Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Josh,

I hope you can get some good pics of the 2" ARH installation. This is the header I will put on my car, and I'm a bit concerned about clearance for the large tubes.

Race on!
Hey Scott, I'll definitely take some high resolution pictures of the installation. From our correspondence I know you like details! My 2" ARH headers are the part number for the ZR1, hopefully ARH designed them to sufficiently clear the ZR1 Oil Cooler. The LG's interfered about 1/8" and I had to grind on the casting of the oil cooler for clearance, which was unfortunate to do on a 300 dollar brand new oil cooler. The LG's also interfered a touch with the factory oil cooler lines, I emailed LG about this issue and didn't receive a response. It wasn't the end of the world, I just had to remove the lines and bend them on the workbench. They are steel, and are HARD to bend, you are superman if you can bend them while they are still bolted to the oil pan.

Shouldn't be long now until installation.

Regards,
Josh
Old 12-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks Josh! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Race on!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:36 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Another race car part. In preparation for my 1/2 mile race at Ocala coming up I bought an MSD 2-Step from Summit tonight on sale. Looks like a clean install, very important to me. The only wire ran into my cabin through the firewall grommet is the harness for the wideband. Hoping to tap the clutch switch at the ECM harness as cleanly as possible.

Does anyone have one of these on their car that they can give some feedback on? Thanks.

You may have to run a relay with this two step depending on the year of your car. My 07 required it, but I never actually installed it all. Read the lingefelter instructions for more info.

I don't think I've seen someone use a two for half mile. Isn't this kind of unusual?

The reason I didn't install mine is because I slip my clutch a lot at the track and as soon as that bottom clutch switch loses contact the rpms are going to shoot up. I figured just flooring the car myself would do the same thing so I've been doing that and have gotten excellent 60ft times. I do think this would help a little with consistency but not a ton, especially as your clutch wears and engages further and further avove the floor.

Last edited by rio95; 12-16-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:37 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Scott, I'll definitely take some high resolution pictures of the installation. From our correspondence I know you like details! My 2" ARH headers are the part number for the ZR1, hopefully ARH designed them to sufficiently clear the ZR1 Oil Cooler. The LG's interfered about 1/8" and I had to grind on the casting of the oil cooler for clearance, which was unfortunate to do on a 300 dollar brand new oil cooler. The LG's also interfered a touch with the factory oil cooler lines, I emailed LG about this issue and didn't receive a response. It wasn't the end of the world, I just had to remove the lines and bend them on the workbench. They are steel, and are HARD to bend, you are superman if you can bend them while they are still bolted to the oil pan.

Shouldn't be long now until installation.

Regards,
Josh
​​​​​​

Is there any downside of running the zr1 part number? If not, I don't understand why they would have two different pns.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rio95
​​​​​​

Is there any downside of running the zr1 part number? If not, I don't understand why they would have two different pns.
No. I would imagine the routing is a bit different due to the close proximity of the ZR1 oil cooler.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

You may have to run a rely with this two step depending on the year of your car. My 07 required it, but I never actually installed it all. Read the lingefelter instructions for more info.

I don't think I've seen someone use a two for half mile. Isn't this kind of unusual?

The reason I didn't install mine is because I slip my clutch a lot at the track and as soon as that bottom clutch switch loses contact the rpms are going to shoot up. I figured just flooring the car myself would do the same thing so I've been doing that and have gotten excellent 60ft times. I do think this would help a little with consistency but not a ton, especially as your clutch wears and engages further and further avove the floor.
The MSD can be activated with a choice of either a 12v, or a ground. I'm very much interested in consistency, and a better 60' launch.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

You may have to run a rely with this two step depending on the year of your car. My 07 required it, but I never actually installed it all. Read the lingefelter instructions for more info.

Do you have the MSD 2-step or the Lingenfelter 2-step?

I installed an MSD 2-step on a customer's car this morning, a 2007 C6Z. We soldered a lead to the gray wire on pin #6 of the C1 Harness for the CPP switch signal. This is a grounded signal, so we used the grounded activation input to the MSD box. Works perfect

Last edited by Josh B.; 12-10-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

No. I would imagine the routing is a bit different due to the close proximity of the ZR1 oil cooler.
That's precisely why....fitiment issues started showing up on 2011+ C6Z's with a few different header brands because the ZR1 oil cooler was carried over to the Z06 that year.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:59 PM
RAllen25
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run a 2-Step for years and they are great for maintaining consistency and adjusting your launch according to track conditions.

You only ​​​​need to give light throttle to get the revs up to bounce off the limiter, then release the clutch as slow or as fast as you want, while giving as much or as little throttle as you want. You have full control of the launch.

The best part is... finding your launch Rpm at the starting line is one less thing to think about when preparing for lift-off....

​​​Josh, very nice build btw!!!

Last edited by RAllen25; 12-13-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:06 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAllen25
I've run a 2-Step for years and they are great for maintaining consistency and adjusting your launch according to track conditions.

You only ​​​​need to give light throttle to get the revs up to bounce off the limiter, then release the clutch as slow or as fast as you want, while giving as much or as little throttle as you want. You have full control of the launch.

The best part is... finding your launch Rpm at the starting line is one less thing to think about when preparing for lift-off....

​​​Josh, very nice build btw!!!
Thank you for checking out the build thread man, I'm glad you like it.

That is great advice regarding the amount of throttle needed to activate the 2-step. I have three launches with the system now and I was WOT during each of them. I was very consistent. When I get my personal car running again I will test and tune for the best possible launches on given track conditions. One thing is certain, 2-steps sound awesome, and holding an rpm is one less thing to concentrate one like you already wrote. My friends car with HCI, solid roller, RHS block, 3.90 gears, M/T DR's wanted about 3300 rpm on the 2-step with very little clutch slip. With more passes I would have increased rpm and added a bit more slip to get rid of a slight bog. 1.7 60' times.
I'm thinking that my personal car with 3.42 gears will want around 4000rpm and clutch slip for the first 5-10 feet given similar track conditions. The 3.90 gears really didn't need much rpm to get wheel spin. 3500 and it spun, but 60' didn't change.

The 2-step really adds a new level of launch control for sure. It is sort of a tool to help figure out what works and what doesn't. Awesome product.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Here is a slow-mo video of the 3500 rpm launch. Yours truly in the pilot seat, I rebuilt the valvetrain on this customer's car with PAC springs/components spec'd supplied by Tony. I really dig the slooooooow pop pop pop of the slow motion 2-Step.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Regular speed video of a 3300 rpm launch, I'm driving on this pass as well. 2-Step just sounds wicked.

Last edited by Josh B.; 12-14-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:47 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

"How I think I drive"

....."How I really drive" <insert regular shifting video>

Last edited by Josh B.; 12-14-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:59 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

"How I think I drive"

https://youtu.be/VAOxhpEAkQo

....."How I really drive" <insert regular shifting video>
Hahahahah!!!

Great videos! Loved the slo-mo then real speed of the launch. Really shows how you can set up the two-step to get you right at the verge of tire slippage but not excessive. Nice driving!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Default Ported Dry Sump Oil Passages

Per Katech recommendation, I port matched the oil passages of the LS7 oil pan to the same size as the passages on the Katech Red oil pump.

Dremel and some sand rolls.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Per Katech recommendation, I port matched the oil passages of the LS7 oil pan to the same size as the passages on the Katech Red oil pump.

Dremel and some sand rolls.

Looks good! I can't wait to see your car run! I think I'm more excited to watch your car run instead of mine.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MickVette
Looks good! I can't wait to see your car run! I think I'm more excited to watch your car run instead of mine.

That's awesome, thanks man. I know what you mean, I follow threads pretty closely.

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock

Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

That's awesome, thanks man. I know what you mean, I follow threads pretty closely.
Two off subject questions (sorry about that):
1. What size tire did you run at last years event?
2. What were your RPM's and gear when you crossed the line?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MickVette
Two off subject questions (sorry about that):
1. What size tire did you run at last years event?
2. What were your RPM's and gear when you crossed the line?
Last year I ran 162.94 mph in 4th gear, turning between 6800-7000 rpm. It was tached out, but I couldn't see exactly!

I was running 345/30-19 Michelin Pilot Super Spinners. Brought a knife to a gun fight

Video:
Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Last year I ran 162.94 mph in 4th gear, turning between 6800-7000 rpm. It was tached out, but I couldn't see exactly!

I was running 345/30-19 Michelin Pilot Super Spinners. Brought a knife to a gun fight

Video:
https://youtu.be/AfIA76q_HvA
I think 2 things might help top speed.

A taller tire so you can keep it in 4th longer and maybe a ZR1 box with the .82 5th gear with the thought you will run right through 4th at the new power level and will need 5th.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mamo Motorsports Build: MMS Heads, Solid Roller, MSD, Factory Shortblock