Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Powershift vs. Granny-shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by c5racr1
I didn't see it listed for any corvettes. Do you have one?
You don't even need that. You can adjust the tune very easily with hptuners or similar. Many people power shift without even touching the tune. I personally tuned my car for it and love it. One of the best mods I've done!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
You don't even need that. You can adjust the tune very easily with hptuners or similar. Many people power shift without even touching the tune. I personally tuned my car for it and love it. One of the best mods I've done!
Could you please explain how you "tuned" for powershifting? I'm quite familiar with the scalars and tables in HPs software, and I don't know how cutting RPM at WOT is possible with the available tables.

And yes, I have a WOT box. It worked amazing in my cobra, and just as amazing in my ZO6. When you get it (if you get it), buy it directly from John on his site. I'm not sure if he's a vendor here and I don't want to get pee-pee slapped for posting a link. Google N2MB Wot box, and his will be the first site that comes up.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:48 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin04
Could you please explain how you "tuned" for powershifting? I'm quite familiar with the scalars and tables in HPs software, and I don't know how cutting RPM at WOT is possible with the available tables.

And yes, I have a WOT box. It worked amazing in my cobra, and just as amazing in my ZO6. When you get it (if you get it), buy it directly from John on his site. I'm not sure if he's a vendor here and I don't want to get pee-pee slapped for posting a link. Google N2MB Wot box, and his will be the first site that comes up.
I read through their description and it sounds like a very good thing to have for drag racing. It also reminded me of the LNC003 that I currently have in my car. I have launch control setup on it and every time I shift above my launch rpm, it cuts off spark creating a nice ball fire when I let off the clutch. This seems to be what the WOT does. Am I understanding this correctly? Maybe my LNC003 can be used at a WOT.

I don't usually powershift as to not break anything, but crap breaks anyways sooo....

Last edited by NachosZO6; 08-26-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

My tuner tried several different ways of doing this but when I shifted fast I'd always get a lag time with no throttle. Eventually I told him to remove it.

Can you explain how you set up the programming?

Thanks

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-26-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

For WOT shifting, some have used HP Tuners to set the park/neutral limiter to 6500 +/- RPM, so when the clutch pedal is depressed the computer tries to pull the RPM's down to that set value...usually by pulling spark. This allows you to keep the throttle blade wide open with fuel spraying, with the accelerator matted.

For me, I had enough seat time in my car that I had pretty good hand/foot coordination so I could row the gears while lifting slightly to help the synchro mesh. As soon as you push in the clutch, you've decoupled the engine from the rear wheels anyways so having the engine rev freely into the limiter doesn't do you any good. When the clutch is let out at WOT and the clutch bites, you either shock the tires out of traction or pull the engine RPM's down to whatever the car's driveline gearing will let the engine have anyways.....the same RPM your "granny shift" will accomplish.

WOT shifting makes sense to me for f/i cars (especially turbo) where you need to maintain the boost pressures at the manifold/throttle blade....N/A and stock tranny, not so much IF you have the skills.

that's my .02

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 08-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

If a RPM device is needed to powershift, the shift isn't being performed right.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
If a RPM device is needed to powershift, the shift isn't being performed right.
I couldn't disagree more. The device just ensures that you aren't shredding parts when you're banging gears hard. A device has nothing to do with shifting technique.

But hey, some people just don't need to care because they never miss a gear.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:53 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't need a WOT box in your vette... The people talking about doing it through HP tuners are right and it's the best way to go ... That's what I've had done... I had a wot box and the car actually went slower... I almost always power shift my car when racing and I have zero issues... My transmission was looked at when I swapped out my diff and it was perfect after over 50 passes power shifting...

Last edited by LS7 BUD; 08-26-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:25 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin

If u have hptuners and want me to show u shoot me a PM with ur email.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:15 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Everyone has an opinion I guess but I wouldn't power shift a street car without having the No-lift shift
feature.

i bet the new M7 tranny totally changes the confidence level of drivers in this regard though. My T-56 is pretty darn clunky at times. Need that MGW shifter...

Last edited by fueledpassion; 08-27-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

If u have hptuners and want me to show u shoot me a PM with ur email.
PM Sent.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:53 PM
ChrisM4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting answers... so it seems that most people who use their Z0 for **drag** are using some sort of tuner to add no lift shift?

Pros and Cons?
Old 08-27-2016, 03:54 PM
ChrisM4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
You don't need a WOT box in your vette... The people talking about doing it through HP tuners are right and it's the best way to go ... That's what I've had done... I had a wot box and the car actually went slower... I almost always power shift my car when racing and I have zero issues... My transmission was looked at when I swapped out my diff and it was perfect after over 50 passes power shifting...
Can you elaborate about the HP tuner way of adding no lift shift?
Old 08-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Im more concerned about missing a gear when powershifting or No lift shifting that fast . So i just shift quickly but nothing crazy.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Never did get a PM'd response about HP tuning...

Either way the WOT box is better because not only can you powershift at any rpm (gets input from the clutch pedal) and adjust how long the rpm kill is on (also has a default mode which is faster than trying to find a good MS delay), it also is an adjustable two step launch controller (from 1K-14K RPM) and nitrous controller, all of which are adjustable WITHOUT needing a retune. Meaning you can adjust launch RPM from pass to pass with just the push of a button. The nitrous control alone justifies the purchase price (especially if you're a nitrous car LOL!). The same CANNOT be said for HP tuning about features, function, or ease of use.

I've never met ANYONE slower at the track AFTER the install of the WOT box. Perhaps the previous poster just didn't have the best settings to run faster. I personally picked up 4 tenths in my mustang...haven't had a chance to take her down the track installed in the Z yet.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 08-28-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I couldn't disagree more. The device just ensures that you aren't shredding parts when you're banging gears hard. A device has nothing to do with shifting technique.

But hey, some people just don't need to care because they never miss a gear.
How does that device ensure the driver doesn't shred gears during a power-shift?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Either way the WOT box is better because not only can you powershift at any rpm (gets input from the clutch pedal) and adjust how long the rpm kill is on (also has a default mode which is faster than trying to find a good MS delay), it also is an adjustable two step launch controller (from 1K-14K RPM) and nitrous controller, all of which are adjustable WITHOUT needing a retune. Meaning you can adjust launch RPM from pass to pass with just the push of a button. The nitrous control alone justifies the purchase price (especially if you're a nitrous car LOL!). The same CANNOT be said for HP tuning about features, function, or ease of use.

I've never met ANYONE slower at the track AFTER the install of the WOT box. Perhaps the previous poster just didn't have the best settings to run faster. I personally picked up 4 tenths in my mustang...haven't had a chance to take her down the track installed in the Z yet.

I had it on the lowest setting... I even confirmed it with my laptop... Had a N2MB... As for how it was done through HP tuners I don't know exactly... My tuner James Short of Shortuning did it... Call and ask them...

Get notified of new replies

To Powershift vs. Granny-shift

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 AM
SlowCorvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer not to break things
Old 08-29-2016, 01:04 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Telling you to PM me was a terrible idea, because I ended up getting a LOT of PMs. I responded to one, but didn't realize it wasn't you.

I'll just explain here so people stop PMing me:

The main thing you change, as someone already mentioned, is reduce the neutral and park rev limiters to something lower than your actual limiter (i.e. 500-700 RPM lower). The exact delta isn't too critical.

Then most will want to adjust the control method to pull spark only, so make spark enabled and fuel disabled. I personally also changed the switchover to 10 and the cutoff hysteresis to 25 rpm.

I also have my extreme cutoff 100 rpm higher than my limiter in all gears and the extreme resume 20 rpm above that same limiter.

That's it! Takes less than a minute to make these changes and it works great. It's probably worth pointing out that these setting will making speed shifting normally, not as good. It'll feel less smooth.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:06 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06Qazi
Im more concerned about missing a gear when powershifting or No lift shifting that fast . So i just shift quickly but nothing crazy.

I've done it once or twice and it wasn't that big of a deal. This is why it's good to tune for it so the limiter can help save you.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Powershift vs. Granny-shift