Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Travlee
snow... that is a nasty four letter word

the more i have driven mine since install the more i notice it. like you said, it feel more planted and predictable (to me)

oh, and the GF made a comment about the shocks... she said "i thought the new shocks were supposed to make it ride better, i think it made it worse"

Haha! My wife said virtually the exact same thing. When I took her out in it yesterday she said: "Well that was a waste of money, I can feel all the little bumps now!" I said "Exactly, now get out."
Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I just installed DRM valved Bilstein shocks. Took her for a ride and she feels more planted. Will know more when I get her on the track in the spring.

I have contemplated doing sway bars and going with R888 tires. Currently running PS2s and stock sway bars. I have read alot of feedback on the R888. How do you like them? And do you think just an adjustable front sway is sufficient?
I like them. Great tire for the money, especially if you are running a square 18 set-up, which I would recommend. Cups may give you a bit more grip but way more $$$. I think the rear stock bar is pretty aggressive as-is. I would start with the front. Can always upgrade the rear if you experience any understeer at the limit.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bright1984
I don't think you'll get close to the feel / tightness / nimbleness of the other smaller sports cars, regardless of the suspension mods. I have a H/C C6Z06 with T1 sways, LG2 coilovers, corner-balanced, running R888s. I also have a stock BRZ (minus brake fluid, pads, and tires). I track both cars. BRZ is way more fun to drive in the twisties / at sane speeds. Car is very nimble with much sharper / shorter steering rack and more immediate turn-in. BRZ is more enjoyable on the road because you can effectively redline the first 4 gears, while fighting to keep the rear from sliding out of control going through some twisty back roads - without going directly to jail. It's a dog at low rpms, but moves just fine >5k. Z06 suspension (even stock) is way too capable to really shine / be enjoyable on the street. I've done 3x+ the speed limit on back roads, and the car just shrugs it off - no body roll, no drama, can't feel the suspension really working for it. Things change quite a bit on the track. The car is completely glued to the road, and easily generates 1.35+gs with good tires. The feel and feedback start to come through the harder you push it. If I were you, I'd start with the shocks you have, at the very least do a front sway bar, and invest in some good (stiff sidewall) tires and good alignment. This will improve things quite a bit - just be realistic with your expectations.
Good Advice. I bought tires back in May. The first mod I did was pulling the exhaust fuse. The 2nd was selling my runflats and upgrading to the most extreme 200TW tire in the stock sizes...the RE-11s. The stiffest sidewall tire is the runflats...nothing else is on that level.

Last edited by Mig233; 12-06-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mig233
Good Advice. I bought tires back in May. The first mod I did was pulling the exhaust fuse. The 2nd was selling my runflats and upgrading to the most extreme 200TW tire in the stock sizes...the RE-11s. The stiffest sidewall tire is the runflats...nothing else is on that level.
I was going to ask about the tires. I switched out from stock runflats to MPSS and it was like I upgraded the entire suspension. This was less obvious in the cold weather (when I had them switched out) but once the warm weather came it was unbelievable how grippy the car became.

I'm not slamming the RE-11's because I've heard nothing but good things but I've also heard from others and experienced myself that the MPSS is the best overall street tire money can buy, at least when it comes to performance vs. tire life vs. noise/comfort vs. wet weather traction. This tire has it all and not many tire mfg.'s will guarantee 15K on the rear tires for a car like this not to mention guaranteeing 30K on the fronts.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 12-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
You're not understanding the issue. Or, not an issue, but what they are saying in how if feels differently. It has nothing to do with a cars limits. For example: I have a BRZ that I also have been tracking for years. The car is absolute turd, but the handling and feel is razor sharp. It has a tiny steering wheel and a much more modern/tight chassis. I drove that for a long time, then went back to my highly modded C5 and it felt like I was driving a school bus...with its ridiculously huge steering wheel, loose chassis feeling, and looser steering. The difference is MASSIVE, especially in a 2700lb car.

I get it that people don't understand. It's something you have to experience. I ended up buying parts to try and replicate the feel of the BRZ with DRM shocks, Poly bushings, T1 sway bars, aggressive alignment, and R888 tires and drove the ZO6 for a while...absolutely loved it. It feels amazing. I got back in the BRZ with RE71R tires, solid steering rack bushings, light Enkei wheels, and otherwise 100% bone stock suspension...and felt like I was in a go kart. I mean, it's not even comparable how quick it steers, changes direction, and how solid the chassis is. The C5Z I have is still faster...once it settles into a turn, the mechanical grip is just absurd. But if FEELS so sloppy compared to the razor sharp BRZ.

Mig233:
It sucks, but don't spend a lot of money dedicated to making a Corvette feel like those lightweight, quick steering sports cars. No matter what anyone says, it just won't happen. It won't. Short of going full coil over package, I've already tried it. The Corvette stands on its own merits and is an awesome car, but it will NEVER feel, steer, or change direction like a BRZ, s2000, etc. It's a complete waste of time and money to try and make it happen.
Thanks for that. I was contemplating going with DRM's or Viking adjustable shocks, which I might do still but explaining that the car is not meant to feel like a go-kart explains a lot. What I gathered from your experience is:

Nimbleness and responsiveness is not congruent with superior handling

I also am hearing that the suspension of the Z comes to life when challenged beyond what street driving can reasonably do. I felt I could resonate well with you on the fact that the Z feels asleep even when I'm going what would seem to be very fast around curves. I've learned that it's dangerous to even try.

However, if I were to try to get the same feel out of the Z, I would start strictly with the unsprung weight of the car. That is the largest difference between the Z and much smaller sports cars I think. Weight is debatable because if you drop another 200-300lbs off the Z you'd match the weight of an S2000 and others in similar categories.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 12-06-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:42 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Always glad to help a fellow bike racer. I've ridden and tracked bikes longer than I care to remember. Currently tracking a modded gen 4 ZX10R.

RE11 is a great tire; I run RE71s on the BRZ.

fueledpassion -

It's more than just the weight of the car - more than likely has to do with its dimensions. I have 2-piece rotors, seats, 18" wheels, probably a few other things I'm forgetting, and I can't say the car feels any more nimble / lighter on its feet. Although, it sure as hell helps with its endurance on the track.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bright1984
Always glad to help a fellow bike racer. I've ridden and tracked bikes longer than I care to remember. Currently tracking a modded gen 4 ZX10R.

RE11 is a great tire; I run RE71s on the BRZ..
Very Nice, thanks! I was hoping to run the RE71, but it doesn't come in any size close to the C6Z. I plan on running the RE71 on my S2000 this spring though. Quick aside, how are they? I like a really stiff sidewall tire (like the runflat, only with a tire that actually holds the road). The RE11 is definitely softer than the supercar runflats. The grip is excellent, but it's a full tread tire (10/32) so I do feel tread squirm as they only have 800 miles on them so that should improve as they wear. In retrospect, I should have gotten them shaved. I was trying to decide between the PSS and the RE11, and tire rack basically said in terms of performance, the RE11 is better in everything. I've also read that the PSS sidewall is kinda soft. I think the PSS is prob the best street tire on the market, especially with that tread wear...but with my kind of driving, they will age out before they wear out. I ran BFG Rivals on my C5Z, and loved them. Was looking for something as close as possible to them for the C6Z.

I had a bunch of street bikes 04/05 GSXR750, 06 CBR1000RR, but my track bike was an 06 GSXR600. Wouldn't it be great if we could get the same level of communication from a car that we could get on two wheels!?!?

Last edited by Mig233; 12-07-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM
bright1984
Instructor

Very Nice, thanks! I was hoping to run the RE71, but it doesn't come in any size close to the C6Z. I plan on running the RE71 on my S2000 this spring though. Quick aside, how are they? I like a really stiff sidewall tire (like the runflat, only with a tire that actually holds the road). The RE11 is definitely softer than the supercar runflats. The grip is excellent, but it's a full tread tire (10/32) so I do feel tread squirm as they only have 800 miles on them so that should improve as they wear. In retrospect, I should have gotten them shaved. I was trying to decide between the PSS and the RE11, and tire rack basically said in terms of performance, the RE11 is better in everything. I've also read that the PSS sidewall is kinda soft. I think the PSS is prob the best street tire on the market, especially with that tread wear...but with my kind of driving, they will age out before they wear out. I ran BFG Rivals on my C5Z, and loved them. Was looking for something as close as possible to them for the C6Z.

I had a bunch of street bikes 04/05 GSXR750, 06 CBR1000RR, but my track bike was an 06 GSXR600. Wouldn't it be great if we could get the same level of communication from a car that we could get on two wheels!?!?
Yeah, no contest in terms of feedback and fun factor.

RE71s - grip is really good; however I actually like the turn in response of Direzza star specs better. Also, the tire is pretty noisy, if that kind of thing bothers you for dd. I'd say PSS is probably most street oriented out of these (this is my street tire on the Z).

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z Suspension Questions