there _any_ aftermarket twin disk clutches that don't chatter, ever. You say it's friction material composition. I say it's any aftermarket twin disk. No friction material I've found is immune to chatter. Organic is better (like I said previously) but it does still chatter.

Get notified of new replies

To Mantic 9000 Shudder

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mantic 9000 Shudder