Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Zo6 or C6 Z51?

Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Your friend is wrong. Just look at the model number. The Z51 is more better than the Z06 because its 45 points higher.
The following users liked this post:
Z2Z (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

If you're going to do a blower by Z51 put some really sticky R888s on it, and take the top off and kill it. And if you really want to kill it put some gears in it.

I have a z51 set up for the track and I have yet to encounter a Z06 that isn't a roadblock. Don't buy into the hype.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

I have a z51 set up for the track and I have yet to encounter a Z06 that isn't a roadblock. Don't buy into the hype.
LOL...suuuuurrrreeeeeeeee
Old 08-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LFZ
LOL...suuuuurrrreeeeeeeee
Your ignorance to how things are at the racetrack is amusing.
Why don't you take your car to the track and get back with me?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 PM
JoppaTheHut
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The first question is how you intend to use the car for the upgrades you'd consider.
There's a world of difference in performance and $$$ spent.
. It will not be a daily driver but will be street/strip. My friend wants to turbo his c6 z51 but I was thinking originally about a supercharger I want at least 800whp and I just don't know what car to get c5zo6, or c6zo6, or a zr1 the zr1 would be around the top of the budget I want to stay around 70k or any of the cars. That's the price of the car included. I am just not sure what route to go. There are so many options but I want the most bang for my buck haha
Old 08-26-2016, 11:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JoppaTheHut
. It will not be a daily driver but will be street/strip. My friend wants to turbo his c6 z51 but I was thinking originally about a supercharger I want at least 800whp and I just don't know what car to get c5zo6, or c6zo6, or a zr1 the zr1 would be around the top of the budget I want to stay around 70k or any of the cars. That's the price of the car included. I am just not sure what route to go. There are so many options but I want the most bang for my buck haha
For around $60-66K you can get a low mile '09-'10 ZR1 and have enough left for a couple of power mods.
Advantages:
1. Other than tires it doesn't take much to run low 10's at the track.
2. You'll retain high value with minimum mods needed
3. It's a kickass car that has really good street manners
4. It's far more reliable than a heavily modded car of similar power

Disadvantages:
1 Higher insurance rates
2.It uses up the majority of your budget.
3.Unless your track turns a blind eye to minor mods like headers and pulley (and you claim it's stock), you'll need a rollbar and possibly several other items, depending on how close they go by the rulebook. (however, your buddy's turbo car is pretty sure to require it all, since the turbo is obviously a major non-factory mod)

Two really nice examples currently in the C6 for Sale forum.

Additional thoughts:
Forget that 800 HP number as the importance pales in relation to the cost, reliability, and streetability. The important number is on a timeslip.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 PM
JoppaTheHut
5th Gear

For around $60-66K you can get a low mile '09-'10 ZR1 and have enough left for a couple of power mods.
Advantages:
1. Other than tires it doesn't take much to run low 10's at the track.
2. You'll retain high value with minimum mods needed
3. It's a kickass car that has really good street manners
4. It's far more reliable than a heavily modded car of similarpower

Disadvantages:
1 Higher insurance rates
2.It uses up the majority of your budget.
3.Unless your track turns a blind eye to minor mods like headers and pulley (and you claim it's stock), you'll need a rollbar and possibly several other items, depending on how close they go by the rulebook. (however, your buddy's turbo car is pretty sure to require it all, since the turbo is obviously a major non-factory mod)

Two really nice examples currently in the C6 for Sale forum.

Additional thoughts:
Forget that 800 HP number as the importance pales in relation to the cost, reliability, and streetability. The important number is on a timeslip.
very good input thank you that makes sense and I agree
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

Have you driven a vette with 800whp?

Scary and handful comes to mind.

Better be running drag radials all the time on an 18" wheel.

Where are you located? I bet there are a few members around you who wouldnt mind giving you a ride in various cars.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're going to do a blower by Z51 put some really sticky R888s on it, and take the top off and kill it. And if you really want to kill it put some gears in it.

not sure if serious?

kill it with gear ratio?

so Z06s are road blocks now? gotta be that Valve Plaqued LS7
Old 08-27-2016, 10:26 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

to OP

if you have 65-70K get the ZR1

very simple
Old 08-27-2016, 10:38 AM
metalmind1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets go to the road course and see what happens. Anybody can make big power and go fast in a straight line. Real men turn left and right too!

Your silly if you think your gonna come into the z06 forum and try to say a z51 is better. LOL!!
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by metalmind1
Lets go to the road course and see what happens. Anybody can make big power and go fast in a straight line. Real men turn left and right too!

Your silly if you think your gonna come into the z06 forum and try to say a z51 is better. LOL!!
u are wrong!!!! he has "really" Sticky tires ( toyo r888, and i wonder how he made then "really sticky" ) and he is all "GEARED UP"!!!!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:47 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Somehow I've noticed "real men" turn right or left at the end of a 300 MPH pass at dragstrips and salt flats too. I'd guess you'd run away scared before getting strapped in a AA/FD or LSR car that "anybody" can drive.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 PM
JoppaTheHut
5th Gear

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Have you driven a vette with 800whp?

Scary and handful comes to mind.

Better be running drag radials all the time on an 18" wheel.

Where are you located? I bet there are a few members around you who wouldnt mind giving you a ride in various cars.
no I have not but I have driven a few high HP cars. I am located in western north Carolina and yet again thanks for the input
Old 08-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Like any situation, the answer is always, "it depends."

Being a ZO6 lover...I'm kind of biased. But only YOU know what you want from the car. Once you have goals or uses in mind, only then can you start narrowing down your decision.

After reading...I still say ZO6. H/C/I/E/Blower will in all but a few cases easily surpass 800 rw. As others have said, if the tune is good, pistons aren't necessary...BUT, they wouldn't hurt either. That decision maybe the ONLY part that leans the decision towards the ZR1. And when you say street/strip...that usually means more street than strip. For the power you're wanting and the budget you have, I wouldn't even consider a Z51. The ZR1 with some mods will get you close to 800, but it's not as simple as a pulley swap and a tune. With that being said, I believe when you select the parts you need to reach your goal, I bet ya the ZO6 will have beat out the ZR1 as far as cheaper overall cost to reach 800. By how much is anyone's best guess, but I'd bet you'd have enough left over (going the ZO6 route) for some tires, which you WILL need.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 08-27-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:47 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Roll bar times. Roll cage doesn't start until 9.99..
Tracks ive been to are 10.99. I think thats nhra rules? Wru that 9.99 is ok wo cage? Curious, ill never install a cage, but will run 10's.

Last edited by ratomicZ06; 08-28-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by ratomicZ06
Tracks ive been to are 10.99. I think thats nhra rules? Wru that 9.99 is ok wo cage? Curious, ill never install a cage, but will run 10's.
All the NHRA rulebooks I still have in this century state roll bar required from 10.00 to 11.49 with a max speed of 135 and roll cage 9.99 and quicker.

Here's a quick reference chart from the 2016 rulebook.
http://atcodragway.rocks/wp-content/...eCard_2016.pdf

In 2013 included this change:
"Additionally requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

The Unaltered is not defined and is left up to the discretion of individual track operators. The picky tracks generally allow tire/wheel mods and anything they can't see or hear (cam lope), while other tracks let a lot of stuff pass even if the car is older than 2008.

My local track in Phoenix is extremely picky and wants to check everything. For someone want to race the Street Legal, they even check registration to verify it's a 2008+ and won't allow something as simple as a muffler change. However, I recently went to the Lucas Oil track in Indianapolis (the site of NHRA Nationals since 1961) and they didn't even bother to check my helmet.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Zo6 or C6 Z51?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

I don't think a Z51 is better than a Z06.

I think the LS3 is a better engine for SCing (so did GM apparently) and the $ saved buys a lot of go fast parts.which seems to be the OPs focus.

At the track once your car is set up well, it's all about the driver. I'm a fast driver in a well set up car. I have yet to encounter a Z06 on the track that wasn't several seconds a lap slower than me. I'm sure there are plenty that are driven well but I love bitch slapping them because so many novice Z06 owners think their car is so superior that they are going to pass everyone on the track. LOL

As far as you and I meeting at the track, I'd love to. If you are one of the top 1-3 driver's of the day, we can play together, and if you are faster than me, it's not because of my Z51 being inferior to your Z06, it's because you are a superior driver. Or my Z06 brakes died again in 3 laps!

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-28-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think a Z51 is better than a Z06.

I think the LS3 is a better engine for SCing (so did GM apparently) and the $ saved buys a lot of go fast parts.which seems to be the OPs focus.

At the track once your car is set up well, it's all about the driver. I'm a fast driver in a well set up car. I have yet to encounter a Z06 on the track that wasn't several seconds a lap slower than me. I'm sure there are plenty that are driven well but I love bitch slapping them because so many novice Z06 owners think their car is so superior that they are going to pass everyone on the track. LOL

As far as you and I meeting at the track, I'd love to. If you are one of the top 1-3 driver's of the day, we can play together, and if you are faster than me, it's not because of my Z51 being inferior to your Z06, it's because you are a superior driver. Or my Z06 brakes died again in 3 laps!
imagine how fast youd be in a well setup z06...lol
Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by njk4o5
imagine how fast youd be in a well setup z06...lol
Z06 is a waste of money

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Zo6 or C6 Z51?