Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] OEM Brake Calipers Unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Default OEM Brake Calipers Unavailable

I took my Z06 to the dealer along with Carbotech pads for a brake job. I have a GMPP extended warranty by the way. The service writer (really decent guy) tells me the tech said the rear calipers are busted (something about a screw that would not tighten) and they will get new calipers for me under the warranty. Fine. Then 3 almost 4 weeks have passed and I am told that there are no calipers to be had. This is the same story I got when I wanted to change the calipers on my GS to red a couple of months ago. Do any of you all know where I can get new OEM rear calipers for my car as I think I need to help the dealer in his search for the parts. Also I am considering reconditioned calipers. Thanks
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have not replaced the caliper but I ran into the bolt not tightening they are referring to, it is one of the two bolts that mount the caliper. On mine it was not pulled in tight from manufacturing, so when you loosen it will round off the the part of the caliper that holds it tight. I got mine tight but will eventually have to replace the caliper as well.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:35 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

same thing happened to mine. I was able to get the bolt tight, but I know I will catch hell when it is time to come off. The insert spins when trying to tighten the bolt.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by El Paso Vette
I took my Z06 to the dealer along with Carbotech pads for a brake job. I have a GMPP extended warranty by the way. The service writer (really decent guy) tells me the tech said the rear calipers are busted (something about a screw that would not tighten) and they will get new calipers for me under the warranty. Fine. Then 3 almost 4 weeks have passed and I am told that there are no calipers to be had. This is the same story I got when I wanted to change the calipers on my GS to red a couple of months ago. Do any of you all know where I can get new OEM rear calipers for my car as I think I need to help the dealer in his search for the parts. Also I am considering reconditioned calipers. Thanks
TPS has rebuilt calipers in all sorts of colors. Not sure what the replacement cost was going to be through the dealer, but maybe you can be reimbursed by GMPP or the dealer for the set? Probably wont want to warranty the work though since it not their parts.

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet.../calipers.html
The following users liked this post:
El Paso Vette (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:31 PM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the posts. Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

There are 6 guide pin bolts and 2 caliper mounting bolts used with the caliper. The guide pin bolts usually freeze into the caliper and become permanent parts of the caliper until it gets hot. The caliper mounting ears have steel inserts in them for the caliper mounting bolts to screw into. I don't know how large of an insert can be purchased but it may be the caliper is repairable just by replacing the insert.However, it takes a lot of force to break that insert loose or strip it. I hammered on those inserts for years removing the bolts and reinstalling them multiple times per year and never came close to stripping them out of the caliper mounting ears.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Brake Calipers Unavailable

Quick Reply: [Z06] OEM Brake Calipers Unavailable