Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone with experience dropping the rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 AM
scubastevedds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with experience dropping the rear end?

I picked up a B&B Fusion that has exhaust cut-outs welded on that make installing impossible without doing something to create more clearance since the flanges hit and make guiding the exhaust around the rear axle impossible without doing something to make more space. Visual inspection makes it look like unbolting the crossmember/brace that holes the rear end would allow everything to drop down an inch or two. Is this true? I think 1-2 inches would be enough room. Can anyone with experience messing with dropping the rear end assembly give me tips/advice on this?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 PM
itsaaron
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to do the same thing on my car with Akrapovic. I'm not an expert so I had a buddy help me who is a car guy, but we had to unbolt the crossmember/brace. I don't really have any tips or advice, but I can tell you I personally didn't get 1-2 inches....but it did seem to help some. Every little bit counts.
The following users liked this post:
scubastevedds (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Loosening the (4) 22mm nuts will give you 1.5-2". If that isn't enough, consider removing the nuts and lowering the suspension cradle enough to stick the new exhaust in. I would disconnect the brake hard lines on the driver side though, otherwise you will bend the metal hard lines.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:33 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Keep an eye on the amount you drop the drive train too. If dropped too low it's possible to damage the firewall area with the back of the engine. 1-2 inches like you're planning should be fine though.

Maybe loosen the 4 diff. mount nuts from the cradle & support that assembly separate when dropping the cradle. (37 ft. lbs.)

GM procedures also call for using NEW nuts when replacing the cradle assembly. Some people have had them loosen up and cause problems. They also tell you to use only hand tools to loosen & tighten those nuts. Those long bolts that go thru the frame are kept from spinning by some sort of tab up top. If you break that, and the bolt now spins by using impact tools, you may have opened up a giant can of worms. Torque is 81 ft. lbs.

I just had the trans & rear end out last week so it's all pretty fresh in my head.

Last edited by jft69z; 09-24-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:03 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

I had my entire rear cradle out a dozen times on my C5Z and not once did the nuts loose any torque value. You don't need new nuts.. just check them periodically. These are not TTY.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:03 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
I had my entire rear cradle out a dozen times on my C5Z and not once did the nuts loose any torque value. You don't need new nuts.. just check them periodically. These are not TTY.
They're conical washer lock nuts. Do what you want, but they're 10 bucks.....

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with experience dropping the rear end?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone with experience dropping the rear end?