Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Issue after filling up gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
pikemike428
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Post your question w/ the SW Regional forum, here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southeast-42/

Has to be many HP shop in FL who w/could do what you need for a LOT less than any dealer, usually better quality work also.
Thanks-I posted there based on your recommendation.

The dealer I take my car too is very good (service wise). There was an issue on my car (a click that occurred during hard braking) that one of the more well known LS south florida shops couldn't fix after 8 hours of tearing apart my suspension, that this service department fixed within an hour or so. Sometimes (in situations like this) the cost/reward simply isnt there at the dealer for me.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by pikemike420
So dealer said it was a level sensor in tank #2. Also said the CEL is the speed sensor in one of my rear wheels.

These 2 things alone to fix was about a $2,400 estimate....

Anyone know a dealer or shop or mechanic in Miami that is good enough to fix both for far less?
You want somebody who knows what they are doing to replace the fuel sending unit in the passenger side tank. The problem is installing the tank after the unit is replaced. It has a large tube with two smaller tubes inside that are inserted in receptacles in the cross over tube. When the tank is raised to mate the tubes all visibility goes out the window and the person doing the install can't see past the tank to see what they are doing. It is easy to damage the seals but you don't know they are damaged until you fire things up and see a leak.

The wheel speed sensor in the rear is just replacing the hub. If you are mechanically inclined it isn't the easiest job to do but it is straight forward. You can purchase a good new Timken hub at AutoZone in the $150 range and replace it yourself. The fuel tank is much greater challenge.

Bill
Old 08-24-2016, 02:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The wheel speed sensor in the rear is just replacing the hub. If you are mechanically inclined it isn't the easiest job to do but it is straight forward. You can purchase a good new Timken hub at AutoZone in the $150 range and replace it yourself. The fuel tank is much greater challenge.

Bill
^^This...either you or a mechanically inclined buddy, local forum member, etc. can knock this out without breaking the bank.

As far as the fuel sensor...at least try the Techron trick while you shop around for someone skilled, yet cheaper than the dealer. Techron, Techron, and more Techron may cure the issue. It did for me on my C5Z.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 08-24-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 AM
pikemike428
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
^^This...either you or a mechanically inclined buddy, local forum member, etc. can knock this out without breaking the bank.

As far as the fuel sensor...at least try the Techron trick while you shop around for someone skilled, yet cheaper than the dealer. Techron, Techron, and more Techron may cure the issue. It did for me on my C5Z.

I'll try the techron first. Heck if it saves me $1000 it would be well worth it!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by pikemike420
Guys-

Need some help diagnosing this:

Everytime i fill up, I start the car, and the gas needle starts to rise, and then it gets up about half way and says Service Fuel System-CEL comes on, and then it shows that I am empty and then half way full then empty back and forth.

Eventually after some gas gets eaten up, it goes to where it should go, and CEL goes away.

Now I have another CEL from something else (I think) that I also have to deal with.

Any Ideas?
I just got a letter from GM extending my warranty for what the letter describes as a problem with "fuel odor and fuel droplets". May not be related to your problem, but maybe it is....

"This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may have a condition where a fuel odor is detected, fuel droplets appear below the left-hand fuel tank with fuel gauge level above 1/2 full, or a malfunction indicator lamp illuminates due to a leak path in the left-hand fuel pump module flange."
Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Thats for the top outlet of the pump housing cracking. It would not effect the fuel level senders. Then again, maybe you can get them to drop the tanks under that part if you had a fuel smell, and while in there replace the sender. Not a bad option to look at.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Thats for the top outlet of the pump housing cracking. It would not effect the fuel level senders. Then again, maybe you can get them to drop the tanks under that part if you had a fuel smell, and while in there replace the sender. Not a bad option to look at.
I hope and hope some more that somehow how GM magically changed the fuel pump cover design / material spec in the later years - most likely we aren't seeing (more) failures on the later MY's yet due to lack of mileage and age.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-25-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 PM
pikemike428
Racer

techron ordered and on the way....will let you know if it helps it...
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Don't be afraid to give it a double dose on the initial treatment.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Issue after filling up gas