Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Monster LT1-S Triple Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 PM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Monster LT1-S Triple Clutch Review

Just received this Monster LT1-S Triple disc clutch along with new slave w/monster billet release bearing. Had it installed recently and wanted to give a quick review after putting about 900 miles on it. My Z is a 07 h/c/i e85 and makes 600+.

Pedal Feel: Stock or slightly lighter than stock. Extremely happy with the feel

Noise: I've had aftermarket clutches in the past that make a lot of noise at idle or when you push the clutch in while cruising. I can't tell a difference from stock to this. very quiet

Engagement: when first installed before putting any break in miles it started to grab in the first 1/3 of the travel of the pedal. After break in it now engages about dead center and about exactly where my stock ls7 clutch was. Slipping this clutch is very easy and has zero chatter. I've had 3-4 ppl drive it around the parking lot and nobody could believe it was even an aftermarket clutch. It honestly drives better than the ls7 clutch.

High RPM Shifting: No issues with getting locked out or not disengaging after beating the car up all day on a hill country cruise. Shifts great and grabs hard

Launch: I haven't had the opportunity to get to the track with it yet, but i've launched it a few times on the street to get an idea of how easy/hard it will be to slip and was pleasantly surprised that you can slip it without issue. it is def not an on/off switch, but let it out too quick and you can see why its able to hold 1000+hp as it grabs hard.

Overall I honestly can't find a bad thing to say about this clutch. This is the 4th clutch i've personally owned in a corvette and have driven many others and this is by far the best. I'd give this clutch a hard look if you're looking to upgrade
Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 PM
southspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thats good to hear. Sounds like its as good as monster says.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Who did the install?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

This clutch is also going on my Z06 today. There is also no break-in time needed.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the twin disc Monster LT1-S clutch in my car and have to say it is great clutch. It's not an apple to apple comparison since you have the triple disc but like yours mine drives like a stock clutch. The only difference I noted compared to yours is the engagement point. On my clutch it engages at the last third of the pedal travel and there is less pedal travel before the clutch is fully engaged so there is less room to slip the clutch. To try and put it simply it's more grabby than the factory LS7 clutch the car came with.

Other than that the pedal feel is very similar to stock maybe a bit more heavy there is virtually no noise that I can hear.

Haven't beat on mine enough yet to find out how it holds up to abuse but so far it's the best clutch I have ever owned.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:18 AM
ioutrun
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also running the LT1-S triple in my C6Z and it's doing great so far. It certainly has very good street manners. I've made a 9 second pass (1.49 60') on it already without any issue making 700rwhp. Aiming for low 1.3x 60 fts next time at the drag strip. Glad you are enjoying it.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:48 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

I have just installed one on a friends Z06 and he seems to really like it. I didn't like the monster remote bleeder compared to my katech unit. it works fine its just the straight fitting, opposed to katech's 90degree one makes it real sketchy trying not to break it when lining up the torque tube.
The clutch on the test drive feels great. engages like stock, slips easy, and no chatter. If i had to pick at something, It's a really heavy unit........but it performs well so it doesn't really matter.
Customer support from Jacob is great. He helped me with a few quick questions even passed 10pm
Old 09-11-2016, 12:46 AM
C5Z 8 U
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy A
Who did the install?
JMS Racing in San Antonio did the install

Originally Posted by ioutrun
I'm also running the LT1-S triple in my C6Z and it's doing great so far. It certainly has very good street manners. I've made a 9 second pass (1.49 60') on it already without any issue making 700rwhp. Aiming for low 1.3x 60 fts next time at the drag strip. Glad you are enjoying it.
I actually tried to run it yesterday at the track and somebodies car threw a rod 3/4 way down the track and sprayed oil everywhere so never got to make a pass Glad to hear yours worked well at the track though!

Originally Posted by rpmextra
I have just installed one on a friends Z06 and he seems to really like it. I didn't like the monster remote bleeder compared to my katech unit. it works fine its just the straight fitting, opposed to katech's 90degree one makes it real sketchy trying not to break it when lining up the torque tube.
The clutch on the test drive feels great. engages like stock, slips easy, and no chatter. If i had to pick at something, It's a really heavy unit........but it performs well so it doesn't really matter.
Customer support from Jacob is great. He helped me with a few quick questions even passed 10pm
It is heavy. I was concerned I would lose a bit of power with it, but even though its heavier the MOI is same or less than stock clutch so it doesn't lose power. Also, we threw it back on the dyno to check things out fine. No power lost

Last edited by C5Z 8 U; 09-11-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

I have a Monster LT1-S in my car, and I've installed two others in customer cars. Such an amazing system, and a tremendous value.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:32 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

LT1-S twin in my cammed Z06 as well.

Have about 10k miles on it. Takes the autocross abuse with no signs of fade. Handled the crazy steep hills of San Francisco without missing a beat. I'd buy it again.

Last edited by ttx350z; 09-11-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

Got this clutch installed last week and it is awesome. It honestly feels like the stock clutch and has the just a small amount of chatter at idle. Otherwise, you would never know that this clutch can hold 1000whp.

The engagement is a little closer to the floor and the pedal is slightly stiffer.

The other great benefit with this clutch is that it needs no break-in. This clutch was installed and my car was immediately put on the dyno for some 700whp Nitrous pulls. The reason why it doesn't need to be broken in is because it is made of organic materials.

I highly recommend this triple disc clutch.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

bump from the dead. - anyone go with the monster 18lb steel flywheel Vs the 28lb one they offer ?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Karb0n
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having trouble picking one myself. I'm never going to exceed 700whp so i'm thinking about the Monster LT1-S.. I see tons of people with heads/cam that run the triple that's rated at 1000whp which i would think is over kill

Would it make sense to just go with the twin if nitrous or forced induction is not going to be done down the road ?

Just bought my 2013 Z06 and it has 14k miles - I've noticed the clutch sticking to the floor twice now in the last week. I figured i might as well just do the clutch and slave while its getting built

Last edited by Karb0n; 08-06-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:34 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Karb0n
I'm having trouble picking one myself. I'm never going to exceed 700whp so i'm thinking about the Monster LT1-S.. I see tons of people with heads/cam that run the triple that's rated at 1000whp which i would think is over kill

Would it make sense to just go with the twin if nitrous or forced induction is not going to be done down the road ?

Just bought my 2013 Z06 and it has 14k miles - I've noticed the clutch sticking to the floor twice now in the last week. I figured i might as well just do the clutch and slave while its getting built
You might wanna check your master cylinder and fluid before going to that extent. there is a service bulletin for the master and GM is replacing some for free. Also, I would bet your fluid could be really dirty and that should be addressed before anything else.

Also, just throwing there out there, the triple disk, because of the material the monster uses, is actually easier to slip a bit and still feels really light. I have installed 2 on friends cars and they both liked them quite a bit.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Karb0n
Instructor

You might wanna check your master cylinder and fluid before going to that extent. there is a service bulletin for the master and GM is replacing some for free. Also, I would bet your fluid could be really dirty and that should be addressed before anything else.

Also, just throwing there out there, the triple disk, because of the material the monster uses, is actually easier to slip a bit and still feels really light. I have installed 2 on friends cars and they both liked them quite a bit.
Ill have to check out the bulletin,I appreciate it. I've seen a few threads regarding people having the same issue.. I will change the fluid since that shouldn't be too difficult

The car will be getting heads/cam,Lt's intake manifold all at the same time. So i figured the stock clutch would be the weak link either way.. Everyone seems to love the triple as you mentioned,Just thought it could be overkill.. But at the same time i don't want to do it twice lol
Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Karb0n
Ill have to check out the bulletin,I appreciate it. I've seen a few threads regarding people having the same issue.. I will change the fluid since that shouldn't be too difficult

The car will be getting heads/cam,Lt's intake manifold all at the same time. So i figured the stock clutch would be the weak link either way.. Everyone seems to love the triple as you mentioned,Just thought it could be overkill.. But at the same time i don't want to do it twice lol
Depends what you plan on doing with the car, but since the triple allows it slip a little on the engagement, it will work much more like the stock unit and the pedal is very light.... Almost too light if you ask me lol. There's many great clutches out there. I refuse to push or refer any as they are expensive and Ive seen love and hate for almost every brand.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience is identical to the OP. Great clutch!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Karb0n
Instructor

Depends what you plan on doing with the car, but since the triple allows it slip a little on the engagement, it will work much more like the stock unit and the pedal is very light.... Almost too light if you ask me lol. There's many great clutches out there. I refuse to push or refer any as they are expensive and Ive seen love and hate for almost every brand.
It will 100% be a daily driver and my only car. I'll use it for some occasional highway runs and maybe the track once in a while. I'm not looking to break records

Yeah that makes sense,I've been reading up on many setups and like you said. Everyone has good and bad experiences with all brands. I was sold on the mantic but the shop im using is having much better success with the monster

Get notified of new replies

To Monster LT1-S Triple Clutch Review

Quick Reply: [Z06] Monster LT1-S Triple Clutch Review