Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] basic build plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
To avoid pain buying and installing a cam that ends up failing smog I'd contact a well known tuner and give them your goals,.

been working on this, 1 competent guy 40 min away and 3 hours away is synergy who does a lot of smog cams. Ill be following Kohles advise at AHP in the end, wish I could have his tuner do it but he is 9 hours away

From what I understand the tuner will make or break you here, and some cams are harder to dial in. Provided you stay with a more mild cam, it should be fairly easy to pass.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:58 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep, the tuner is critical.
As you may know (someone already mentioned), the gains are going to be marginal with a small cam, bigger intake and no headers. Gotta get more air out. Maybe you could install the LG headers after getting it smogged, then every x years put the stock exhaust on to smog it. Or more extreme, register the car in Nevada. Outside Carson City and Vegas areas there are no emission laws whatsoever.
The LG headers have a kick *** collector proving more power down low in the RPM band than traditional headers and they will provide the air in/out balance needed to get more power with the cam and intake modifications.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
been working on this, 1 competent guy 40 min away and 3 hours away is synergy who does a lot of smog cams. Ill be following Kohles advise at AHP in the end, wish I could have his tuner do it but he is 9 hours away

From what I understand the tuner will make or break you here, and some cams are harder to dial in. Provided you stay with a more mild cam, it should be fairly easy to pass.
Only other advice is don't trust everything you read on the internet, or things shops say. I would talk to several local shops, and their customers. See if anyone has a combo like you want. Don't have any set number goals, because car will make whatever it makes.

I would be talking to Ryne@CMS and seeing what his experience is and see what he recommends for a cam.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Sounds like its going to be a nice build...especially with a 116 cam. Nice livability yet all the power you'll ever need. If you're going with the MSD intake, might as well go Mamo.....more power, smooth, and they look awesome.
The following users liked this post:
outhouse (10-24-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

AHP knows a thing or two about "smog" friendly setups through stock exhaust manifolds. You're in good hands OP...but you already knew that. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...?highlight=AHP

Just the TB, I wont do the heads on this one, ive heard the flow well enough stock. If there were any uneven casting marks or roughness I might clean up the intake as well.
With the MSD...be prepared to do just that. Or have Kohle clean it up along with your TB.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Build is starting on the 3rd. car should be on jack stands and quite a bit cleared after work Saturday.

Having Kohle port the heads, and he will match it to the 116 custom grind they offer.

Will probably have him do the TB as well. Will end up being an AHP build design wise, with my labor and a local tuner.

Last edited by outhouse; 08-31-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:04 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Build is starting on the 3rd. car should be on jack stands and quite a bit cleared after work Saturday.

Having Kohle port the heads, and he will match it to the 116 custom grind they offer.

Will probably have him do the TB as well. Will end up being an AHP build design wise, with my labor and a local tuner.
Looking forward to the results
Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Especially looking for independent dyno numbers!
I have AHP ported heads/intake man/LG headers with a (perhaps) slightly smaller cam. Runs great, hauls ***, but made NOWHERE NEAR the numbers they've been throwing around.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowanker

Especially looking for independent dyno numbers!
I have AHP ported heads/intake man/LG headers with a (perhaps) slightly smaller cam. Runs great, hauls ***, but made NOWHERE NEAR the numbers they've been throwing around.

Could care less about numbers as most dynos are semi accurate at best, and little things like 160 thermostat also inflate actual numbers.

My goal is 95 added HP.

Estimates

Cam 35
Tune 20
Thermostat ? depends on heat soak but it wont be negative or 0
Head Porting 10
Valve job 5
Intake 20
TB porting 5
Old 09-03-2016, 11:13 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Much easier tear down then expected. 3 hours in, and the intake is off, car on jackstands and coolant drained and a few exhaust bolts out all loosened up.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Much easier tear down then expected. 3 hours in, and the intake is off, car on jackstands and coolant drained and a few exhaust bolts out all loosened up.

Three hours in the heads should be off. You must have been having a beer between each bolt.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:12 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
Three hours in the heads should be off. You must have been having a beer between each bolt.

That was exactly the time. From the point you see in the pictures lol. Sorry no air tools.

Its my day off so I'm taking my time, and its my first time getting into a LS7 or a C6.

Took an hour to unbolt and remove the heads, and organize the valve train.

An hour for exhaust bolt removal

And the rest of the time alt bracket and PS pump, abs bracket, ect ect ect

Went smooth and clean
Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Got the heads boxed and ready to mail. Forgot it was a holiday or they would be headed down to AHP

Today I took it easy and just removed water pump and rad. What a pain it is getting the pass side rad to condenser clip. Of course rad and condenser are full of crap that needs pressure washed out.

Don't want to pull rims and tires and steering rack until the day I'm ready to pull the HB bolt out. My flywheel locking tool should be here by Thursday my next day off.

So far all plans are working smoothly and easy with no skinned knuckles LOL
Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Got the heads boxed and ready to mail. Forgot it was a holiday or they would be headed down to AHP

Today I took it easy and just removed water pump and rad. What a pain it is getting the pass side rad to condenser clip. Of course rad and condenser are full of crap that needs pressure washed out.

Don't want to pull rims and tires and steering rack until the day I'm ready to pull the HB bolt out. My flywheel locking tool should be here by Thursday my next day off.

So far all plans are working smoothly and easy with no skinned knuckles LOL
Often times its a lot easier to pull the radiator and condenser as a single unit. Its also easier to put them back in as a single unit. It helps out to have an extra set of hands to help guide it in and out but if not its still easily doable.

We will contact you as soon as we receive your heads!!!

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 09-06-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Often times its a lot easier to pull the radiator and condenser as a single unit

Thank you for the tips.

Agreed.

I didn't have the evacuation pump and I managed after about 90 minutes. It will go back in in a few minutes luckily.

I'm going to cover the motor and pressure wash the condenser, it is full of debris. Also take the next day and half off cleaning carbon deposits on the pistons, and getting the rack and old cam out.

Will order all other parts tomorrow from you so I can get the cam here before the heads are finished.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Thank you for the tips.

Agreed.

I didn't have the evacuation pump and I managed after about 90 minutes. It will go back in in a few minutes luckily.

I'm going to cover the motor and pressure wash the condenser, it is full of debris. Also take the next day and half off cleaning carbon deposits on the pistons, and getting the rack and old cam out.

Will order all other parts tomorrow from you so I can get the cam here before the heads are finished.
10-4 Sir!
We will speak soon.

Also we offer support as part of the sale when you purchase heads from us. So if you ever have any questions during re assembly we are just a phone call or email away.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

making progress

Working full time while doing this, 6 bores done 2 to go.

Tomorrow the flywheel locking tool shows up so I can attempt the HB bolt.

Get notified of new replies

To basic build plans

Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Looks nice and clean! Take your time, treat it like you are going to sleep with it
Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Looks nice and clean! Take your time, treat it like you are going to sleep with it

Thanks Brother! Always do when messing with a motor I love. Thing is a work of art motor wise. Amazing small block.

Its my dream car. 36 years ago you should have seen me trying to break a HB bolt free having a ford 302 hanging from a tree on a come-e-long, a hand on a bar locking the flywheel and one on the breaker bar. My knuckles were all torn up. Come a long way since then and ill try and do it right as rain.

Ive had only new cars the last 15 years, so its good to exercise the old mechanic brain and get he tools oiled up again.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

OK parts all ordered and paid for.

Picked up a MSD from Hib Halverson so my intake will be the one from his article, saving me a few hundred.

Head reached AHP and all parts ordered.

#4 ported and decked .010
116 cam/lifters/gaskets
plugs and wires

So by the time its tuned it will be right at 5k shooting for 95 added HP.

Buddy has a 600hp lambo and I cant let him get away from me lol

Quick Reply: [Z06] basic build plans