Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Failed wiggle test

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:28 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

quick hint---when it is time to replace your heads---make SURE the drivers side exhaust header is already in place! Once the head is reinstalled there is not enough room to put the header in from up top. I was on jack stands so putting the exhaust header back in from the bottom was a PIA.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Cut a slot in the PS reservoir bracket so it slides off without removing the bolts. Makes it much easier for the next time.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:00 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
A good ammount of people run the crower, T&D, or Jessel rockers without issues. Just pricey for most builds.
I was speaking specifically to these:

I haven't seen anyone incorporate these adjustable pedestal mount T&D's into their build...at least on CF anyways. Michael D did some research on these in another thread a while back and supposedly they have only been around for a couple years, but aren't listed in their catalogue of parts: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591925170

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Crowers are a nice peice at a decent price point for what they are.
We like they but as mentioned by Unreal they can be "taxing" on some budgets.

If your on a budget a nice upgrade is the bronze bushings to the stock rocker arms. We recently started installing the bronze rocker bushings in house.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Kohle, did you ever pick up a set of these T&D's to experiment with? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591944304

Last edited by MTPZ06; 08-24-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:26 AM
etazbaz
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Finally got the alternator bracket off the head. what a PITA. Did it w/o removing the ABS module. Thanks to others for the tip. Going to cut a slot in the PS reservoir bracket.

Question: can I remove the heads w/o removing the headers. Can they be pried away from the block w/o damaging the exhaust system? Don't really want to jack up the car if I don't have to.

P.S. Going to feel like a hero if I manage to put everything back together and she runs the first time out. To be honest, I will never do this again. I would rather pay someone then go through the aggravation.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by etazbaz
Finally got the alternator bracket off the head. what a PITA. Did it w/o removing the ABS module. Thanks to others for the tip. Going to cut a slot in the PS reservoir bracket.

Question: can I remove the heads w/o removing the headers. Can they be pried away from the block w/o damaging the exhaust system? Don't really want to jack up the car if I don't have to.

P.S. Going to feel like a hero if I manage to put everything back together and she runs the first time out. To be honest, I will never do this again. I would rather pay someone then go through the aggravation.
If by "headers" you mean the factory manifolds then yes you can remove the heads without removing the factory manifolds/exhaust.
There are 3 connections on the factory "headers". 1-connection from manifold to head. 2- connection from manifold to catalytic converter. 3-connection from collector (tube right after catalytic converter) to the factory H pipe. You want to first remove the two bolts (one each side) from connection 3 (see above). unscrew the two nuts at connection 3 but leave the nuts connected to the studs by a few threads. Now unbolt connection 1 (see above) and push them to the side (you DO NOT have to pry them in any way).

Edit: Just looked at your pics. Follow above and your good to go.
Make sure to use an ARP thread chase to chase out the head bolt holes so the new head bolts can be torqued to their correct specs. We keep the ARP chase's in stock if you need one.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 08-25-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

after it is all over and done you will be glad you did it yourself---you learn a LOT.
Much good info on the forum about this. I put my car up on stands so I wouldn't have to bend over so much Lol. I also deleted my oil cooler at the same time---I don't road race the car. One of the best things I have ever done to it.
Label your pushrods and lifters so you are sure of replacing them back in the same spot.
Also it is always a good idea to get new lifter trays---they are cheap.
While you are add it--the one thing I didn't do I wish I had is to send your fuel injectors out for cleaning and "balancing"--- then put the richest one in the Number 7 cylinder position.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by olddragger
after it is all over and done you will be glad you did it yourself---you learn a LOT.
Much good info on the forum about this. I put my car up on stands so I wouldn't have to bend over so much Lol. I also deleted my oil cooler at the same time---I don't road race the car. One of the best things I have ever done to it.
Label your pushrods and lifters so you are sure of replacing them back in the same spot.
Also it is always a good idea to get new lifter trays---they are cheap.
While you are add it--the one thing I didn't do I wish I had is to send your fuel injectors out for cleaning and "balancing"--- then put the richest one in the Number 7 cylinder position.
Thanks for the tip on injectors and lifter trays. I bagged and tagged the rockers, plugs, wire but did not do that with the pushrods. How big a deal is that? Why put the richest one in cylinder 7?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:56 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Those are your "Raw" measurements, correct? Meaning...

0.0060/2 - 0.0005 = 0.0025
0.0085/2 - 0.0005 = 0.00375

If so, your intake is "in spec", but the exhaust is pretty much at service limit considering margin for error on the wiggle test. Having said that...GM's "in spec" means nothing to me since its obvious that their quality assurance was all but absent with these cylinder heads. I still think pulling the heads and sending to somewhere like AHP for their very budget friendly package #4 is a wise choice. You will sleep much better knowing you have a good set of properly machined/concentric heads on your car.

No Brainer!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:20 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by etazbaz
Why put the richest one in cylinder 7?
It's been shown to be the leanest based on airflow/intake design. #7 sleeve failure is by far the most prevalent cylinder when knock/detonation occurs (lean condition).
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Buy new lifters.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:30 AM
etazbaz
Racer

Recap: Just bought this car 2 weeks ago. 2008 Z06 completely stock w/ 36k mostly highway miles. Never tracked. Oil changed every 3000 miles.

The measurements were taken with the heads removed. Three were at service limit and one of them was out of spec. Based on these measurements not sure if I would drop a valve. But I sure will enjoy the car a lot more not worrying about what if.

At first I said I didn't want any more power but getting the heads out was so much work that it may not be a bad idea to get a new cam since most of the work is already done. Not sure how much additional work swapping cams is. I am planning on replacing the lifters and trays as well. Do I need to replace the pushrods or rockers? I saw slight cupping at the pushrod interface on some of the rockers. The valve interface on the rockers had some burnishing but looked pretty good and was smooth to the touch.

What cam would you recommend that would not affect driveability but give the motor more bite? This car is used on the street 98% of the time for my 2 mile commute and I will probably do a few auto-x and HPDE events next year.

Sending the heads off to AH next week.
Attached Images     

Last edited by etazbaz; 08-28-2016 at 02:14 AM. Reason: fixed pics
Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Custom spec an endurance lobe cam from EPS or Cam Motion...my vote anyways. Kohle at AHP can certainly help you spec a cam to meet your needs. This way, you have a valve train set up with parts that should all work in unison...right springs for cam, etc.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 08-29-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Well, the reality is a head swap and a cam swap are two different sets of tasks, not a lot of overlap between the two, other than pulling the rockers and re-filling the radiator.

If you decide to wait on the cam swap, you aren't losing much in invested labor.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-29-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Well, the reality is a head swap and a cam swap are two different sets of tasks, not a lot of overlap between the two, other than pulling the rockers and re-filling the radiator.

If you decide to wait on the cam swap, you aren't losing much in invested labor.
perfect, succinct answer! Thanks.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Kohle, did you ever pick up a set of these T&D's to experiment with? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591944304
We did not. I had it on the list but we have not gotten to them yet.
Was it you that purchased a set of these? What are your impressions? quality/construction, ect....?
Correction now that I think about it maybe it was Tony that purchased a set of those. I will see if I can get in touch with him and get his feedback on those rockers.

Last edited by American Heritage; 08-29-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by American Heritage
We did not. I had it on the list but we have not gotten to them yet.
Was it you that purchased a set of these? What are your impressions? quality/construction, ect....?
Correction now that I think about it maybe it was Tony that purchased a set of those. I will see if I can get in touch with him and get his feedback on those rockers.
No, we sent my stockers out to CHE...these weren't on my radar when I dropped my car off with you.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

After its all said and done, you'll have a better relationship with your motor for doing all that work yourself

Get notified of new replies

To Failed wiggle test

Old 08-29-2016, 09:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
After its all said and done, you'll have a better relationship with your motor for doing all that work yourself
Kudos to you OP for being this deep into the motor, and conducting what appears to be an accurate wiggle test after only owning the car for a couple weeks.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:27 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

OP, based on the measurements, these are the best in spec valve measurements I've seen. It would be good to measure the valve guides directly to see how the measurements compare since you have the heads off.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
OP, based on the measurements, these are the best in spec valve measurements I've seen. It would be good to measure the valve guides directly to see how the measurements compare since you have the heads off.
Do you mean using a bore gauge?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Failed wiggle test