Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Clutch recommendations, RPS,Mantic,Monster,Mcleod??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 AM
winker2112
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote is for mantic. I've had McLeod in other cars and loved it, but a few guys around here were having problems with the rxt so it scared me away. I've had the mantic for a few years now, and all though I don't put a ton of miles on the car I love the way it drives. I've launched it a handful of times and I can say that this clutch is forgiving when tryin to slip a little out of the hole. I will also say that I've driven an rps equipped z06 and although it did feel more aggressive in regular stop and go, it was capable of hot lapping 1.3 60fts all day on a well prepped track (not me driving). So I can see why RPS might be a drag race favorite.
The following users liked this post:
tdeweese (10-04-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am running the Mcleod RXT and have no issues to report. Making right @ 800ft lbs of TQ and 750 to the tire. It grabs and drives flawlessly... I have put maybe 1500 miles on it and ran it in two 1/2 mile events... The car is currently under the knife for some additional power for the Wanna go Fast event in Nov. I am confident that it will take everything I throw at it.
I am curious though if you guys commenting on the clutch have used it? Or just heresay from what you have read, heard. I would be interested to know exactly what you don't like about it and why?

Last edited by TXGS507; 09-26-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 AM
cr133r
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
I would speculate on a bad install. I can safely say that I have abused my RPS more than any clutch should be abused. This included 100s of high rpm launches, 10s of thousands of street miles and teaching my teenage daughter to drive a stick.
Followed everything to a T on the install. Specs were right in the middle of the range specified. I did a web search and I'm not the only one that has seen a short life out of the clutch. Maybe it didn't like road racing and all the shifting that goes along with that. I don't really know. Crappy deal having to pull it out so soon.
The following users liked this post:
Eli-Z06 (03-20-2024)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:00 AM
lucxy
Racer

I am running McLeod RXT on my z06 making around 600 whp for about a year now. No problems so far. Very good clutch with stock clutch pedal feel. I am running it with stock slave and stock master cylinder. No complaints.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes, driven and installed RXTs. They are just hit or miss. You get a great one with no issues, or your get a junk one. If you get a great one it is a great clutch. If you get a junk one they will send you another, but that risk alone is not worth it to me.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:38 AM
lucxy
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yes, driven and installed RXTs. They are just hit or miss. You get a great one with no issues, or your get a junk one. If you get a great one it is a great clutch. If you get a junk one they will send you another, but that risk alone is not worth it to me.
What do you mean junk? What exactly was the problem with RXT?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:24 PM
eb_rat_7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to chime in and say that overall I've liked my RXT. My car is mainly street driven and gets occasional 1/4 mile passes. Basic H/C car with a fairly mild cam (231/242, 115, .652"/.652") making 560 whp/ 500 wtq on a mustang dyno. Steel flywheel makes for easy launches and decent enough in stop and go traffic. Very easy to modulate when new. Some noise at idle and occasional chatter pulling away from lights but very tolerable.

HOWEVER, I'm at 9k miles and its starting to engage at the very top of the pedal travel. I'm expecting that I'll be needing a new clutch this winter or early spring. Considering that I've only been the the strip once with it/only made 4 passes and its mostly been street driven, I am frustrated with this short life. Yes, I do commute in it once or twice a week during the summer and get stuck in stop/go traffic, but that still seems like very rapid wear. I was hoping to get at least 15-20k from it.

I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on various manual transmission cars and am usually very easy on clutches. I put 30k miles on my cammed LS1 RX7 without replacing the clutch. I managed to hold 340 wtq with a daily driven big turbo setup on a stock clutch wrx for 60k miles before it wore out. My last wrx went 90k with full bolt ons before I sold the car, still on the original factory clutch. It just seems hard to fathom that I wore out the RXT in 9k miles of fairly mild driving. Perhaps I got a dud of a clutch and this is not the norm for the RXT. Despite overall really liking the RXT, when I replace it the next clutch will not be a RXT.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by lucxy
What do you mean junk? What exactly was the problem with RXT?
Won't disengage, won't engage, won't hold power, noisy, melts slaves, won't shift.

Like I said, if you get a good one, great. If you get one that isn't good, you are going to have major issues. Great clutch if you get a good one but their quality control is poor in my experience. I rather go with a brand that consistently puts out good parts than one that seems to be a 60/40 split of good/bad.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:10 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by cr133r
Followed everything to a T on the install. Specs were right in the middle of the range specified. I did a web search and I'm not the only one that has seen a short life out of the clutch. Maybe it didn't like road racing and all the shifting that goes along with that. I don't really know. Crappy deal having to pull it out so soon.
Just wondering if you made sure to hone the splines on the input shaft to remove any shoulder caused by the old clutch and also lube the input shaft with an anti-seize compound. I can also say that high rpm launches put far more wear on a clutch than a road course. BTW- I do agree that some of those clutches had issues around 2009 with the stack height causing premature wear. That was resolved quite sometime ago.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Makes sense... I do have friends running the Mantic twin disk and swear by them... I'll be beating on my RXT in a couple of months. Hopefully it will continue to hold up to the abuse. I am hoping for close to 900rw and around 850 ftlbs of Tq......

QUOTE=Unreal;1593132333]Yes, driven and installed RXTs. They are just hit or miss. You get a great one with no issues, or your get a junk one. If you get a great one it is a great clutch. If you get a junk one they will send you another, but that risk alone is not worth it to me.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2019, 04:34 AM
pierrel
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thread resurrection, instead of creating a new one.
I just ordered a RXT clutch to replace my current RXT clutch in my C6Z06. The current clutch is not slipping, but stutters and jerks when engaging from a stand still. Both flywheel and floater has "burn marks" from heavy slipping forced by bad tuning. I simply didnt know better...

Since im ordering one to be shipped to Sweden, i just wonder if i should go with a LT1-S instead, since you claim quality isnt the most consistent with the RXT. Sending a unit back to the US for replacement is expensive!
Car will be 520-530 whp, street car and used on road coarse with R compound tires, and pretty much never drag raced at a track. Using Tick master cylinder, and a stock slave cylinder.
Should i simply get the LT1S and be happy and confident in the setup? Lightened Flywheel or anything else to consider?
Thanks!

Last edited by pierrel; 12-26-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:41 AM
spartan8270
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Monster LT1-S and be done. Great clutch and great price. Never had an issue with either of mine..
Old 12-26-2019, 10:40 AM
pierrel
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan8270
Monster LT1-S and be done. Great clutch and great price. Never had an issue with either of mine..
Great thanks!
Just worried about the Tick Master cylinder Im using. Ive read its not supposed to work with the LT1S clutch? Maybe just buy a new stock one and put in? Anyone know the part number of the updated GM version?

Edit: Found this
"The LT1-XX series twins can use an adjustable master, the Green billet twins can not."
That must mean all the LT1 twins work with an adjustable master, but not the race multi disc ones, since those are the only one which are green?
Dont know if id like to live with the increased pedal effort though...

Last edited by pierrel; 12-26-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Clutch recommendations, RPS,Mantic,Monster,Mcleod??