Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Less mild and more wild HCI build! (An American Heritage Performance tale)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I'm not sure what you were saying, but the wiggle test measurements for the valve guides that were bore measured were way, way larger than the bore numbers.

See #6 exhaust, wiggle .0085, bore .0038, only 45% of the wiggle, #3 intake was furthest off, I think by more than an order f magnitude.

This and other recent tests basically confirm that if the wiggle test shows the valves guides are good, they are. If it shows they are bad, then the heads need to come off and bores measured. They may or may not be bad.
I believe that if the wiggle results are bad the guides are in fact bad. These results agree with that.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:27 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok this thread received some responses since last night. I'll answer everyone's questions after describing the second days driving.

Today's plan was to continue up the coast and stop half way to finish up tomorrow. After crossing the Golden Gate bridge this morning I decided to turn right towards I5 and the quick way home instead of left and continue fallowing the coast road. I enjoyed yesterdays drive but there is just so much traffic on the road I opted to come home a day early.

Today was almost exclusively freeway driving. I'm happy to report that this car drives on the freeway almost exactly as it did when stock. Most of the day was spent cruising in 6th gear between 75 and 85 mph and there is nothing abnormal to report. The car performed beautifully all day running for nearly 15 hours. At one point I got caught in traffic just north of Salem that shutdown all three lanes of I5 and the car idled the whole time without stalling or even thinking of stalling. It's just rolled from left to right all afternoon. Temps also stayed below 200 the whole time. One new observation is that 6th gear is more usable now for overtaking. It's not super impressive but it will pull hard enough to overtake comfortably on the freeway whereas in the past I would usually drop to 5th.

I put more effort into focusing on the clutch and I'm starting to get used to it. I did a little parking lot driving on one of my gas stops when I also got lunch and 1st gear can be a little trick under 10 mph but getting better with the clutch will help smooth this out.

The last 3 hours of the drive home were in the wet where in typical Washington fashioned it began raining just as I crossed the state line. I was hoping to run it hard through the gears a few times on roads I know before getting home but I want the ground dry for this not wet.

Overall The car did great again and I finally got it home tonight. Tomorrow I'll get it cleaned up and have a closer look at it on the lift and see if I can address that steering shaft/ header issue.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:00 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
Glad it is going well! Would you mind watching the gas mileage a bit and comparing to stock? How does it do cruising OP n the interstate?
Well I learned today that the mpg data on my DIC is no longer valid. I wanted to believe that I have actually been averaging 36 mpg but when I checked the old school way of dividing miles driven by gas added I came up with 24 mpg. This is based on one tank in which I went 318 miles before filling up. Almost all the miles were in 6th gear at an average speed somewhere between 75 and 80. If I was averaging closer to 65 - 70 maybe it would have been a bit better. The other attempts at mileage were shot by stop and go traffic the second half of the day. I didn't really expect my mpg to improve but I wasn't think the about the new injectors affecting the dic calculations.

Cruising on the interstate is great. It will hum all day long without complaint. I can engage 6th as low as 50 (didn't try lower) and bring the speed up to cruising speeds. Like I mentioned yesterday when your off throttle or don't have any load below 1500 RPM you start to notice surging but it's extremely subtle. It reminds of what its like driving when its very windy out and you feel the occasional tug on the car as a big gust hits it but your not sure if you really felt the wind or if it was something else. Once the rpms drop to 1200 you it does become more noticeable at which point I just down shift to 5th or the next lowest gear.

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I was hoping for a road trip home report. Thanks, and continue to enjoy.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Flaps closed easily cost a 30-40rwhp jump. If you run it on the dyno with the flaps closed and opening at 3500rpm you can see the graph jump up.
I believe it. I was hoping to test this out some more today when I got closer to home and run through the gears with flaps closed to start and then open but the weather didn't cooperate. I'm sure even with the flaps open the factory set up is costing me HP and TQ. I wonder how much but I don't want to spend anymore chasing it right now.

Originally Posted by rjacobs
I personally wouldnt take the time to remove the header.

Should be able to pull the steering shaft loose from the rack, move the shaft out of the way, use a small ball peen hammer to clearance the header while its still in the car. SHOULDNT need much.

Might have to pull the alternator to get to the bolt on the steering shaft, but maybe not, not looking at my car right now.
Great idea. I will take that approach first. Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by Cman01
That's what I would do too. Did you take it for a short test drive before driving off on your way home? If you did probably would've noticed that issue and Kohle could've taken care of it before sending you on your way.

BTW, if you do remove the shaft to clearance the header slightly be careful you don't move the wheel too much and unwind your SRS clock spring. You'll have a bigger job ahead setting that back than just putting your steering shaft back.
I didn't notice it until a long way into my drive home the first day. A test drive around the block wouldn't have helped here unfortunately. It is very subtle and isn't a constant vibration. It comes and goes with turning input and differing loads. I can see the mark on the steering shaft though.

Thanks for the added advice on the steering shaft.

Originally Posted by vertC6
Do you happen to know the advance ground in?
I have to pull the cam card from my records. I don't remember of the top of my head. It's been a long day. I'll post the information tomorrow.

Originally Posted by jd86L98
Very happy for you and the amazing results. But I'm more happy because now that your build is complete Khole can focus on mine, I'm NEXT!

I'm going a little more radical with the cam (also EPS), and running LG 1 7/8 headers, it will be interesting to compare the results. Mine has been at AHP since end of February and I am getting a little impatient.

Again, congratulations!
Thanks. Which car was yours? I counted at least 8 when I was there Friday. If it's silver its in the shop! Mine's Machine Silver and the day I picked up the shop was filled with two other silver vettes in the shop.

I would like to see your results. Are you adding anything else like intake and are your heads going to be worked in similar fashion? At least with the milling and porting/ polishing? That would be a pretty close comparison minus the cam specs.

Last edited by NW94Z; 07-10-2016 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Actually I very very very much doubt with flaps open it is costing you any HP. I make over 1200rwhp on stock mufflers. Friend makes 1450rwhp on stock mufflers. There are plenty of 1200+hp cars on stock z06 mufflers, so I can't see a ~600hp car losing power with flaps open.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:17 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

How about the overall sound with the flaps closed do you notice more interior your noise while cruising? How about the drone level with the flaps open and closed?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Well I learned today that the mpg data on my DIC is no longer valid. I wanted to believe that I have actually been averaging 36 mpg but when I checked the old school way of dividing miles driven by gas added I came up with 24 mpg. This is based on one tank in which I went 318 miles before filling up. Almost all the miles were in 6th gear at an average speed somewhere between 75 and 80. If I was averaging closer to 65 - 70 maybe it would have been a bit better. The other attempts at mileage were shot by stop and go traffic the second half of the day. I didn't really expect my mpg to improve but I wasn't think the about the new injectors affecting the dic calculations.

Cruising on the interstate is great. It will hum all day long without complaint. I can engage 6th as low as 50 (didn't try lower) and bring the speed up to cruising speeds. Like I mentioned yesterday when your off throttle or don't have any load below 1500 RPM you start to notice surging but it's extremely subtle. It reminds of what its like driving when its very windy out and you feel the occasional tug on the car as a big gust hits it but your not sure if you really felt the wind or if it was something else. Once the rpms drop to 1200 you it does become more noticeable at which point I just down shift to 5th or the next lowest gear.
Depending on how Kohle scaled the tune for the larger injector flow rates, you can fix the DIC calculations. There is a table in the calibration called "Instrument Cluster Outputs". It is a % fuel mass table that you would have to adjust to compensate for the scaling done.

When you are in 6th, low rpm, the engine is loaded. You generally do not feel surging under loaded conditions. I'd caution you about accelerating in 6th gear though. This is when the engine is most prone to detonation.

Glade you're happy with the performance. I've been trying to talk folks into that EPS grind for years.
The following users liked this post:
Da Z06 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 11:30 AM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks.

I believe it. I was hoping to test this out some more today when I got closer to home and run through the gears with flaps closed to start and then open but the weather didn't cooperate. I'm sure even with the flaps open the factory set up is costing me HP and TQ. I wonder how much but I don't want to spend anymore chasing it right now.

Great idea. I will take that approach first. Thanks for the suggestion!

I didn't notice it until a long way into my drive home the first day. A test drive around the block wouldn't have helped here unfortunately. It is very subtle and isn't a constant vibration. It comes and goes with turning input and differing loads. I can see the mark on the steering shaft though.

Thanks for the added advice on the steering shaft.

I have to pull the cam card from my records. I don't remember of the top of my head. It's been a long day. I'll post the information tomorrow.

Thanks. Which car was yours? I counted at least 8 when I was there Friday. If it's silver its in the shop! Mine's Machine Silver and the day I picked up the shop was filled with two other silver vettes in the shop.

I would like to see your results. Are you adding anything else like intake and are your heads going to be worked in similar fashion? At least with the milling and porting/ polishing? That would be a pretty close comparison minus the cam specs.
Mine is a wide body silver C5Z, with a custom dry sump and C6Z rear cradle. The entire long block is being rebuilt after a failed aluminum rocker sent metal shavings throughout the motor. The heads were previously reworked by another shop and flow really well. I had the car dynoed just before the incident and it made 530/490 with a 230/240 cam, stock intake, and full stock LS7 exhaust. Khole and I haven't discussed the details yet, but I am planning on swapping out my heavy Rev SS exhaust valves, and if necessary, after flow testing the heads having Khole do some porting. I purchased an MSD intake and already had larger injectors. The new EPS cam is 236/252 113+4. The car is not a daily driver and sees the track a few times a year. I'm a little concerned with the cam for the times I do drive it on the street, but this time around I felt like pushing the limits. I'm really excitied about the build!

Last edited by jd86L98; 07-10-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Actually I very very very much doubt with flaps open it is costing you any HP. I make over 1200rwhp on stock mufflers. Friend makes 1450rwhp on stock mufflers. There are plenty of 1200+hp cars on stock z06 mufflers, so I can't see a ~600hp car losing power with flaps open.
Excellent. Good to know! The only advantage at this point then would be sound.

How about the overall sound with the flaps closed do you notice more interior your noise while cruising? How about the drone level with the flaps open and closed?
Sound on the inside of the cabin is relatively unchanged. It's a little louder but most of that is coming from the front of the car through the headers. While moving the dominant sound is still the road noise produced by the tires. Stopped in traffic the there is a bit more noise but again it comes from the front of the car. As for drone flaps closed none. Flaps open there is drone but it's the same drone that was there before the work.

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Depending on how Kohle scaled the tune for the larger injector flow rates, you can fix the DIC calculations. There is a table in the calibration called "Instrument Cluster Outputs". It is a % fuel mass table that you would have to adjust to compensate for the scaling done.

When you are in 6th, low rpm, the engine is loaded. You generally do not feel surging under loaded conditions. I'd caution you about accelerating in 6th gear though. This is when the engine is most prone to detonation.

Glade you're happy with the performance. I've been trying to talk folks into that EPS grind for years.
This is when I wish Kohle wasn't so far away. I can with the DIC being off but it would be nice to have that feature back. If i ever road trip the car all the way down to LA again i will plan in advance to get this done.

Correct on 6th gear. No surge at all and I won't be accelerating from such low rpm's in the future.

Geoff at EPS was great to work with. I think he cams are great and he will do his best to help you out.

Mine is a wide body silver C5Z, with a custom dry sump and C6Z rear cradle. The entire long block is being rebuilt after a failed aluminum rocker sent metal shavings throughout the motor. The heads were previously reworked by another shop and flow really well. I had the car dynoed just before the incident and it made 530/490 with a 230/240 cam, stock intake, and full stock LS7 exhaust. Khole and I haven't discussed the details yet, but I am planning on swapping out my heavy Rev SS exhaust valves, and if necessary, after flow testing the heads having Khole do some porting. I purchased an MSD intake and already had larger injectors. The new EPS cam is 236/252 113+4. The car is not a daily driver and sees the track a few times a year. I'm a little concerned with the cam for the times I do drive it on the street, but this time around I felt like pushing the limits. I'm really excitied about the build!
The only silver cars I saw there Friday were in his shop in the air but they were C6's. Yours must be under a cover for protection. My first Corvette was an 02 C5Z and I still miss that car. I still think it was more fun to drive than the C6Z.

You have quite a bit of cam there. Sounds like your car is going to deliver some pretty good performance. I would expect it to out perform mine for sure. One key reason I went all the way to SoCal to get the work done is the tuning. From researching I came to the conclusion that AHP is one of the best in the business setting up tunes and the Dynapack used for tuning is one of the best tools for that. Fewer variables and more consistency. He get your cam working as well as possible. Post up when you get some driving impressions.

Last edited by NW94Z; 07-10-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:16 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
0.0085/2-0.0005=0.00375 which is damn close to 0.0038 if u ask me 😉
Sorry I forgot the formula and presumed the #'s were the numbers, not raw measurements.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:27 PM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent. Good to know! The only advantage at this point then would be sound.

Sound on the inside of the cabin is relatively unchanged. It's a little louder but most of that is coming from the front of the car through the headers. While moving the dominant sound is still the road noise produced by the tires. Stopped in traffic the there is a bit more noise but again it comes from the front of the car. As for drone flaps closed none. Flaps open there is drone but it's the same drone that was there before the work.

This is when I wish Kohle wasn't so far away. I can with the DIC being off but it would be nice to have that feature back. If i ever road trip the car all the way down to LA again i will plan in advance to get this done.

Correct on 6th gear. No surge at all and I won't be accelerating from such low rpm's in the future.

Geoff at EPS was great to work with. I think he cams are great and he will do his best to help you out.

The only silver cars I saw there Friday were in his shop in the air but they were C6's. Yours must be under a cover for protection. My first Corvette was an 02 C5Z and I still miss that car. I still think it was more fun to drive than the C6Z.

You have quite a bit of cam there. Sounds like your car is going to deliver some pretty good performance. I would expect it to out perform mine for sure. One key reason I went all the way to SoCal to get the work done is the tuning. From researching I came to the conclusion that AHP is one of the best in the business setting up tunes and the Dynapack used for tuning is one of the best tools for that. Fewer variables and more consistency. He get your cam working as well as possible. Post up when you get some driving impressions.
Yes, my car is under a cover. The 230/240 114 cam had zero drivability issues. And my previous two builds used a 224/230 and a 231/237 cam and both were extremely friendly on the street, both on smaller displacement LS motors. I'm not one to "over-cam" a car; I think this cam will be on the edge but fun on the street and great at the track! I will post a full review when the build is completed.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Yes, my car is under a cover. The 230/240 114 cam had zero drivability issues. And my previous two builds used a 224/230 and a 231/237 cam and both were extremely friendly on the street, both on smaller displacement LS motors. I'm not one to "over-cam" a car; I think this cam will be on the edge but fun on the street and great at the track! I will post a full review when the build is completed.
Your C5z06 LS7 build is up next!!! Should be a very nice build!

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-12-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you happen to know the advance ground in?
I'm very interested in swapping my 110 for a cam like this one. I also would like to know the ground-in advance #.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:38 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
So if the OE poster dynoed on a dynojet what would his SAE #'s be then?

Not knocking the OE poster's #'s but I'm just having a hard time understanding how his combo with a torquer 116 cam (in most people's books a mild but decent cam) is making 600+hp SAE on a dynapack dyno. Some guys with serious NA builds and using more radical cams don't hit #'s like that SAE on a dynojet.
There is so much more to an engine's performance than lift and duration of a cam. If all the other parts aren't working together in concert with that cam spec, it won't make a hill of beans difference.

This setup obviously was engineered.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

.......which is why so many builds posted onthis site are barely eaking out 600whp with cams that are way too big. No way for them to spin high enough to reach peak VE. Anything over about 245/.050 intake duration is simply too much for this engine's swept volume and typical peak rpm of 7100.

But having said that, only the very best pushrod, two valve NA engines exceed 100% VE. 95% is a stretch. And being generous with 100%, some basic math and knowing fuel type, calculated power is pretty accurate. An even simpler calculation can be made if fuel type and PPH, and AFR are known. There is only so much chemical energy contained in 1 pound of fuel. An IC engine is a device that converts chemical energy to work. It is not an air pump, even though it is commonly referred as one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael_D:
Bad_AX (07-27-2016), MTPZ06 (08-04-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
.......which is why so many builds posted onthis site are barely eaking out 600whp with cams that are way too big. No way for them to spin high enough to reach peak VE. Anything over about 245/.050 intake duration is simply too much for this engine's swept volume and typical peak rpm of 7100.

But having said that, only the very best pushrod, two valve NA engines exceed 100% VE. 95% is a stretch. And being generous with 100%, some basic math and knowing fuel type, calculated power is pretty accurate. An even simpler calculation can be made if fuel type and PPH, and AFR are known. There is only so much chemical energy contained in 1 pound of fuel. An IC engine is a device that converts chemical energy to work. It is not an air pump, even though it is commonly referred as one.
Michael D hit the nail on the head.
Making power (usable power) is all about the combo.
Its all about VE (volumetric efficiency).
A properly engineered combo will have a much higher higher VE % than a lesser engineered combo.

We have spent Months and Months on our flow bench and our other test equipment dialing in our combos to ensure we have the highest % VE we can attain for a given combo.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Les-10
I'm very interested in swapping my 110 for a cam like this one. I also would like to know the ground-in advance #.
I believe it was +2 but would have to check the file to be sure.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ever throw it back on Wong's dyno to see power numbers up in WA? Would be interesting to see.

Get notified of new replies

To Less mild and more wild HCI build! (An American Heritage Performance tale)

Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Ever throw it back on Wong's dyno to see power numbers up in WA? Would be interesting to see.
I didn't. He is 3 hours south of me and I haven't really got a reason to go there other than to dyno.

If there is a local dyno day I catch wind of I may sign up to get some dynojet or Mustang dyno #'s to compare loosely but honestly the #'s are often a point of contention for many people and not worth arguing over.

I was really hoping for a before and after on the same machine to see what the actual gains were.

Last edited by NW94Z; 02-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I didn't. He is 3 hours south of me and I haven't really got a reason to go there other than to dyno.

If there is a local dyno day I catch wind of locally I may sign up to get some dynojet or Mustang dyno #'s to compare loosely but honestly the #'s are often a point of contention for many people and not worth arguing over.

I was really hoping for a before and after on the same machine to see what the actual gains were.
Just curious......any updates on your (new) gas mileage, and delta to your old mileage (how much did you lose to gain 200hp?)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Just curious......any updates on your (new) gas mileage, and delta to your old mileage (how much did you lose to gain 200hp?)
Unfortunately not really. I haven't driven the car since the weather turned sour here around the beginning of October. Hoping to get it out in April and start driving it again.

I estimate I have lost around 4.5 MPG in HWY driving though. I used to average around 28 MPG. Now I'm around 24. As for stop and go I'm probably in the high teens down from 22/23 before.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Less mild and more wild HCI build! (An American Heritage Performance tale)