Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A minor howl when RPM drops at front of engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:42 PM
r2boxers
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A minor howl when RPM drops at front of engine

I am getting a slight howl in the front of the engine when RPM drops from over 2500 RPM to idle. This is my 2007 Z06. Have disconnected the belt and it still makes the noise. Have ruled out water pump, altenator, power steering. Harmonic balancer is also in good shape. Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. Can not hear when in cabin. Sound is more apparent when the hood is open. There are times that it will not make the howl sound, but more than not. Any ideas are appreciated. Have in shop today to replace radiator and hope they can find sound. All under Warranty. Thanks

Last edited by r2boxers; 09-09-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by r2boxers
I am getting a slight howl in the front of the engine when RPM drops from over 2500 RPM to idle. This is my 2007 Z06. Have disconnected the belt and it still makes the noise. Have ruled out water pump, altenator, power steering. Harmonic balancer is also in good shape. Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. Can not hear when in cabin. Sound is more apparent when the hood is open. There are times that it will not make the howl sound, but more than not. Any ideas are appreciated. Have in shop today to replace radiator and hope they can find sound. All under Warranty. Thanks
Was the shop able to diagnose?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Most likely the ac compressor mine does the same thing. Did you disconnect the ac belt as well? Rev it with the ac on and listen close then turn the ac off and repeat...I'll bet money it goes away
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 PM
r2boxers
Instructor

Originally Posted by redbird555
Most likely the ac compressor mine does the same thing. Did you disconnect the ac belt as well? Rev it with the ac on and listen close then turn the ac off and repeat...I'll bet money it goes away
I did disconnect the belt and the noise was still there. My mechanic could not diagnose. It has since stopped making the noise. A 2-3 day problem. So glad it went away, whatever it was.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you disconnect the ac belt or just the main drive belt there are 2
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM
r2boxers
Instructor

Originally Posted by redbird555
Did you disconnect the ac belt or just the main drive belt there are 2
Ahh, you got me on that one. I did not disconnect the A/C belt. Now that I think about it, the air conditioning was on when noise would occur. Could only hear it with the hood open. This all makes sense now! Thanks for your input. I can now put this mystery to bed.

Get notified of new replies

To A minor howl when RPM drops at front of engine

Quick Reply: [Z06] A minor howl when RPM drops at front of engine