Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Starter failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 11:15 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
Only work done to the stock starter was solenoid, guy said the guts of the motor still look like new.

Warmed it up 20 minutes and it starts clean and us sounding normal, then drove it a 4 miles with a few hard pulls and started it twice in the driveway and it sounded normal after about 40 minutes of running.

Ill post back if I get any abnormal starts tomorrow, but so far I'm putting this to bed as a bad solenoid.
Sounds like you have it handled. I like that about you. No waiting around- get after it and "Git 'er done".
The following 2 users liked this post by Les:
Gary '09 C6 (11-08-2016), outhouse (11-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

2 coats of this over solenoid
3 coats over the motor
1 coat on the alloy you see to the left of motor since this is the hot side and I want to reflect as much as possible.

Car starts perfect since it was cold, Warming up right now.
I'm sure you know this but for those that don't, the actual "switch" part of the solenoid is under the black plastic cover.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:49 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the solenoid available as a separate part or do you have to buy a complete new starter if it fails? If it is available separately does anybody have the part#?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:54 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Is the solenoid available as a separate part or do you have to buy a complete new starter if it fails? If it is available separately does anybody have the part#?

I ran across a few on ebay. Don't know the number.

But my local start shop had them for 30, but I had then tear it apart and make sure the rest was perfect and beed blast it [clean it]
Old 11-14-2016, 07:29 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Not fixed.

Today it was hard to turn over. All mild driving no 3-7k pulls at all.

Guessing it is in fine tuning, because that is when I first noticed the issue. It was so rich at idle it would die easy and sometimes die when idling. he took what ever number up by 5. Maybe not enough? maybe tuners in here have an idea?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Not fixed.

Today it was hard to turn over. All mild driving no 3-7k pulls at all.

Guessing it is in fine tuning, because that is when I first noticed the issue. It was so rich at idle it would die easy and sometimes die when idling. he took what ever number up by 5. Maybe not enough? maybe tuners in here have an idea?
Well, crap. Sounds like you need to drop a dime on your tuner. Is he reasonably nearby?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Got one off amazon last week. Just sitting in the garage in case I need it.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Les
Well, crap. Sounds like you need to drop a dime on your tuner. Is he reasonably nearby?

I hope its a tune related, I'm guessing here. My tuner did not think it had anything to do with the tune. He thought it was battery, its why I had it checked. [passed]

So for the last week it has started clean hot or cold and I noticed a slight decrease when warm over the last few days.

oil pressure idle hot is the same as before the cam swap at roughly 37, cold start ups, it idles at 65psi, so I don't think its bearing related.

I swear to best of my recollection, the first time I remember it doing this was during the start ups and stops during tuning.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Hopefully its something simple...you've addressed the obvious already.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:28 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Hopefully its something simple...you've addressed the obvious already.

Simple, throw a high toque starter is probably my next step.

While it may be tune related, the car runs great.

I have heard a few in the "my starter cranks slow" threads going as far back as this site has record, that to rich may be the issue. But I'm lost to the reality of a rich tune here, gladly claim ignorance on the new school tuning topic.

It can only be starter, or tune, or bearings by my understanding.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:18 PM
stefuel
Drifting

From your first post

"Ran it to orielys and they tested the battery and it passed and failed for the starter test."

So exactly what test did they do with the starter when they told you it was bad.

As any motor ages, the insulation in the motor windings begins to break down to the point where the little wires begin to touch each other. adding heat makes it worse. The effect is like fewer windings resulting in less starter torque. Before I spent any more money, I would closely inspect the battery connections and all ground connections. Get a second opinion on the battery If everything else checks out and your sure the motor isn't stiffening up, go for a high torque starter.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:09 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stefuel

So exactly what test did they do with the starter when they told you it was bad.

Hooked up her hand held computer to the battery, did the CCA and the screen showed a pass score.

Flipped a switch and had me start the car, and started drew to much Amperage.

. adding heat makes it worse. The effect is like fewer windings resulting in less starter torque.

And the starter shop bench tested it, but cold it passed. Sucks they could not bake it first lol.

, go for a high torque starter.

Probably where I'm going next.

Before the cam swap it never had issue.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:30 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Double check ALL of your grounds. How old is the current battery. Get a second opinion on the battery. Here's the deal. If the windings in the starter are bad, the starter will show a high current draw. But, if the motor is to tight, the starter has to work harder. The harder it works the more current it draws. Now think about what you've just done to the engine. More compression means harder to crank over. Did you mill the heads???
Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stefuel
. Now think about what you've just done to the engine. More compression means harder to crank over. Did you mill the heads???

That's where I'm going with it as of now. Small mill .010

Just running things by people here. High torque is coming ill probably do a 4hp thunder.

Double check ALL of your grounds.

Did that before posting a word

if the motor is to tight

Morning fires over fast though.

Its not getting tighter when hot, not a rod bearing issue, which is really my only concern.

If the windings in the starter are bad

May be, and your last reply made sense. maybe there shorting/grounding out when hot.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

This below fixed the issue. Fits but it is tight. I was emailed a few times for answers by people searching so I thought I would update the thread.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM
OwensRacing
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This below fixed the issue. Fits but it is tight. I was emailed a few times for answers by people searching so I thought I would update the thread.

Has the problem showed itself again. I’m dealing with something very similar.

If if you haven’t had any issues. I’m gonna do a hi tq starter as well check and clean all connections when I’m doing the header install.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Starter failure