Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] CSibbs C6 Z06 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 12:02 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Overkill? It takes 10 minutes per side. Are you in that big of a rush? I guess you also don't check pushrod length then also?
Hell yeah I check pushrod length. That varies way more from car to car and needs to be within a pretty tight range rather than just simply clearing.

If a cam specially designed for a stock bottom LS7 doesn't clear stock pistons, that cam designer did a bad job designing that off the shelf cam. I don't think someone would ever push the limits that far on a general purpose off the shelf cam.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
Hell yeah I check pushrod length. That varies way more from car to car and needs to be within a pretty tight range rather than just simply clearing.

If a cam specially designed for a stock bottom LS7 doesn't clear stock pistons, that cam designer did a bad job designing that off the shelf cam. I don't think someone would ever push the limits that far on a general purpose off the shelf cam.
Or the cam was not manufactured to that specification. It happens. It's an expensive lesson to learn the hard way.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:24 AM
csibbs
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Change of plans. Got antsy. Total time 3 days. 37 hours labor time. Steering rack was a bitch to get in. Here's a video just now of the initial startup though.

Edit: I cant figure out how to embed....

https://youtu.be/0OR-ZTS2Aic

Last edited by csibbs; 09-17-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

To embed there is a little chain link icon when you type your thread/post. Hit that link button copy your YouTube link, there you have it an embedded link.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:38 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Sounds nice! nothing abnormal, way to go!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:43 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csibbs
Steering rack was a bitch to get in.

Mine has the two alloy C clips, put mine in night before last, it was a bit of a pain lol

I turned mine toward the passenger side and pulled the rack into it and them when In place tapped the c clips straight and used the woof end of a mallet to tap it in.

I'm still waiting on heads, hope to hear that sound next week.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 AM
csibbs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brandon619
To embed there is a little chain link icon when you type your thread/post. Hit that link button copy your YouTube link, there you have it an embedded link.

https://youtu.be/0OR-ZTS2Aic
Thank you, now I know for future posts!

Originally Posted by outhouse
Mine has the two alloy C clips, put mine in night before last, it was a bit of a pain lol

I turned mine toward the passenger side and pulled the rack into it and them when In place tapped the c clips straight and used the woof end of a mallet to tap it in.

I'm still waiting on heads, hope to hear that sound next week.
I was able to get the drivers side in no problem, I slid the bolt in and then focused on the passenger side. A little force was needed to persuade it.

I'm looking for a tuner in NJ for a street tune for this car. With the ZR1 Lip and side skirts the car will not make it onto a dyno unless it's in ground.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Looks like you have a few extra parts there. Might want to have that looked at.

j/j.. Sounds good!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:20 AM
csibbs
Instructor

Looks like you have a few extra parts there. Might want to have that looked at.

j/j.. Sounds good!
Surprisingly, I didn't even have one leftover bolt!
All that other stuff is for a car my buddy is working on. He pushed it out of the garage and let me borrow his space for a couple days while his motor is at the machine shop
Old 09-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Surprisingly, I didn't even have one leftover bolt!
All that other stuff is for a car my buddy is working on. He pushed it out of the garage and let me borrow his space for a couple days while his motor is at the machine shop
I was referring to the spark plug wires on your cowl. It was a joke though..
Old 09-21-2016, 08:15 AM
csibbs
Instructor

I was referring to the spark plug wires on your cowl. It was a joke though..
Damn I was oblivious.

So I was going to get tuned today but ran into a massive coolant leak in the rear of the block.
I think it is the coolant crossover in the rear as i never plugged it.

Has anyone dealt with prc heads and did you install a plug in the rear?
I'm thinking about just installing another crossover on the rear of the block.

But man this can sounds mean I'll upload a video with the longtubes... Of course I still took a video even though it was leaking coolant!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 AM
csibbs
Instructor

Coolant crossover was never plugged in the rear. Something I will never ever overlook again!

On my way to get tuned. Will post up with numbers later today.

Can someone who runs 40 weight oil chime in on this.... My oil pressure seems pretty high. 2k rpm and the car is at 65psi but I gave it a Rev almost to redline and it was about 85-90. I understand thicker oil more pressure but before at idle running 30w it was about 35 and now it is idles at 50psi.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Coolant crossover was never plugged in the rear. Something I will never ever overlook again!

On my way to get tuned. Will post up with numbers later today.

Can someone who runs 40 weight oil chime in on this.... My oil pressure seems pretty high. 2k rpm and the car is at 65psi but I gave it a Rev almost to redline and it was about 85-90. I understand thicker oil more pressure but before at idle running 30w it was about 35 and now it is idles at 50psi.
sounds like u revving it to redline when the engine is still cold? like morning start cold for psi to be that high?

i run 0-40 m1 and my psi is at 50-55 while normal driving and 30-35 idling
Old 09-22-2016, 11:15 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Mine idles cold around 60 ish with 3-30w
Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 PM
csibbs
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUKAK
sounds like u revving it to redline when the engine is still cold? like morning start cold for psi to be that high?

i run 0-40 m1 and my psi is at 50-55 while normal driving and 30-35 idling

Nope that was fullly warned up after driving about an hour. I would never Rev a cold motor!
I think it's just my heavier weight oil. Nothing blew up on the dyno today so that's good
Old 09-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Damn I was oblivious.

So I was going to get tuned today but ran into a massive coolant leak in the rear of the block.
I think it is the coolant crossover in the rear as i never plugged it.

Has anyone dealt with prc heads and did you install a plug in the rear?
I'm thinking about just installing another crossover on the rear of the block.

But man this can sounds mean I'll upload a video with the longtubes... Of course I still took a video even though it was leaking coolant!
It's not a problem to cap them if you remove the intake manifold. There are block off plugs used by LS6 and later LS1s that will bolt right in. Or, you can rivet them with a specialized GM rivet.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...Q08aAm-Z8P8HAQ

Last edited by Tech; 09-23-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM
csibbs
Instructor

It's not a problem to cap them if you remove the intake manifold. There are block off plugs used by LS6 and later LS1s that will bolt right in. Or, you can rivet them with a specialized GM rivet.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...Q08aAm-Z8P8HAQ
Hey man, I actually was able to find the plugs at a local GM dealership. Popped the intake manifold off and installed them. Then checked for leaks. So far so good. I actually got tuned yesterday. Made 588/513 on a dynojet.

I seem to be having clutch issues now though, and am trying to diagnose if it is the master or not.

The clutch will hold power up until redline, but as soon as I shift into the next gear, and get back on the throttle, it slips, bad.

I have changed the fluid every day for the past 3 days in an attempt to dilute the old fluid out. Usually after one day of driving its dark brown again.
​​​​
Could this also be related to the long tubes creating excessive heat by the master cylinder line that runs to the slave cylinder? Should I try running dot 5.1 that has a higher boiling point but is still compatible with dot 3/4?

Last edited by csibbs; 09-23-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To CSibbs C6 Z06 Build Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Hey man, I actually was able to find the plugs at a local GM dealership. Popped the intake manifold off and installed them. Then checked for leaks. So far so good. I actually got tuned yesterday. Made 588/513 on a dynojet.

I seem to be having clutch issues now though, and am trying to diagnose if it is the master or not.

The clutch will hold power up until redline, but as soon as I shift into the next gear, and get back on the throttle, it slips, bad.

I have changed the fluid every day for the past 3 days in an attempt to dilute the old fluid out. Usually after one day of driving its dark brown again.
​​​​
Could this also be related to the long tubes creating excessive heat by the master cylinder line that runs to the slave cylinder? Should I try running dot 5.1 that has a higher boiling point but is still compatible with dot 3/4?
I swapped to Wilwood's high temp stuff. It helped with a grinding issue I was having shifting into 2nd at WOT. It won't, however, prevent your fluid from turning dark. One theory on that is clutch dust making it past the seals on the slave cylinder.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:44 PM
csibbs
Instructor

I swapped to Wilwood's high temp stuff. It helped with a grinding issue I was having shifting into 2nd at WOT. It won't, however, prevent your fluid from turning dark. One theory on that is clutch dust making it past the seals on the slave cylinder.
That was also my theory too after reading rangers clutch care information.

I'm currently refilling the master cylinder over and over again to dilute the old fluid out. I just refilled new clear fluid in, and pumped 30 times and the fluid came out black with lots of particles
Old 09-23-2016, 01:14 PM
csibbs
Instructor

Name:  NwL5CJ6.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  861.2 KB
​​​​​​

After doing 30 sets of the ranger clutch care method, my fluid finally appears to be staying clear. I will know for sure once I take a spirited drive today.

Quick Reply: [Z06] CSibbs C6 Z06 Build Thread