Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] fuel smell/fuel module

Old 07-23-2016, 01:59 AM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default fuel smell/fuel module

2009 z06 32000 miles street driven.

Started having a fuel smell coming from driver side wheel well and gas cap area thought it mite be bad gas cap so replaced with a Gm cap did not help.
Looked at some past threads about fuel smell and saw some had to replace fuel module in gas tank.
So i made appointment with Rydell Chevrolet in Northridge to have it looked at, my service advisor told me they just did a 2011 grandsport last week with same issue, it turned out to be fuel module that had a crack in the plastic part coming out of module you can see it in photo.
So 1650 dollars later all is well, also included a new sensor .
Module is in gas tank so tank has to come down to replace it very labor heavy about 8 or 10 ten hours , could become a issue with fuel leaking with exhaust under it so if you smell fuel dont wait have it checked out.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:48 AM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter50vette

2009 z06 32000 miles street driven.

Started having a fuel smell coming from driver side wheel well and gas cap area thought it mite be bad gas cap so replaced with a Gm cap did not help.
Looked at some past threads about fuel smell and saw some had to replace fuel module in gas tank.
So i made appointment with Rydell Chevrolet in Northridge to have it looked at, my service advisor told me they just did a 2011 grandsport last week with same issue, it turned out to be fuel module that had a crack in the plastic part coming out of module you can see it in photo.
So 1650 dollars later all is well, also included a new sensor .
Module is in gas tank so tank has to come down to replace it very labor heavy about 8 or 10 ten hours , could become a issue with fuel leaking with exhaust under it so if you smell fuel dont wait have it checked out.

Yes very common problem, I replaced mine along with the crossover tube since it had tiny holes in it as well. My car is and 09' with 5500 miles on it. Bad design by GM for sure, big issue is the crossover tube, when my leaked, it leaked onto my exhaust!! Good informative post!!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

There are 2 threads about this in C6 General. The one in the sticky may be easier to find, look on the last page of the sticky.

GM has finally identified the problem and is offering to fix it.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yah, looks like GM is doing a good will fix and will pay you back for the repair.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:22 PM
pewter50vette
Instructor

As it turns out i pick my car up on Friday in the morning after having fuel module and sensor replaced when i get home daughter calls and says Gm just released a bulletin to fix module if leaking go figure, it is good they are addressing the issue, after a closer look at top fitting on module it was cracked about half way around im sure a good amount of fuel was coming out they are doing the rite thing to fix the problem a thumbs up for Gm on this one.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:23 PM
emj311
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM actually replaced the drivers side fuel tank on my 2009 z. Warranty covered the whole cost. $1800!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 PM
CHERYLLANE
4th Gear

Default Bulletin

Originally Posted by pewter50vette
As it turns out i pick my car up on Friday in the morning after having fuel module and sensor replaced when i get home daughter calls and says Gm just released a bulletin to fix module if leaking go figure, it is good they are addressing the issue, after a closer look at top fitting on module it was cracked about half way around im sure a good amount of fuel was coming out they are doing the rite thing to fix the problem a thumbs up for Gm on this one.
I haven't received a bulletin. Where do I find this?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:27 PM
CHERYLLANE
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
There are 2 threads about this in C6 General. The one in the sticky may be easier to find, look on the last page of the sticky.

GM has finally identified the problem and is offering to fix it.
How do you get them to fix?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 AM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Try this special coverage adjustment # 15682, good for 10 years and 120000 miles im sure you can go to dealer give them that number and they can look it up.

C6 general forum has sticky on this matter.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by CHERYLLANE
How do you get them to fix?
Keep in mind that your car has to actually have the issue in order to be repaired under the special coverage. It is not a recall, but an extended warranty coverage for that specific issue.

I've had a lot of people call and think it's a recall, but we (GM) can only replace the module if you can determine it's leaking from there.

Additionally, the parts are still on and off back order so make sure the dealer can get the part before your car is stuck in their lift for 2-3 weeks waiting on the module.

RICH

Get notified of new replies

To fuel smell/fuel module

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] fuel smell/fuel module