Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Test drove a c7z06 auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Test drove a c7z06 auto

enjoyed my test drive of a c7z automatic.
Liked the low end grunt. Liked the seats , the back up and curb camera

didnt like the auto transmission hunting around for gears. The lt4 is not as rev happy as the ls7. didn't like the dash board .

going from my 375hp Zr-1 to my 505 hp z06 felt like a huge difference in performance. going from 505 hp to 650hp z07 didn't feel like a huge difference.

I actually think my c6z06 with its fixed roof felt a little tighter and seemed to creak less then the c7z06.

For now I am going to wait to see what the mid engine c8 will be like. And there is news of a front engine c7 zr1 with 700+ hp coming in 2017.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (08-28-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 01:11 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

They actually let people test drive z06s? Was it used or something? I'm glad to hear it's not night vs day power difference.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:00 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
They actually let people test drive z06s? Was it used or something? I'm glad to hear it's not night vs day power difference.
My local dealer had a C7Z06 on the showroom floor. They had signs all around it: DO NOT TOUCH I was scared to go within 10 feet of it, much less drive it. I got in my car and left.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE=LMB-Z;1592937433]My local dealer had a C7Z06 on the showroom floor. They had signs all around it: DO NOT TOUCH I was scared to go within 10 feet of it, much less drive it. I got in my car and left.[/QUOT

Yep! Most of these dealers didn't get the memo that they made 22000 of them so far!!! They are not rare. They act, and so do most C7z owners, like they have one of the 4500 Zr1's??!! 22000. They are on lots everywhere, the fever is over, and the results were a little disappointing being supercharged and heat issues. Improved in many aspects happy GM stepped up, but an ultimate track car shouldn't get trashed in all the magazines, and have heat issues requiring 7K dollars worth of upgrades from LG to be able to track it. My friend just bought a 911 Porsche and saw 3 new Zo6's on the lot. He mentioned it and the salesmen told him they had 2 more in back! I too am awaiting the next motor.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Im courious about that also. When I got mine they werent giving test drives. When I asked why the salesman said if they did there would be a line out the door. Also at that time they were getting $15,000 over sticker. I got mine from someone who couldnt handle the payments . He brought it back and they resold it as a used car to me for 69,000 with 1363 on the clock
Old 08-27-2016, 09:49 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

didnt like the auto transmission hunting around for gears. The lt4 is not as rev happy as the ls7. didn't like the dash board .

going from my 375hp Zr-1 to my 505 hp z06 felt like a huge difference in performance. going from 505 hp to 650hp z07 didn't feel like a huge difference.

I actually think my c6z06 with its fixed roof felt a little tighter and seemed to creak less then the c7z06.

For now I am going to wait to see what the mid engine c8 will be like. And there is news of a front engine c7 zr1 with 700+ hp coming in 2017.
During the spring a buddy let me drive his C7Z with the M7. Out of respect for him and his car (he doesn't beat on it) I didn't run it hard. I would imagine all hell breaks loose when you drop the hammer but I've never even felt that as a passenger in his car.

I felt secure in the seat but a bit more confined. Lots of features to play with vs. our C6Zs. I did get to drive a curvy canyon road for 15-20 minutes. Turn in was nice and it felt a bit more composed over bumps with the softer settings. Overall a nice drive but it didn't feel significantly different from mine, certainly not enough for me to justify the price tag. Only when I got into mine later that day did I notice how much lighter and more nimble mine felt. I thought it was interesting that I didn't notice the extra weight while driving the C7.

I can understand why the C7Z guys would love their cars. Ultimately there were enough things I didn't love about the car that, when combined with the insufficient cooling issues, I had an easy time deciding it wasn't going to end up in my garage.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

They actually let people test drive z06s?.
yep, this dealer has 5 z06's sitting in the lot. They want to get rid of them, when I rolled in with my c6z, they had no problem tossing the keys to me and my gal to take it for a spin.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 08-28-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM
SlowCorvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one I drove didn't seem to have a hunting for gears issue.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (09-04-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

still not liking the rear - it's just not growing on me, overall still looks too busy for me. I'll pass
Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
still not liking the rear - it's just not growing on me, overall still looks too busy for me. I'll pass
you probably just getting older

i need to go test drive the c7z before i blindly just buy it, gonna get the a8, tired of shifting for the last 20 years and looks like i can keep my c6z with the wifes approval!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MUKAK
you probably just getting older

i need to go test drive the c7z before i blindly just buy it, gonna get the a8, tired of shifting for the last 20 years and looks like i can keep my c6z with the wifes approval!!!!!!!!
Maybe , and maybe why I registered with GM to get the ZL1 info sent to me
Old 08-29-2016, 10:01 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

the styling is just "too much" for me. To busy--not classic---
The electronics are just "too much" for me--again to me it doesn't matter how much faster it is because of the electronics--- Hell I cannt drive mine 10/10's anyway.
Horsepower doesn't make up for weight, and boosting an engine is cheap power. No excuse for the heat issues. I am really disappointed in GM on this model.
The seats are better. Back up camera is great but the rest ....meh
If I won one in a contest or something---I would sell it.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:08 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe , and maybe why I registered with GM to get the ZL1 info sent to me
what ZL1 info? camaro?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:11 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I want to like to the C7Z....but so far, you couldn't give me one for free.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:24 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MUKAK
what ZL1 info? camaro?
yes (with 10 spd auto)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Between the rear and the "spats" they tacked onto the front wheelwells instead of using proper widebody front fenders, I just can't get past the looks. I will say that I got next to one on a country drive that was black and that color looked good because it blended with the black lower panel in back and the spats. But keeping black clean is way too much work for me.
Originally Posted by olddragger
the styling is just "too much" for me. To busy--not classic---
The electronics are just "too much" for me--again to me it doesn't matter how much faster it is because of the electronics--- Hell I cannt drive mine 10/10's anyway.
Horsepower doesn't make up for weight, and boosting an engine is cheap power. No excuse for the heat issues. I am really disappointed in GM on this model.
The seats are better. Back up camera is great but the rest ....meh
If I won one in a contest or something---I would sell it.
Funny you should mention electronics. We have a small Vette group of about 30 cars, with 3 C7Zs and 4 other C7s. One guy picked up his Z with the museum delivery option, which is a drive of about 2300 miles. While driving home and in the middle of nowhere all of his displays went out- no speedo, gas gauge, nothing and if memory serves the car went into limp mode. He had to find a random dealership to get repairs done.

Another friend just bought a new Z about a month ago and went about 3 states away to get a deal. He and his wife spent a few extra days there because the car shut down before they even bought it due to a short that took something like 2-3 days to find & fix.

Another C7, a Z51, has been into 2-3 dealers numerous times over the last 2 years because it keeps going into limp mode during trips and leaving them stranded. It continues to happen. They could easily qualify for the lemon law but he has significant health issues and I don't think they feel up to the battle. On a recent visit, when the service dept. told him what they were going to do to try to fix it, he told them they could set it on fire for all he cares.

Then, one of the other C7s is silver and the paint is so mottled that I cringe when I look at the car. Apparently this is a known problem with silver cars. Mercifully, the owner isn't a big car guy and he hasn't even noticed....or so it appears.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:04 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Good feedback---just think about 5 years down the road and how the electronics may or may not hold up!

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove a c7z06 auto

Old 08-30-2016, 04:07 AM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

my local Carmax had a 7mt c7z, they were letting people drive it pretty much no questions asked, i had to run to the airport so couldn't drive it, still beating myself over it
Old 09-02-2016, 11:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm glad gm isn't offering c7 z06 track test drives at monte cello as I'd have a hard time not ordering one after driving it.

I'm sure it's amazing and with the 20 percent they are offering these days you d have a tough time ever finding a better deal.

Still I'm holding off awhile. I have a hard time understanding the front wheel spat thing visually. The cars amazing and it looks great.

I'm just not digging those front wheel well spats...on colors other than black white or silver.

I know eventually I'll break down and buy a c7 z06.....but seeing that black one in the dealer section of this forum is dam tempting at 67 grand brand new...

I'm glad it's black because I promised myself I'd never buy another black car after the present corvette I have goes...

What a ridiculous color....I'm washing and waxing this bitch every week...

I've gotten so good at it I can wash and spray wax this thing in 12 minutes flat...

Thanks for the original posters review. I haven't even test driven the A8 either....I'm sure it's intuitive and I do think I want my next corvette to be an automatic...I'm not sure but I think with the new performance parameters of the automatic I might like it after decades of driving manual transmissions...

Now that the automatics are quicker...I'm tossing around the idea...

Glad they aren't offering that Monticello track day events....

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-02-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:59 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

yes (with 10 spd auto)
If I was to get rid of my C6Z06, it would be for the new ZL1.

I think it looks a million times better then the C7Z06.

The front end just looks so much more aggressive.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Test drove a c7z06 auto