Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I need a clutch that I can slip.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:00 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default I need a clutch that I can slip.....

I'm looking to upgrade from my stock clutch to a twin but don't want an on/off clutch. I want something I can slip a little while daily driving and slip at the dragstrip a bit to help save the diff and axles. Right now I'm looking at the monster lt1 s and the rst from mcleod. If there are others I should be looking at let me know. Can the mantic 9000 be slipped? I've made up my mind to stay away from centerforce dyad through reading online. Any others to look at?

Forgot to mention its a head cam car making 580 or so. I may spray a 100 shot down the road.

Last edited by southspeed; 07-26-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

I have had great luck with the Ls9x clutch from katech. I've heard the monster slips great as well but the triple disc not the twin....that's coming from monster themselves. Using the Katech Unit I have been as low as 1.401 in my 60ft and really believe that a 1.38 is not a impossible feat given the right track prep and weather. It drives extremely well and daily's like a OEM unit because it is. It is very hard to suggest a clutch to someone because for the money, you don't wanna be wrong. Very rare do you hear bad things about mantic, and have seen a few guys really like that mcleod unit too. Do some research, call some of the suppliers. That 100 shot will add a lot of torque so that may narrow the field a bit.
Good luck

Last edited by rpmextra; 07-26-2016 at 11:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
southspeed (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Unfortunately, the ones that seem to hold up to track abuse don't slip much.... I can tell u that on the street the RXT is more than adequate from a slip standpoint.
The following 2 users liked this post by rio95:
southspeed (07-26-2016), TRSCobra (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpmextra
I have had great luck with the Ls9x clutch from katech. I've heard the monster slips great as well but the triple disc not the twin....that's coming from monster themselves. Using the Katech Unit I have been as low as 1.401 in my 60ft and really believe that a 1.38 is not a impossible feat given the right track prep and weather. It drives extremely well and daily's like a OEM unit because it is. It is very hard to suggest a clutch to someone because for the money, you don't wanna be wrong. Very rare do you hear bad things about mantic, and have seen a few guys really like that mcleod unit too. Do some research, call some of the suppliers. That 100 shot will add a lot of torque so that may narrow the field a bit.
Good luck
Are you sure they said the lt1s was not good to be slipped? I think maybe you mean the sc? Monster told me to either go with the lt1s or lt1s triple if I want to slip but not the sc because it doesn't like the heat. A lot of people on the fast list have the rxt but I wonder if the rst will be just as good for me since I don't need to hold a thousand or so ft/lbs.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:56 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by southspeed
Are you sure they said the lt1s was not good to be slipped? I think maybe you mean the sc? Monster told me to either go with the lt1s or lt1s triple if I want to slip but not the sc because it doesn't like the heat. A lot of people on the fast list have the rxt but I wonder if the rst will be just as good for me since I don't need to hold a thousand or so ft/lbs.
the LT1-S is the triple. I can't find the emails from last fall but I think I was inquiring between the twin LT1-SC and the triple LT1-S. the triple being organic I was told it will take the slip far better

Last edited by rpmextra; 07-27-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Dual disks you can't really slip well, but like stated above ls9 clutch you can dog the **** out of it I would def upgrade fluids and everything else. Its I believe a little lighter than the stocker...
Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 AM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

They make a twin and a triple in the lt1s. I believe the triple is just rated for more power. Same materials though. It's funny with the ls9 I hear tons of bad stuff but then I also hear good things so I don't know what to think. Those 60ft times from rpmextra are really impressive. Are you slipping it out of the whole at all? Did you decide on it over the monsters or were you gonna upgrade from it to a monster. The triple is probably perfect for me but a little bit overkill at the moment and a good bit more money than the twin. Plus its heavier so I don't think you see any power gains from it. May even lose some.
rpmextra (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

You will destroy an RST at the track. The RXT is a good clutch and works well on the street and strip. With that said, we run an RPS twin. This clutch is very easily slipped on the street and has produced outstanding results at the track.
southspeed (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
Unfortunately, the ones that seem to hold up to track abuse don't slip much.... I can tell u that on the street the RXT is more than adequate from a slip standpoint.
My RXT slips fine too.
southspeed (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:34 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Another RXT here and it just takes a beating at the drag strip. I've got 60+ drag launches and close to 10k street miles and it just keeps taking it.
southspeed (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Keep looking. Be absolutely sure you are getting the the best for the application and don't let a couple of $ sway your decision. To much $ at stake (materials and labor) to get it wrong. There is nothing I hate more then doing the same job over again
southspeed (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:22 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Another RXT here and it just takes a beating at the drag strip. I've got 60+ drag launches and close to 10k street miles and it just keeps taking it.

How are you launching yours? Did you have any problems with the install? What scares me is a lot of people have had issues having to reinstall it but I hear its a great clutch when done right.

I've heard great things about monsters customer service which makes me want to buy from them but they say the sc should not be slipped and I'm not sure the lt1s with hold the power if I decide to spray it.

Gary, I hear you on the rps on the street but from your videos it looks like you have to pretty much dump it at the track right?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:56 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

They make a twin and a triple in the lt1s. I believe the triple is just rated for more power. Same materials though. It's funny with the ls9 I hear tons of bad stuff but then I also hear good things so I don't know what to think. Those 60ft times from rpmextra are really impressive. Are you slipping it out of the whole at all? Did you decide on it over the monsters or were you gonna upgrade from it to a monster. The triple is probably perfect for me but a little bit overkill at the moment and a good bit more money than the twin. Plus its heavier so I don't think you see any power gains from it. May even lose some.
Thank you. yes using the ls9x clutch I slip it enough to let my drag radials bite. with a good prep day i can run 1.40-1.42 all day long 9/10 runs. Gary will tell you that you are better served with a bias ply tire in a stick car and maybe down the road I'll give it a shot. for now i need to be able to drive to and from the track without swapping rims.
To answer your other question, I had a zr1 clutch, went through it, tried another brand had very bad luck, and went back to the zr1 because at least I knew what to expect. I almost went with monster but Didn't. Now fast forward to today, after much thought, I ordered something else and will wait to see results before praising them as I don't want to bash any brand just because it didn't work me. The lsx9 is great but like everything, has it's limits. I ask too much from it and it surprises me every time. I am trying something else in hopes of giving me some expansion room and better suit my slightly higher rpm needs.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Organic disk clutches will not last being slipped or tracked. I'd recommend a Mantic with the heavier flywheel option or the RXT with steel flywheel.

I have around 4,000 street miles and a handful of mid 6 second 1/8th mile time slips and it hasn't missed a beat at 760-800rwhp.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:33 PM
meatheadgn
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had great luck with the RXT. The car ran a 10.30 @ 137 in 6000 ft DA and launched great with a little slip.

There are several good clutches out there at varying degrees of expense.

The RXT seemed to be the best for my application for the cost.

The install was straightforward and I had no issues.

Last edited by meatheadgn; 07-27-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

How are you launching yours? Did you have any problems with the install? What scares me is a lot of people have had issues having to reinstall it but I hear its a great clutch when done right.

I've heard great things about monsters customer service which makes me want to buy from them but they say the sc should not be slipped and I'm not sure the lt1s with hold the power if I decide to spray it.

Gary, I hear you on the rps on the street but from your videos it looks like you have to pretty much dump it at the track right?
Not at all. Dumping this clutch would cause carnage at high rpm. For racing in competition, I generally set my 2 step low (2200-2500 rpm) and dump the clutch for reaction time on a bias ply tire. This can be somewhat hard on the drivetrain. I did once break a CV axle in qualifying and had to work quickly to make eliminations. A long time ago, I tried to launch off my 2 step at 4500 rpm on DRs in the same manner during a Corvette Challenge race in the semi-finals. That trick caused my car to move about 2' and promptly destroyed the spider gears. I learned not to do that again.
As for my ET chasing passes, I do and (must) slip the clutch but you need wheelspin also. (That is the tricky part.) I have been fortunate that this rear has held up for numerous years now. I have went through some CV axles but they are usually only a minor inconvenience. The launches may seem violent but I assure you they are not. A mid 1.3 is as smooth as silk but will not look like an auto car. Bottom line is that this clutch has served me well on both the street and the 500 or so passes down the strip.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:48 PM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Monster LT1-S Triple on the way for my h/c/i c6z. I also had the Monster LT1-R Twin Disc in my TT C5z and had great luck with that clutch as well. I will always vote for Monster as they not only put out great products, but have the best customer service in the business IMO. Clutch should be in soon and I'll report back, but have had a few friends with the same clutch that love it and say its not too hard to slip at the track.

Get notified of new replies

To I need a clutch that I can slip.....

Old 07-27-2016, 05:16 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade from my stock clutch to a twin but don't want an on/off clutch. I want something I can slip a little while daily driving and slip at the dragstrip a bit to help save the diff and axles. Right now I'm looking at the monster lt1 s and the rst from mcleod. If there are others I should be looking at let me know. Can the mantic 9000 be slipped? I've made up my mind to stay away from centerforce dyad through reading online. Any others to look at?

Forgot to mention its a head cam car making 580 or so. I may spray a 100 shot down the road.
For your setup the LT1-S Street Twin would be perfect. It's rated for 700WHP/TQ, but it can be easily modulated for launching.

If you wanted to go over kill you can run the LT1-S Triple. The only real difference is price. Both can easily be slipped, take abuse, and heat like champs. The Twin S will free up some power, where as the triple will remain basically the same.

Give us a shout if you have any questions. (817-750-2000)

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Dual disks you can't really slip well, but like stated above ls9 clutch you can dog the **** out of it I would def upgrade fluids and everything else. Its I believe a little lighter than the stocker...
The amount of discs in a clutch do not determine how easy it is to modulate, its mostly due to the friction material.

While rpmextra has had success, with his LS9. There are more guys, that have had dangerous failures with those units.

Also the stock LS7 clutch is about 56LBS, where as the LS9 is close to 65LBS, so not even close to being lighter.

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Thank you. yes using the ls9x clutch I slip it enough to let my drag radials bite. with a good prep day i can run 1.40-1.42 all day long 9/10 runs. Gary will tell you that you are better served with a bias ply tire in a stick car and maybe down the road I'll give it a shot. for now i need to be able to drive to and from the track without swapping rims.
To answer your other question, I had a zr1 clutch, went through it, tried another brand had very bad luck, and went back to the zr1 because at least I knew what to expect. I almost went with monster but Didn't. Now fast forward to today, after much thought, I ordered something else and will wait to see results before praising them as I don't want to bash any brand just because it didn't work me. The lsx9 is great but like everything, has it's limits. I ask too much from it and it surprises me every time. I am trying something else in hopes of giving me some expansion room and better suit my slightly higher rpm needs.
rpmextra I remember talking to you back in September. Just curious why did you not go with a Monster, back then?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Z 8 U
I have a Monster LT1-S Triple on the way for my h/c/i c6z. I also had the Monster LT1-R Twin Disc in my TT C5z and had great luck with that clutch as well. I will always vote for Monster as they not only put out great products, but have the best customer service in the business IMO. Clutch should be in soon and I'll report back, but have had a few friends with the same clutch that love it and say its not too hard to slip at the track.
Thanks for the post C5Z 8 U!!

Keep us posted with the new setup!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:48 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SNL/MonsterClutchCo
rpmextra I remember talking to you back in September. Just curious why did you not go with a Monster, back then?
Great memory lol, Busted I guess. To be as honest as can be, despite your more than generous offer on the deal with the Triple, I had gone through 2 clutches in a week and was looking at a 3rd amongst having a fire at work and being laid off until repairs. I just couldn't afford another (canadian dollar in the toilet) and the rebuild kit for the LSx9 ran me about 500+/- so on my budget at that time it was the best option. I have some contacts here on the forum using your clutches and they seem to have great success. There are many clutches on the market and it's damn hard to decide. I try to stay away from telling people which to buy, because I too fell victim to listening to someone praise a brand and it lasted all of 1 weekend. OP asked about a clutch that can be slipped, and I know for sure that the Zr1 can be and often. however knowing that he wants to maybe run a 100 shot the clutch may fall short.

Quick Reply: [Z06] I need a clutch that I can slip.....