Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z takes down C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by lebvette
I have a crammed C6Z, and although there are several C7Z's in the club, I haven't had the chance to tie up with one. I get the impression that they think, they can't be beat. I'm lookin forward to the meeting. I just hope my wife is not in the car..... because she's going to get the ride of her life, while screaming slow down...slow down!
I get the same impression. Marketing. Like when gm heavily publicised the aluminum frame being 100 pounds lighter than the c6, only to have the car weigh in at 500 pounds more without a peep.lol. Best track corvette ever lol.....makes the c6 obsolete lol Vadge!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM
LS7Steve
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock C6Z and raced a stock C7Z from a 55 to 140 and lost by a car and a half. Its a slow steady pull by the C7.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I owned a stock C6Z and traded for a stock C7Z with the Z07 package. On the track the two have similar top speeds coming off the same corners at the same speed. The Z07 has a lot of aero drag and carries two hundred pounds more weight so all in all the two are equal when it comes to accelerating off Oak Tree corner from 47 or 48 mph in third gear. The C7 also has a disadvantage in this area because it is limited by its engine rpm. The C6Z can get 500 more rpm out of the engine. By the time you get to the end of the back straight both cars can be going 154 to 158, however, the C6Z can do that with one gear change and the C7 needs two gear changes. Each gear change costs you time. The big advantages of the C7Z with the Z07 are its better handling and braking despite the 200 lbs extra weight. It can get through corners better due to the aero and the electronic diff which is amazing. When you get right down to it with the same driver driving both cars the C7Z will be the quicker car around the track. If you only look at one aspect of the performance envelope (acceleration) your are missing the most important parts of a car comparison. I have been passed by stock C6Zs since I got the C7 but it isn't because the car is better it is because the drivers are better. Sometimes you have to have bigger Cajones rather than a heavy foot. Straight line racing rarely tests your Cajone size.

Bill
Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I owned a stock C6Z and traded for a stock C7Z with the Z07 package. On the track the two have similar top speeds coming off the same corners at the same speed. The Z07 has a lot of aero drag and carries two hundred pounds more weight so all in all the two are equal when it comes to accelerating off Oak Tree corner from 47 or 48 mph in third gear. The C7 also has a disadvantage in this area because it is limited by its engine rpm. The C6Z can get 500 more rpm out of the engine. By the time you get to the end of the back straight both cars can be going 154 to 158, however, the C6Z can do that with one gear change and the C7 needs two gear changes. Each gear change costs you time. The big advantages of the C7Z with the Z07 are its better handling and braking despite the 200 lbs extra weight. It can get through corners better due to the aero and the electronic diff which is amazing. When you get right down to it with the same driver driving both cars the C7Z will be the quicker car around the track. If you only look at one aspect of the performance envelope (acceleration) your are missing the most important parts of a car comparison. I have been passed by stock C6Zs since I got the C7 but it isn't because the car is better it is because the drivers are better. Sometimes you have to have bigger Cajones rather than a heavy foot. Straight line racing rarely tests your Cajone size.

Bill
Are you comparing the braking of a C7 Z06 with the Z07 CCB's to a base C6 Z06 with iron brakes or a C6 Z06 with the Z07 CCB's?

Have you actually been racing C6 Z06's with your C7 Z06's are just doing HPDE's. IF just doing HPDE's, can't you only pass on the straights with a wave by?

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-25-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Are you comparing the braking of a C7 Z06 with the Z07 CCB's to a base C6 Z06 with iron brakes or a C6 Z06 with the Z07 CCB's?

Have you actually been racing C6 Z06's with your C7 Z06's are just doing HPDE's. IF just doing HPDE's, can't you only pass on the straights with a wave by?
Exactly - the C7 Z is an ugly, heavy, blown (that's not a positive) tire-grinder. No thanks. C6 Z CE FTW!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

How long to brake pads last on track with the c7z?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:31 PM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Exactly - the C7 Z is an ugly, heavy, blown (that's not a positive) tire-grinder. No thanks. C6 Z CE FTW!
Definitely heavy. I take C6Z06 any day as well or C6 ZR1. C6 Z06 + head and cam is lethal. I have one, and it takes out lambos, ferraries, and most other exotics within 500K price range. Not bad.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 PM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
More like 400lbs heavier stock for stock! First year C6 ZO6 was 3,127 lbs and slowly increased each year to 3,175 in 2013. C7 ZO6 is listed at 3,524 and 3,558 for the A8 ZO7 package.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
More like 400lbs heavier stock for stock! First year C6 ZO6 was 3,127 lbs and slowly increased each year to 3,175 in 2013. C7 ZO6 is listed at 3,524 and 3,558 for the A8 ZO7 package.
my 07 2lz weighed in at 3120 with general exclaim tires which are not runflats and just a little more then 1/4 of gas.

I think the c7z is around 3510
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Bill can answer also but we both run at VIR and I do HPDE's which are normally broken up into 5 groups, Beginner and Novice both have instructors and you can only pass one car with that car giving a wave bye. In the intermediate group at some point you loose your instructor and can normally pass anywhere on the track with a point by. The advanced groups in my opinion are just like racing. You pass anywhere without point byes. Bill is extremely good and probably does more than HPDE's. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
Bill can answer also but we both run at VIR and I do HPDE's which are normally broken up into 5 groups, Beginner and Novice both have instructors and you can only pass one car with that car giving a wave bye. In the intermediate group at some point you loose your instructor and can normally pass anywhere on the track with a point by. The advanced groups in my opinion are just like racing. You pass anywhere without point byes. Bill is extremely good and probably does more than HPDE's. Just my 2 cents.
Your making the C6 > C7 argument - if Bill is extremely good, then stock C6 Z's should not be passing.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:35 AM
olddragger
Pro

Depends on many things. On a road course circuit (such as VIR) with street driven cars--too many variables to pick a definite winner. Cars are too close. w/p ratio are only like a 0.6 difference. Then the heat soak factor comes to play and yes I said it. ANY stock form supercharged engine on a road course circuit or street will have heat soak. yes there are modifications that one can do to help with that---but that is not a point in this discussion.
Both are great cars, but for performance I will take a lightweight drivers car over a heavier, electronically enhanced car any day.
There will never be another lightweight powerful car like the c6 zo6 built again.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:04 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I beat a Ford Leaf with my Pro Mod last weekend. From a dig, roll, whatever. Wasn't even close.

But please, do carry on with all the kill stories of how you guys with your "modified" C6 Z06's smoked "stock" C7 Z06's......
The way I see it, let us have our hayday still while the C7Z's are still under warranty. Just like the C6Z, ya got too many new Vette owners that won't touch their car to keep the warranty.

Basically means we get to keep our "king of the road" title a few more years while the C7Z's remain stock, lol.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:07 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

I also would say that the C6Z could be faster in a straight line (and in many cases is) and could be a better track car because it is far more consistent (which it is) but would still be a fallible, erroneous statement to say it is a better car than the C7Z. So much more to a car than it's track capabilities. Sure, the C6Z was built for tracking and so it does...but nowadays, manufacturers are trying their best to meet the demand of "have your cake and eat it too". Consumers are demanding track cars that are 110% suitable for the street also. The C7Z delivers this by a wide margin better than the C6Z.

I'm trying to imagine how much of the extra performance of the C7Z can actually be used by the average driver on the street OR track. By average, I mean not really that good at racing just competent with a stick. I think that captures most of us. You know, we're the guys that run the car a full .3-.5 seconds slower than what it can do with the best driver on a strip. Capable, but not really exceptional.

My theory is that people like "us" ^^^ are not going to be any faster through the twisties or at the track with either or car, unless we're talking about the A8 configuration - I can see that one being a bit of a game-changer for the average driver but not a pro.

Then again, it's possible that I just don't know what I'm talking about. Nonetheless, I have sympathy for the C7Z owners that bought the car mainly because they were convinced it was the fastest car on the street. It's fast. It's definitely nicer than the C6Z, but the price cannot justify it if the potential owner is after the fastest street version of Corvettes. it's a full double to quadruple the price point of the C6Z, and offers only a little more useable performance on the street.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 07-26-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM
olddragger
Pro

it is nice to have choices
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by olddragger
it is nice to have choices
That's right.

Something else though - I always look at a car's potential and what it is going to be if/when I own it, not what it is in current state.

Since owning a C7Z would mean that I don't touch it for warranty reasons, I could argue that the best bargain and overall best performing Corvette is the C6Z or C6 ZR1. I've always looked at all of the cars this way. Cobra Terminators - not particularly fast in stock form but has a bottom end that can handle 900-1000rwhp in 100% stock form.

Similarly, I always looked at the GTR in the same vein. In stock form, this car really isn't too much to write home about until you start putting a few grand into it then it becomes a top dog car for ALL types of racing.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Nicodemo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I've noticed is that a lot of c7 owners in the area forget to wave!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicodemo
The only thing I've noticed is that a lot of c7 owners in the area forget to wave!
It's called C6 envy.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Nicodemo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
It's called C6 envy.
Haha! They really are amazing looking cars... And their performance speaks for themselves...

Last edited by Nicodemo; 07-27-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z takes down C7Z